Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 136 Hot Bout

Print  
Hot Bout Winner?
Stipe Miocic 15 63%
Joey Beltran 9 38%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I don't usually do this, but I can't seem to get the hot bout to safe my life lately, so thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

The hot bout for UFC 136 will be Stipe Miocic vs Joey Beltran, and probably won't change as the other fights aren't close in pick percentages as these two. Beltran is slightly favored.

I originally had Stipe picked by UD, but after watching some brief video I could find on him, I have changed to Beltran by R1 Tko.

Stipe didn't impress me much, and seems like an early round finisher, like Beltran was starting out. Stipe only has 6 fights, 6-0, and will be making his UFC debut.

Beltran has fought 5 times in the UFC and has never been tko'd. Hung in there with Meathead and Barry. I think Beltran and Stipe slug it out early and Beltran clips Stipe and tko's him in the first. Beltran has 11 tko's and only 1 decision win.

What do others think?

Post #1   10/6/11 3:30:22PM   

Roy_nelsons_belly_lint

Learning to Sprawl

Roy_nelsons_belly_lint Avatar

Career:738-494
Camp: Kongos Jungle Buddies
Chips:
this site has a probelm with the hot bout, they pick the closest 50/50 bout, and sometimes thats stupid, because some people might not know who these guys are and just randomly pick someone. make the hot bout more important, like the opening fight for the ppv or something. not joey beltran vs miocic

Post #2   10/6/11 4:01:46PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Roy_nelsons_belly_lint

this site has a probelm with the hot bout, they pick the closest 50/50 bout, and sometimes thats stupid, because some people might not know who these guys are and just randomly pick someone. make the hot bout more important, like the opening fight for the ppv or something. not joey beltran vs miocic

Actually, it sounds like you have a problem with the Hot Bout, not the site.

No matter what fights are picked, there are going to be "some people" who might not know who guys are. That's not the site's problem, really. If you're serious about your picks, do some research on the fighters.

Post #3   10/6/11 4:07:47PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

your prop/post ratio just went to 1:1 bc you have the best name ever.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #4   10/6/11 4:09:52PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Chips:
"I believe that guy could take it all the way. I really do," said trainer Trevor Wittman, who worked with Miocic during the fighter's visit to the Grudge Training Center in Denver recently. "He's the next great heavyweight coming into the UFC. His composure, his attitude, his willingness to learn and be open to things, his toughness -- it's just all there." - Trevor Wittman

Post #5   10/6/11 4:18:48PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
The point of the hot bout is having it being the fight that is the closest in pick percentage by the PG.

Post #6   10/6/11 4:54:47PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Stipe by 3rd round finish

Woooo, this event is smokin' hot

Last edited 10/6/11 6:29PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   10/6/11 6:29:09PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Chips:
I'm glad that the ECP haven't given there opinion

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #8   10/6/11 6:51:02PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,315-754
Chips:
I honestly couldn't pick this bout for the life of me, Never really seen Miocic fight but his credentials are impressive and Beltran's knows how to throw and take a punch even thogh he's kinda a rock-em sock-em robots kinda fighter lol. I have Beltran by round 3 finish but may change it.

Post #9   10/6/11 7:23:13PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 33-43

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,344-866
Chips:
this one has me stumped also but i settled on stipe because he wears checkered crocop shorts! ive actually made him part of my parlay recently after second guessing sonnen vs stann

Post #10   10/6/11 8:22:47PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,675-1,472
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Stipe Unanimous Decision

Post #11   10/6/11 11:55:39PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

I'm glad that the ECP haven't given there opinion

Probably a good thing

Post #12   10/7/11 7:35:42AM   

brokenbrain

Learning to Sprawl

brokenbrain Avatar

Career:797-516
Camp: MMAHQ
Chips:
Stipe Miocic, only because I have to assume that if the UFC is bringing in a new Heavy Weight he better be more skilled than JB. Not saying that JB is horrible, but the division doesn't need anyone below his skill level.
Just my thoughts...

I hear you about the 'hot bout'. It's hard to do well in the points standing if you're missing the bonus pick. It's the fight I spend the most time analysing (then it changes at the last minute and I get spanked).

Good luck dude,

bb

Post #13   10/7/11 1:40:58PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Actually, it sounds like you have a problem with the Hot Bout, not the site.

No matter what fights are picked, there are going to be "some people" who might not know who guys are. That's not the site's problem, really. If you're serious about your picks, do some research on the fighters.

To be perfectly honest, Fleek, I think Maynard vs. Edgar or Stephens vs. Pettis makes more sense. I guess the Playground has a better idea of who will win those two fights, though. Otherwise, that would be the hot bout.

Edgar vs. Maynard is a freakin' coin flip from most of the people I've talked to. When I wrote up my preview, I basically said it's like choosing between a "hot blonde or a hot brunette," it all comes down to whichever one you have a preference for sleeping with.

There's multiple ways for Edgar to win that fight and multiple ways for Maynard to win that fight. The simple fact that the last match was a draw only adds compelling interest.

Shit, even Nam Phan vs. Leonard Garcia could be the hot bout. I have zero idea how he does it, but Garcia fights have screwed more fighters than Arianny Celeste. He just has an amazing ability to get the nod despite plenty of people thinking he should have lost the fight. Personally, I think it's rather funny.

This is the first time I've ever had a problem with the hot bout, though. That being said, I really don't have all that much of a problem with it now. I just think there's several fights on this card that are tricky to call and have shown in the past that they could go either way or to a draw.

Post #14   10/7/11 9:18:54PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Edgar vs. Maynard is a freakin' coin flip from most of the people I've talked to. When I wrote up my preview, I basically said it's like choosing between a "hot blonde or a hot brunette," it all comes down to whichever one you have a preference for sleeping with.

Probably Maynard because of the lower back tattoo.

Wait, were we still talking about the hot blonde/hot brunette analogy?

Post #15   10/7/11 9:27:02PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2