Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mike Swick and Roger Huerta's Thailand gym meets resistance, but venture continues

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:2,006-1,108
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Mike Swick is fulfilling a longtime dream, and with fellow UFC vet Roger Huerta, he's opening an MMA gym in Phuket, Thailand.

MMAjunkie.com Radio recently caught up with Swick while he's in the U.S. following back-and-forth 24-hour trips to the Asian country.

Swick currently is finalizing plans for the new gym's opening. And though the venture has ruffled some feathers at Tiger Muay Thai and Mixed Martial Arts – a Phuket gym Swick nearly purchased – Swick said his team at American Kickboxing Academy has been quite supportive.

LINK

Post #1   10/5/11 1:10:00PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Holy smoke! Someone actually decided to do what I proposed a few years ago.

A few years ago ( 5 to be exact ), I had propose an idea to many of my colleagues and co-workers. The proposal was - If I had the money, I would go to Thailand and sponsor a handful of prospects and train them in mma.

If you guys do not know - Thai fighters are among the most disciplined fighters in the world. They train from morning to dusk. They live and breathe to fight. Training to them - is a way of life >>>>>and if someone can translate that disciplined training into mma, you will have the recipe for champions as it is evident Thai fighters rule the world of Muay Thai and Kick Boxing.

I guess Swick and Huerta heard about my proposal through the grapevine and will now become millionaires soon. It will not be easy though.... The two of them will need diplomacy and the best way to do that is to bring in a Thai guy from the United States to help encourage and support the move to mma.

God - I wish I had money....

Last edited 10/5/11 1:33PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/5/11 1:32:37PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
And if you guys don't know - most of these Thai fighters are ripped from all the vigorous training which probably started at age 5.

Post #3   10/5/11 1:45:04PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,050-1,735
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Thai fighters are ridiculous at Muay Thai man. For years I've heard talk about why there aren't any Thai fighters in mma. I mean, the work ethic of these people are crazy. I would love to see some of these guys in mma, hopefully Swick and Huerta can really put this together.

Post #4   10/5/11 2:27:04PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Thai fighters are ridiculous at Muay Thai man. For years I've heard talk about why there aren't any Thai fighters in mma. I mean, the work ethic of these people are crazy. I would love to see some of these guys in mma, hopefully Swick and Huerta can really put this together.

ego

Post #5   10/5/11 2:34:34PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Budgellism

ego

I don't really know what you mean by ego but I can only guess it is an insult to the Thai people.

Thai fighters are very proud of their heritage. Fighting for their country and in their country while in front of their king means everything to them. Many accomplished Thai fighters could easily make a good living doing kickboxing outside of Thailand but most of them choose to compete strictly in Thailand for reasons I have yet to understand.

I don't expect you to understand why they hardly compete outside of their country as I myself who has done a little bit of research on Thai fighters do not have the answers myself.

They are a proud and traditional people who would simply rather compete in their own country. I have read many articles about how some Thai fighters hated having to leave their home country to compete against others. Still - this does not really answer the question as to why they have not competed internationally as a whole- even in a sport they have ruled such as Muay Thai.

Last edited 10/5/11 3:02PM server time by KungFuMaster

Post #6   10/5/11 3:01:48PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,867-1,761
Camp: country KO
Chips:
maybe Swick should just say phuket and come back home.

Post #7   10/5/11 3:14:59PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Budgellism

ego

I don't really know what you mean by ego but I can only guess it is an insult to the Thai people.

Thai fighters are very proud of their heritage. Fighting for their country and in their country while in front of their king means everything to them. Many accomplished Thai fighters could easily make a good living doing kickboxing outside of Thailand but most of them choose to compete strictly in Thailand for reasons I have yet to understand.

I don't expect you to understand why they hardly compete outside of their country as I myself who has done a little bit of research on Thai fighters do not have the answers myself.

They are a proud and traditional people who would simply rather compete in their own country. I have read many articles about how some Thai fighters hated having to leave their home country to compete against others. Still - this does not really answer the question as to why they have not competed internationally as a whole- even in a sport they have ruled such as Muay Thai.

ego, go tell a Thai fighter that their muay thai isnt enough and that they have to train years of grappling to be champion....... ego

Post #8   10/5/11 3:40:43PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,133-655
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:
Maybe you aren't aware of wrestling in the U.S.A. The top wrestlers usually start around the age of 4 or 5 and train year round in varying disciplines - Greco, freestyle and folkstyle (high school/collegiate). They are about as disciplined as you can come, both physically and mentally. In addition, they are constantly cutting and maintaining their weight, which takes a lot of discipline and mental toughness. I dont know if you have ever scene a high level wrestler, but they are ripped as hell, have the best cardio, and are usually the strongest fighters (functional strength). Plus they know how to cut weight.

