Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dominick Cruz to have finger surgery

Print  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz ignored the pain, clenched his right hand, and fought for 25 minutes Saturday night. The result: his fourth consecutive title defense and a badly damaged hand that requires surgery.

In the opening round of a unanimous decision against Demetrious Johnson in Washington, D.C., Cruz (19-1) dislocated his middle finger at the knuckle and tore ligaments and tendons, the UFC champion told ESPN.com.

"It just hurt and felt off," Cruz said. "My finger kept popping out of the socket."

"It's basically the exact same injury I had on my left hand," Cruz said. "Same knuckle, same everything. The tendon is completely ripped off the bone and my finger is popping out of its socket due to that. And the knuckle just dislocates when I make a fist. I have to get that tendon that ripped reattached with surgery."

LINK

Post #1   10/3/11 10:45:45PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
He didn't fight like he had anything broken.

But, it's not like he has any opponents lined up either since he's cleaned them out.

Post #2   10/3/11 10:54:30PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Chips:
I know he was favoring his right hand and not making a fist for periods of time in the 5th, I'd have to watch it again to see when it started, as I wasn't paying attention to it until then. But when Cruz out-strikes someone by 1 and goes for 19 takedowns, I've gotta assume it affected his standup for most of the fight. Not to take anything away from Johnson.

Post #3   10/3/11 11:03:51PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

I know he was favoring his right hand and not making a fist for periods of time in the 5th, I'd have to watch it again to see when it started, as I wasn't paying attention to it until then. But when Cruz out-strikes someone by 1 and goes for 19 takedowns, I've gotta assume it affected his standup for most of the fight. Not to take anything away from Johnson.

This made me think of your thread on dominance, Kpro. In retrospect, I think Dominick Cruz's performance on Saturday night showed a lot of it.

Dominick Cruz broke his hand (finger) in the first round of his title defense. He was fighting a very tough challenger who posed some unique threats. Yet Cruz was able to adapt to his injury and Johnson's speed and striking and put in a very good performance.

Cruz took the quicker man down repeatedly, which for there to be a quicker man inside the cage is rare for him. He got better ground position, including getting back mount and mount. He threatened with a couple good sub attempts. He was able to get up like nothing when he was taken down that one or two times. He also landed what were probably the most critical blows in the match with his knee strikes. The suplexes were awesome too

The Domin8r truly lived up to his nickname on Saturday. For him to not even mention his broken hand post-fight during his in-ring interview shows a lot of class on his part. Sure, fighters rarely like disclosing injuries, but I think he did not want to tarnish Mighty Mouse's performance. He was very complimentary to his opponent, and in doing so, I think he showed he has the spirit of a champion, as well as the hardware. I can't wait for him to get back to 100%, and hopefully he can continue dominating.

Last edited 10/4/11 12:10AM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   10/4/11 12:02:55AM