Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 136's Jeremy Stephens on Anthony Pettis: 'I'm going to destroy him'

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Here at MMAjunkie.com, we largely avoid the typical pre-fight banter and promises of destruction when it comes to headlines and story intros.

But with Jeremy Stephens, an ultra-confident lightweight who meets Anthony Pettis at Saturday's UFC 136 event, it's not so much trash-talk as statements of fact.

As far as Stephens is concerned, he's not threatening anything. He's just telling you how Saturday plays out: He's going to hunt down Pettis, work the body, hit the chin, and "destroy him."

Stephens (20-6 MMA, 7-5 UFC), of course, meets Pettis (13-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) in a featured UFC 136 preliminary-card bout. The event takes place at Houston's Toyota Center, and Stephens vs. Pettis is one of two bouts airing on Spike TV prior to the night's pay-per-view main card.

Since its announcement, Stephens vs. Pettis has been pegged as an early "Fight of the Night" candidate. Stephens, though, thinks it's going to be a lot more one-sided than most predict.

"I thought stylistically this was a great matchup for me," he today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I don't think he's really going to stand in front of me. I don't think he likes to get hit. I think he's going to be on his horse a little bit."

LINK

Post #1   10/5/11 9:25:04PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Stephens has it backwards....Pettis is going to destroy Jeremy.

Post #2   10/5/11 10:00:06PM   

armbar66j7

Standup Guy

armbar66j7 Avatar

Career:217-141
Camp: The Underdogs
Chips:
im looking more forward to this fight than any other on the card, this should be fight of the night for sure, stephens has sooooo much friggen heart, but at the same time, pettis has sooo much friggen skill, even though he went in a little too confident against gritty guida, it should be fireworks, but me personally, he think if the strategic yet explosive lil heathen comes out, pettis is in trouble

Post #3   10/5/11 10:02:07PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
He's in for a rude awakening once Pettis picks him apart in absolutely every way possible.

Post #4   10/5/11 10:06:22PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:

Posted by armbar66j7

im looking more forward to this fight than any other on the card, this should be fight of the night for sure, stephens has sooooo much friggen heart, but at the same time, pettis has sooo much friggen skill, even though he went in a little too confident against gritty guida, it should be fireworks, but me personally, he think if the strategic yet explosive lil heathen comes out, pettis is in trouble

I'm with you man. This is the best fight on the card imo. I think it's going to be back and forth but Pettis has a phenomenal guard and I think that'll be the key factor in this fight. I'm way too excited for this card.

Post #5   10/5/11 10:17:47PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I am glad Stephens is going in with confidence because confidence IMO is more important than skills. If you have the skills but lack confidence, then you will be like Barry.

Sorry Barry. I like you but you need to develop more confidence in your abilities...and a little ground game wouldn't hurt either.

Back to Stephens vs Pettis: I am sure Pettis will come in with confidence as well because he has the hype machine behind him but he has not impressed me in any way so Stephens gets my default pick.

Post #6   10/6/11 12:05:38AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I am glad Stephens is going in with confidence because confidence IMO is more important than skills. If you have the skills but lack confidence, then you will be like Barry.

Sorry Barry. I like you but you need to develop more confidence in your abilities...and a little ground game wouldn't hurt either.

Back to Stephens vs Pettis: I am sure Pettis will come in with confidence as well because he has the hype machine behind him but he has not impressed me in any way so Stephens gets my default pick.

I don't want to be a name dropper, but I'm friends with both Milwaukee guys you talked about in your post and I have to say that Barry has worked harder than anyone I've ever met to get a ground game(some just aren't born ground fighters) and Pettis is proof that hard work can make you a star because he had ZERO ground game and became a stud on the ground in what was seriously a matter of weeks from what I saw.

Last edited 10/6/11 3:39AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   10/6/11 3:13:32AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Chips:
Now that I read my my post and then thought back about it I realized that it honestly doesn't matter how hard you work sometimes, how naturally skilled are you? That's why Pettis is on the verge of greatness and HD is just a guy at HW. I'm going to catch shit for this but it's true. It's a big pill to swallow.

Post #8   10/6/11 3:45:18AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
And how, pray tell, will you destroy him Mr. Stephens? Can hopes and dreams really be turned into a weapon inside the cage? He had quite a hard time with Davis, and Pettis is a much more dynamic striker. I think Pettis crushes him, hopefully gets a sub of the night since I see FOTN going to Maynard and Edgar since it will last all 5 rounds and Edgar will always be moving a lot which tends to draw that bonus, especially if it goes to a close/split decision.

Post #9   10/6/11 9:58:27AM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,516-928
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

And how, pray tell, will you destroy him Mr. Stephens? Can hopes and dreams really be turned into a weapon inside the cage? He had quite a hard time with Davis, and Pettis is a much more dynamic striker. I think Pettis crushes him, hopefully gets a sub of the night since I see FOTN going to Maynard and Edgar since it will last all 5 rounds and Edgar will always be moving a lot which tends to draw that bonus, especially if it goes to a close/split decision.

Stephens is kinda like Rampage, he has a TON of power and like Rampage, with power like Stephens has he can change the outcome of a fight in one shot, and he has a ton of confidence in himself because he knows exactly the kind of power he brings to the table. I have a cousin that has trained and sparred with Stephens up in Des Moines, and he said that Stephens hits harder than a lot of the MW that he has sparred with, which is insane when you think about it.

That said, I have Pettis picked to win due to the number of weapons he has at his disposal by comparison. I tend to favor more versatile fighters more often than not, and this is no exception. I can also say that I'm definitely not counting Stephens out. He has a crazy history of turning things around and transforming into the Comeback Kid in the third round, i.e. Davis, and Dos Anjos (which happens to be ranked fairly high on my list of most brutal KO's I've ever seen).

Post #10   10/6/11 8:47:55PM