I'm not saying anything bad about Muay Thai fighters, but if they don't have any grappling skills, they will get killed in the upper levels of MMA.

Obviously, I am bias to wrestling as the best base discipline for MMA (if you coulud only have 1 discipline). However, the new generation will be MMA fighters. They will start training MMA their whole life, not just one discipline. Since Muay Thai is king in Thailand, I find it hard to believe you will get a lot of the top guys to train solely in MMA versus just concentrating on Muay Thai. If they do, they will have no more advantage then anyone else from any other country who is training MMA starting in their youth at a high level gym.

Post #9   10/5/11 4:33:58PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Maybe you aren't aware of wrestling in the U.S.A. The top wrestlers usually start around the age of 4 or 5 and train year round in varying disciplines - Greco, freestyle and folkstyle (high school/collegiate). They are about as disciplined as you can come, both physically and mentally. In addition, they are constantly cutting and maintaining their weight, which takes a lot of discipline and mental toughness. I dont know if you have ever scene a high level wrestler, but they are ripped as hell, have the best cardio, and are usually the strongest fighters (functional strength). Plus they know how to cut weight.

I'm not saying anything bad about Muay Thai fighters, but if they don't have any grappling skills, they will get killed in the upper levels of MMA.

Obviously, I am bias to wrestling as the best base discipline for MMA (if you coulud only have 1 discipline). However, the new generation will be MMA fighters. They will start training MMA their whole life, not just one discipline. Since Muay Thai is king in Thailand, I find it hard to believe you will get a lot of the top guys to train solely in MMA versus just concentrating on Muay Thai. If they do, they will have no more advantage then anyone else from any other country who is training MMA starting in their youth at a high level gym.

I am well aware of the wrestling programs in the United States but that is not what we are discussing. Furthermore, to compare the two disciplines is another topic altogether. I agree the wrestling programs in the United States are vigorous and the participants have to undergo certain lifestyles to do well but that has nothing to do with this thread.

I do agree with you that wrestling would be the single most effective art for mma but again, we are talking about Swick and his attempt to make mma fighters out of Thais.

Post #10   10/5/11 6:12:27PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

The last segment of your post is related to the topic.

What I said was - if Thai fighters translate their discipline and dedication into mma the same way as they do to Muay Thai, they would have the recipes for creating champions. Thai fighters train from morning to dusk. The training is so demanding on their bodies, they have become immune to pain which is why they fight so frequently in Thailand ( once or twice a month and some will do 3 ) . Some of these veteran Thai fighters have ridiculous records like 423 - 147.

If Thai fighters can translate that type of discipline into mma training, I have no doubt champions can be made.

Post #11   10/5/11 6:25:22PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

I seriously laughed out lout here

Anyway...

Thai fighters are absolutely ridiculous. And while they don't have grappling like we traditional think of it in MMA, Thai matches do allow throws. It wouldn't be hard for them to learn some take down defense. As Joe Rogan likes to say, 'When a guy dedicates his life so fully to one discipline and excels at it, he can translate that dedication to other sports and pick them up rather quickly.' I'm paraphrasing, but you've all heard that argument.

Haters gonna hate but I'm making this prediction now and I will remember this thread years from now:

If MMA spreads to Thailand, the 125lbs, 135lbs, and possibly 145lbs divisions will be ruled by Thai fighters (remember that Thai fighters are VERY small by our standards).

Post #12   10/5/11 9:10:49PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by machodog76

Anyway...

Thai fighters are absolutely ridiculous. And while they don't have grappling like we traditional think of it in MMA, Thai matches do allow throws. It wouldn't be hard for them to learn some take down defense. As Joe Rogan likes to say, 'When a guy dedicates his life so fully to one discipline and excels at it, he can translate that dedication to other sports and pick them up rather quickly.' I'm paraphrasing, but you've all heard that argument.

Haters gonna hate but I'm making this prediction now and I will remember this thread years from now:

If MMA spreads to Thailand, the 125lbs, 135lbs, and possibly 145lbs divisions will be ruled by Thai fighters (remember that Thai fighters are VERY small by our standards).

So I am not the only one...

Post #13   10/5/11 9:41:53PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by machodog76

Anyway...

I predict wrestlers will dominate them.

Post #14   10/6/11 1:42:21PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by machodog76

Anyway...

I predict wrestlers will dominate them.

Bets are down. Now we just gotta wait for the result

Edit: I am gonna Av Bet you so hard the first time a top Thai guys fights a wrestler.

Last edited 10/6/11 5:50PM server time by bjj1605

Post #15   10/6/11 5:49:36PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2