Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC champ Jose Aldo knows featherweight division won't be a permanent home

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,367-834
Chips:
There will be a time when the UFC featherweight champ's kidneys say, "No way, Jose."

A recent video documenting Jose Aldo's weight-cut for UFC 129 is proof positive.

The 25-year-old is misery incarnate as he attempts to shed the final ounces for the 145-pound limit. At one point, he refuses to get back into a bathtub containing a chemical that aids the process but creates a burning sensation on his skin.

Of course, he cuts the pounds. What's he going to do? Not make weight?

Aldo recently pointed to a weight regimen designed to pack on quality muscle mass as the cause for the battle with the scale. But he admitted a time is coming when his growing frame will no longer support the demands he must put on it to fight in the featherweight class.

When that is, he's not sure.

LINK

Dirty Blue

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   10/1/11 7:54:06AM   

calitrees

MMA Regular

calitrees Avatar

Career:2,514-1,558
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
this is a good thing Aldo probobly wont be as fast but hell pick up some strength and there are some more interesting fights at 155 than 145

Post #2   10/1/11 10:47:09AM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,531-3,180
Chips:
Aldo is a big FW, this doesn't come as much of a surprise. There are also a lot of great fights at LW for him. Cerrone, Siver, Guillard, Edgar, etc. All fantastic match ups.

Post #3   10/1/11 10:52:23AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
When is the fight with Florian going down

Post #4   10/1/11 11:25:15AM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,531-3,180
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

When is the fight with Florian going down

A week from now. I can't wait. Awesome, awesome card.

Post #5   10/1/11 11:26:48AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Chips:
im impatiently waiting for his move to 155. if he beat florian, it wouldnt hurt my feelings if he went on up

Post #6   10/1/11 1:39:18PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:1,574-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
At least he is smart and is putting on muscle mass now. Hopefully still working on his cardio to carry the weight and not lose to much speed. If (when) he gets past Ken-Flo, let him fight Mendes, then make the move up to LW.

Post #7   10/1/11 4:37:23PM   

mizike

Learning to Sprawl

mizike Avatar

Career:546-344
Chips:
It is pretty insane how these guys drop 7 to 10 pounds before a fight, some more some less, but God that has to be so fucking rough on your body and then have to recover to be in fight shape back to your normal weight. I would think going up would be much smarther, healthier and you could get more actual muscle and strength on your body then cutting to be a little lighter and quuicker. I think it is tough when your right on that line though, too big for FW, but if you move up you would then be small in the next weight class, so the fighters fight with that line I guess. Tough call

Post #8   10/1/11 5:18:28PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
he is really going to have to work on his defensive wrestling when he moves up. there arent a whole lot of guys who will want to stand and trade all fight, and the top of the LW chain is wrestler heavy (Edgar, Maynard, Guida, Bendo). i only really see guys like Guillard, Siver, and Stout willing to stand toe to toe

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   10/1/11 5:54:42PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:5,278-2,913
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I can see it now
Aldo goes to 155
Faber goes back to 145 gets another title shot. The guy gets a lot!!!
He has lost his last three. If he beats bowles he gets another. ??

I would like to see cruz vs aldo

Post #10   10/1/11 10:32:02PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by calitrees

this is a good thing Aldo probobly wont be as fast but hell pick up some strength and there are some more interesting fights at 155 than 145

Hmmm.... I think he'll be faster (due to avoiding the strain of the cut) and weaker (relatively compared to bigger fighters).

Agree about more interesting fights tho.

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #11   10/2/11 12:44:08AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,976-1,546
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

he is really going to have to work on his defensive wrestling when he moves up. there arent a whole lot of guys who will want to stand and trade all fight, and the top of the LW chain is wrestler heavy (Edgar, Maynard, Guida, Bendo). i only really see guys like Guillard, Siver, and Stout willing to stand toe to toe

I realize all we've seen is his stand-up but his very active black belt Nova Uniao BJJ is no joke for the mainly BJJ-deficient 155 wrestlers. I don't even think most upper level 155 wrestlers would be willing to attempt to pass his guard because of what it would open up for Aldo offensively from the bottom. Aldo isn't a stand-up fighter; he's an elite complete mixed martial artist.

Post #12   10/2/11 2:08:10AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Bubbles

I realize all we've seen is his stand-up but his very active black belt Nova Uniao BJJ is no joke for the mainly BJJ-deficient 155 wrestlers. I don't even think most upper level 155 wrestlers would be willing to attempt to pass his guard because of what it would open up for Aldo offensively from the bottom. Aldo isn't a stand-up fighter; he's an elite complete mixed martial artist.

Sshhhhh, let them think Hominick exposed him.

Post #13   10/2/11 3:01:17AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,976-1,546
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Bubbles

I meant to say Aldo has no ground game at all and all wrestlers at any weight class would dominate him so badly he'd quit the sport.

Post #14   10/2/11 3:13:01AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Bubbles

I meant to say Aldo has no ground game at all and all wrestlers at any weight class would dominate him so badly he'd quit the sport.

I mean, clearly! Didn't you guys see what Hominick did to him on the ground?

Post #15   10/2/11 3:27:14AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2