Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anthony Johnson, Dana White have no problem with UFC on Versus 6 stoppage

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,325-802
Chips:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – It was a dominant performance for Anthony Johnson – one that moves him a big step toward a potential title fight with welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

But it also came with a bit of controversy.

However, following Johnson's first-round destruction of Charlie Brenneman at Saturday's UFC on Versus 6 event, both Johnson and UFC president Dana White downplayed the supposedly controversial stoppage.

Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) and Brenneman (14-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) met in a main-card bout at Washington, D.C.'s Verizon Center. The Versus-televised bout proved a lopsided affair; Johnson stuffed an early takedown and then punished a kneeling Brenneman with punches and knees. By the time Brenneman got back to his feet, he was wobbly, and he grabbed the fence to keep his balance. But that's also when Johnson blasted him with a shin to the face.

LINK

Dirty Blue

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   10/2/11 6:34:47AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I wouldn't mind one more punch thrown in for good measure by Rumble....but.....it was a good stoppage.

Post #2   10/2/11 9:00:19AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:4,170-2,435
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I was upset at first, because I knew Johnson would be hit with negative feedback, and some fans might use it as an excuse to brush off his win. But, after watching the replay again, I feel that the stoppage was was needed. Brenneman was in trouble a good 15-20 seconds due to Rumble rocking him, and when he was getting up he had to grab the cage and use it for support, which also was the reason he wasn't able to block the kick. Brenneman might have recovered quickly, but the way he fell and how his body went limp for a second after the kick landed flush cause me to believe that he was out, if only for a quick second.

Post #3   10/2/11 12:01:26PM   

LesnarISjesusWITHnoBEARD

Learning to Sprawl

LesnarISjesusWITHnoBEARD Avatar

Career:398-290
Chips:
If the fight weren't stopped, Rumble wound have Hendo/Bispinged him and won the fight anywats. Brenneman's Rocky story was over the moment this fight was scheduled. Rumble was dominating.

Post #4   10/2/11 12:24:21PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:424-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
The stoppage may have seemed early according to video footages but if other referees saw the fight as it was happening live, I have no doubt many of them would have done the same.

Brenneman was in limbo before the kick. He was in la-la land.

I think Mario did an excellent job in protecting the fighter.

Post #5   10/2/11 12:34:31PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,325-802
Chips:
It's unintelligently defending yourself isn't it? Then why take a headkick to the face...

Dirty Blue

Post #6   10/2/11 2:15:05PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
He needs a title shot...

Post #7   10/2/11 6:15:31PM   

jtgribble

Learning to Sprawl

Career:684-463
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Good stoppage? Anyone watch Kongo/Barry? He's a professional fighter, he wasn't out, let him continue the fight. Maybe he was just one or two punches from losing, or maybe not....now we'll never know

Post #8   10/2/11 7:14:45PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:865-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by jtgribble

Good stoppage? Anyone watch Kongo/Barry? He's a professional fighter, he wasn't out, let him continue the fight. Maybe he was just one or two punches from losing, or maybe not....now we'll never know

I'm with you. It was probably about to be over but how many times have we seen a fight turn around when it seemed like it was over?

Post #9   10/2/11 8:40:23PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Let fighters finish fights, let fighters get finished. Why does Big Nog get extra time to recover when fights get stoped all the time from a brutal knockdown? why do title fights go that extra bit?

It's stupid I think to have different standards based on a fights lace on a card. Let Anthony Johnson drop GSP like that and see if some ref has the balls to end it then.

Post #10   10/2/11 9:47:31PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-506
Chips:
it was definitely not a good stoppage. The guy was propping himself up and reacted within a second of the fight being called by shrugging and getting straight back up to his feet to complain.

Maybe he would've lost anyway, but it doesn't really matter, the stoppage was early.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   10/2/11 10:57:12PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
it would have been a bad stoppage if the fight was going any other way than what it was. i thought it was obvious that charlie was in for a beating. it would have gotten worse from there. rumble is an absolute animal at WW

Post #12   10/2/11 11:02:16PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:2,931-1,692
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Let Anthony Johnson drop GSP like that and see if some ref has the balls to end it then.

Post #13   10/3/11 1:33:03AM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:2,366-1,512
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
it was an early stoppage. remember the first round of sanchez v guida? or even edgar v maynard 2? anthony johnson may very well have continued to dominate, or brenneman might have recovered and put up a good fight. we'll never know. at the same time refs need to err on the side of caution so i won't fault the decision to stop it. bad call or not the ref did the right thing.

Post #14   10/3/11 10:17:43AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Let fighters finish fights, let fighters get finished. Why does Big Nog get extra time to recover when fights get stoped all the time from a brutal knockdown? why do title fights go that extra bit?

It's stupid I think to have different standards based on a fights lace on a card. Let Anthony Johnson drop GSP like that and see if some ref has the balls to end it then.

Addressing the Different standards bit.

When the paramount concern is fighter safety, some subjectivity is required.
Knowing that Forrest Griffin's punches(for example) carry less impact than say Chuck Liddell's, if both fighters are in the same situation that Rumble was in, It would serve the Referee's number one interest to stop Chuck from GnP'ing earlier than he would Griffin.

The power a fighter has is indicative of how much damage they can do quickly to a defenseless opponent. And when it comes to split-second decision making, The perception of a fighters power is important to maintaining a referee's #1 interest, Fighter safety.

Thus, fighters with huge power are going to get stoppages that are slightly early on occasion based on their reputation alone. And honestly, it's a good thing that this happens if you want the ref's to be Proficient at their jobs.

Post #15   10/3/11 10:41:56AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2