Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brian Stann: Sonnen 'very difficult to overcome'

Print  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Q: Chael Sonnen will be the highest-ranked opponent you've fought so far. What does it say about your development as a fighter?

Stann: I definitely take it as a compliment. It's a great challenge.

I think they were having a hard time finding anybody to fight Chael, to be quite honest with you. I think he had a lot of people he wanted to fight; nobody would fight him.

Regardless of what people want to say about him, people can't deny the guy's record, what he's been able to do. So when they called me and told me that's who I was fighting next, I looked at it as a huge opportunity.

It's not very often you get to fight somebody who's that much higher than you in the rankings. You have to take those opportunities, take advantage of them. You have to go out there and win.

I think UFC knows I'm a guy who's going to stay in the upper echelon of this weight class for years to come. I'm very happy with the match-up.

Why do you think UFC had difficulty finding an opponent for him?

At this point in his career, he's got a lot of fights. He's been doing this since 1997. He's the best at what he does.

He does a great job of putting people in the positions where he is very dominant, by using a very high-tempo striking game and world-class wrestling. It's very difficult for people to overcome.

In all honesty, I haven't seen anyone really overcome it. Even in the fights he loses, he's normally winning the bout, and if he does lose it, it's usually because he got caught with a submission while he was executing his game plan.

LINK

Much longer interview after the link.

Post #1   10/3/11 11:25:24PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Brian is a great individual and a solid fighter.....but.....he will NOT be able to overcome 'The American Gangster' that is Chael Patrick Sonnen

Post #2   10/4/11 1:25:24AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I don't like this at all.

First Sonnen says he is run-downed and now Stann says Sonnen will be difficult to overcome. There may be too much respect going into this fight and maybe both fighters will not deliver what they are capable of...

Post #3   10/4/11 11:39:22AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I don't like this at all.

First Sonnen says he is run-downed and now Stann says Sonnen will be difficult to overcome. There may be too much respect going into this fight and maybe both fighters will not deliver what they are capable of...

Chael is always run down the week before a fight.....don't worry KFM, Uncle Chael will deliver

Post #4   10/4/11 4:02:23PM