Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 140 headliner features champ Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,805-1,005
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I'm not at all convinced that Machida doesn't deserve a shot since Rashad can't go.

ESPN's Josh Gross makes a compelling argument right here.

Let's be real about this. Rashad has fought once in the last year. Tito stepped in last minute to replace Davis. That's the same caliber of a win as Lyoto had against Couture.

The difference between Rashad and Lyoto is that, while Lyoto lost his fight to Rampage, he's been the more active fighter. Rashad has been up and down with taking fights after his bout with Rampage. He would have had to face Lyoto anyhow if Machida's demands hadn't been so high.

Dana also has to take into account that Rashad might not be ready to go even if he does postpone the fight. How many times has an athlete had an expected return date only to have medical complications arise and they need more time. Peyton Manning comes to mind.

They had already announced Jones vs. Evans at 140 when Rashad pulled out. Tickets may not have been on sale, but Jones is one of their highest profile athletes. If they can get get one more PPV out him in 2011, that's exactly what they're going to do. To be honest, it's a no-lose situation for Dana. If Jones wins, he fights Rashad anyhow. If Jones loses, Dana can match him and Rashad up and the winner fights Machida. Who gives a shit? Hell, even if he doesn't match-up Rashad and Jones for a shot at Machida (which he would), Evans gets a rematch against the only man to ever beat him.

There's nobody available for Jones to fight right now. He dismantled Shogun (who is fighting Henderson anyhow). He just beat Rampage. Evans can't go. What's left? Phil Davis or Alexander Gustafsson? Should we bring King Mo over and feed him to Jones? Machida has only lost to two men in his career. One of those losses was questionable, at best. Simple fact remains, Jones wants to fight, Machida is there, many people feel that Machida has the best shot anyhow, let's just whip through it and see what happens.

Post #31   10/7/11 9:37:29PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,336-780
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
No problem, and I seen this coming, this fight actually makes more sense than any other fight at the moment. This is the fight that I actually want to see happen right now because the styles could make an interesting chess match.

Post #32   10/7/11 11:44:49PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's fine that this fight happens, no matter what Rashad has to be next in line and if it's either guy that wins(probably Jones, but I like the style clash) there's a score to settle there that brings a ton of hype to the fight. Most if us wanted to see this fight at some point I think, so it's obviously a good one.

Post #33   10/8/11 3:11:25AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3