Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 140 briefly adds Phil Davis vs. Lyoto Machida, but UFC boss 'jumped gun' (Updated)

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
A blockbuster light-heavyweight bout was coming to UFC 140. For a short time anyway.

UFC president Dana White said he jumped the gun in announcing that former champ Lyoto Machida (17-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) will meet fast-rising and undefeated contender Phil Davis (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) at December's UFC 140 event.

Instead, he said Davis is still recovering from a knee injury.

Fighter representatives told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) they were still awaiting official word on the matchup as of earlier today. But at a UFC 139 press conference today in San Jose, Calif., White told MMAWeekly.com the fight is slated for UFC 140 and could be contested as a five-round non-title fight.

White, though, said he spoke prematurely.

"I jumped the gun on Machida vs Davis," White later tweeted. "Just found out Davis is still recovering from knee surgery. Sorry about that!"

UFC 140 takes place Dec. 10 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto with a heavyweight headliner between Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

LINK

Post #1   9/27/11 7:31:12PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,658-951
Chips:
i really want to see this fight

Post #2   9/27/11 7:35:34PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I didn't have much interest in that fight.

Davis still needs some work.

Post #3   9/27/11 7:45:24PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
yeah, I dont see davis giving machida much trouble

Post #4   9/27/11 7:48:46PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Agreed

Post #5   9/27/11 8:11:41PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

A blockbuster light-heavyweight bout was coming to UFC 140. For a short time anyway.

UFC president Dana White said he jumped the gun in announcing that former champ Lyoto Machida (17-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) will meet fast-rising and undefeated contender Phil Davis (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) at December's UFC 140 event.

Instead, he said Davis is still recovering from a knee injury.

Fighter representatives told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) they were still awaiting official word on the matchup as of earlier today. But at a UFC 139 press conference today in San Jose, Calif., White told MMAWeekly.com the fight is slated for UFC 140 and could be contested as a five-round non-title fight.

White, though, said he spoke prematurely.

"I jumped the gun on Machida vs Davis," White later tweeted. "Just found out Davis is still recovering from knee surgery. Sorry about that!"

UFC 140 takes place Dec. 10 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto with a heavyweight headliner between Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

LINK

I forgive you Uncle Dana.....I had no interest in that fight.

Post #6   9/27/11 8:16:28PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Machida's wrestling is too good.

It would be interesting to see what tactics Machida uses to overcome the reach deficit.

Post #7   9/27/11 8:36:45PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
though not an overly exciting fight, it would have added some spice to an otherwise meh card. the names are there, quality and potential barnburners not so much

Last edited 9/27/11 9:59PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   9/27/11 9:58:37PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

It would be interesting to see what tactics Machida uses to overcome the reach deficit.

that would be a good gauge for how Machida would handle Jones reach if he got a title shot.. obviously jones is better than davis but still a good gauge

Post #9   9/28/11 12:08:59AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I think his style is uniquely suited to solve this problem. He tends to move away a lot, evade. He should be able to stay out of Jones range, if he fought him.

The conventional wisdom in boxing has always been that tall fighters and guys with lots of reach are good moving back and bad moving forward.

If Jones wanted to have any kind of a fight with Machida, he'd have to be the one moving forward. Machida's leaping in attack should be able to close the distance quickly and maybe he could exploit some openings in an over confident Jones who tends to keep his hands low.

Post #10   9/28/11 12:53:15AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Davis needs a ton of work in the stand up if lil nog is countering you the way he was i honestly dont see Phil as a contender...His stand up looks so uncoordinated i really am curious if he can actually get better and his takedowns were a joke against liL nog>>>to be a top notch wrestler>..i am thinking maybe he got lucky and ppple were injured when he got his titles>>>

Post #11   9/28/11 11:31:01AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by Pookie

that would be a good gauge for how Machida would handle Jones reach if he got a title shot.. obviously jones is better than davis but still a good gauge

so you think Davis would attempt to trade with machida...i dont see that at all...

actually i see Davis trying to Wrestle everyone here on out>...

Post #12   9/28/11 11:32:54AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
Oh yeah, davis is definitely going to wrestle everybody he fights. But you have to set up your takedowns with strikes or someone with the takedown defense that Machida has is just going to push you away and punish you.

Post #13   9/28/11 12:00:57PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Davis needs a ton of work in the stand up if lil nog is countering you the way he was i honestly dont see Phil as a contender...His stand up looks so uncoordinated i really am curious if he can actually get better and his takedowns were a joke against liL nog>>>to be a top notch wrestler>..i am thinking maybe he got lucky and ppple were injured when he got his titles>>>

Lil nog can counter just about everybody on the feet if it stays upright.

Post #14   9/28/11 12:03:19PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

so you think Davis would attempt to trade with machida...i dont see that at all...

actually i see Davis trying to Wrestle everyone here on out>...

I agree with this, Machida hardly needs to worry about any reach because Davis for the most part strictly throws poor kicks. I don't think he wants to get into a kicking competition with Machida and I have yet to see him throw an effective punch. Love Davis but Machida is one of the worst match ups for him given Machidas sumo background.

Post #15   9/28/11 1:45:56PM