Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Charlie Brenneman camp takes no issue with stoppage at UFC on Versus 6

Print  
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Many MMA observers felt referee Mario Yamasaki prematurely stopped a fight between Charlie Brenneman (14-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Anthony Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) on the main card of UFC on Versus 6.

But Brenneman's camp does not share that view.

"Honestly, none of us have a problem with it," Brenneman trainer and manager Mike Constantino today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

UFC on Versus 6 took place Saturday at Washington D.C.'s Verizon Center and aired on Versus.

The root of the criticism stemmed from the fact that Brenneman landed on his elbows after Johnson caught him flush with a high kick a few minutes into the fight's first round (Johnson was later awarded a $65,000 "Knockout of the Night bonus). When Yamasaki waved off the bout, the AMA Fight Club fighter's hands immediately extended in protest.

LINK

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #1   10/3/11 4:34:46PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Glad to hear that...

As I have said, it may have been early according to replays and Mario was not at the best place to see everything when it happened but one has to keep in mind, the ref does not have the privilege of instant replays and he does not have all the angles of viewing. He needs to make decisions at a moment's notice to ensure a fighter does not sustain anymore unnecessary damages.

Post #2   10/3/11 5:26:20PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It was a pretty bad stoppage imo but with all things considered, I have to let it slide. Johnson was definitely primed and ready to finish that fight. He most likely would have put Charlie out with a few follow up punches so I've definitely seen worse stoppages.

Post #3   10/3/11 5:38:45PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Glad to hear that...

As I have said, it may have been early according to replays and Mario was not at the best place to see everything when it happened but one has to keep in mind, the ref does not have the privilege of instant replays and he does not have all the angles of viewing. He needs to make decisions at a moment's notice to ensure a fighter does not sustain anymore unnecessary damages.

A huge part of the ref's job is to move around and find the angle that he needs to see what is happening.

I don't think "he was not at the best place to see" is a defence for a referee, it's his job to be be in the best place. If he wasn't in the right place, that's just another thing that he did wrong, not an argument for it being a good stoppage.

Post #4   10/4/11 12:23:37AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by KungFuMaster

Glad to hear that...

A huge part of the ref's job is to move around and find the angle that he needs to see what is happening.

I don't think "he was not at the best place to see" is a defence for a referee, it's his job to be be in the best place. If he wasn't in the right place, that's just another thing that he did wrong, not an argument for it being a good stoppage.

agree.

I think he just jumped the gun. It was a big kick to a guy already on wobbly legs. The ref is probably as surprised as I am that Brenneman WASN'T out cold after that kick.

Post #5   10/4/11 9:06:15PM