Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White: 'I always thought Melvin Guillard was the biggest waste of talent'

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
To add to what I said earlier, he was young and probably relied more on just talent and training in more areas.

Post #16   10/4/11 4:41:18PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I think it's all about being serious and dedicating yourself to the sport.

Guillard does have potential and I just don't think he was training effectively in the past. By effectively, I mean studying your opponents and training yourself to beat your opponent and not just training mma on a regular schedule to stay sharp and in shape.

Guillard has great attributes like strength, speed, and wrestling. The key component to his short comings in the past is probably the lack of dedication to the sport. He probably does mma on the side and only trains a little bit before a fight. If he can dedicate himself to the sport and not treat it like it is just a gig, then I can see big things happening in the near future. But at the same time, I cannot help but wonder how many precious years of training he has already lost. I don't know much about him but I am guessing he has virtually no Jiu Jitsu in his arsenal of offense or defense.

IMO, Guillard has been getting by in mma with his raw natural talents e.g. speed, strength, size and youth. He will do well with the current roster but I think it may be a little too late for the young assassin to shine as this article suggested.

Post #17   10/4/11 6:05:05PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Melvin got his act together, changed camps for the better
Good for him!!! Hope he gets a title shot in 2012

Post #18   10/4/11 8:41:52PM   

deck15

MMA Regular

Career:481-348
Chips:
He's never beat anyone with good bjj and I don't think he's going to start anytime soon he says he's been working mostly striking.

Post #19   10/4/11 9:23:22PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Melvin got his act together, changed camps for the better
Good for him!!! Hope he gets a title shot in 2012

He has never beat a top guy except Roller whos style was made for him and Dunham was never a proven top. I dont know why people cant see that he has been intentionally given people to outclass so he can either put asses in seats in his title shot or get beaten by a top guy who will then put asses in seats because he beat a "top talent" in Melvin.

He is good but vastly overhyped.

Post #20   10/4/11 9:38:59PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i think it's funny that he is in arguably the most stacked division in the ufc & some argue that a win over Joe Lauzon would make him deserving of a title shot. 5 wins is a big run, but the level of talent of those guys isn't exactly the top tier of the LW division

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #21   10/4/11 11:15:18PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i think it's funny that he is in arguably the most stacked division in the ufc & some argue that a win over Joe Lauzon would make him deserving of a title shot. 5 wins is a big run, but the level of talent of those guys isn't exactly the top tier of the LW division

its the Jim Miller hype. a bunch of wins over decent but not great fighters. sell it to the casual fan that this guy is on a X fight win streak and has cleaned out his path to the title.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #22   10/4/11 11:30:01PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Lauzon is a handful for anyone in the 1rst round. I'm interested in that the most.

Post #23   10/5/11 12:05:58AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Every time he won even when he was a "waste of talent" he thanked God, so I don't think it was a mental issue before, I think maybe God just forgot to buy tickets to the event on nights he lost.

This is definitely a case of God playing favorites. Clearly God likes Nate Diaz more than Melvin Guillard

Sometimes God wants you to beat some ass, sometimes he wants you to get your ass beat. There's nothing more humbling, really!

Post #24   10/6/11 2:03:39PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2