Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

If you're going to give out advice....

Print  
  Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

posterboy

Learning to Sprawl

posterboy Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: UFCJunkie.com
Chips:
I'm a second degree black belt in judo with about 25 yrs. experience as a student of a former U.S. Olympic judo coach I've been told by my sensei that I may be promoted to 3rd degree in the spring. I am a certified coach, instructor and referee for judo, and currently serve as an assistant instructor at a club in NYC.

Many of my training partners have been national or international level competitors, including several Olympians (although my competition track record is nowhere near as impressive). I've also learned bits of karate and aikido over the years, but my main focus has been on judo.

Post #61   7/9/07 5:09:14PM   

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Career:288-153
Chips:
^ That's really cool man, I loved doing judo as a kid and am thinking about getting back into it.

I did Hapkido and judo when I was a little one, then kind of fell out the maritial arts thing for a while to pursue other interests, and just be a kid really. Recently I've started learning some Boxing and Kickboxing and I'm looking into organizing a catch wrestling tournament or league here in my area. I'm one of those people who likes to read/watch and analyze things and pick them apart so on top of what I've learned from my formal training and doing a little bit of work casually with others who train or have an interest in combat sports I guess I just have an eye for learning and commenting on technique.

I'm still young(turning 20 this year) and I have a lot to learn but I think I pick up things quickly and I'll be glad to use my experience and little things that have helped me to aid others. Though don't expect much out of me on striking besides fundamentals and basic pointers anyone with formal training can tell you, I'm far from good at it.

I just recently enlisted in the navy and am hoping after my stint there to find a good solid school to work with and eventually become a grappling instructor.

Post #62   7/10/07 2:38:43PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I've done boxing for 3yrs and wrestling for 2yrs, and BJJ for 2yrs and I'm starting to take Judo.

Post #63   7/11/07 1:30:08PM   

AndrewRJ

Learning to Sprawl

Career:100-71
Camp: B-WOOD
Chips:
a couple months of street boxing, and a year of ghetto jit whuddup

Post #64   8/16/07 8:52:52PM   

dP

Learning to Sprawl

Career:116-140
Camp: t-nation
Chips:
Tae Kwon Do...2nd Dan...yeah yeah make fun all you want
Judo....black belt
Boxing 12 years
Kickboxing....4 years....teach a class at the local Y
Kung Fu...3 years
Muay Thai 2 years
Weight Training 15 years...I have a degree in kineseology with major in Nutrition

Post #65   8/24/07 12:47:57PM   

Vendetta

MMA Regular

Vendetta Avatar

Career:719-395
Camp: SSU Combat Club
Chips:
Started BJJ training October 2006.
Limited wrestling training.
Limited muay thai training, mostly clinchwork.

I won't be giving any advice on the latter two and it'll probably be a while until I feel comfortable giving a lot of advice on the first one.

Post #66   9/5/07 8:27:40PM   

Chris_Rendleman

Learning to Sprawl

Chris_Rendleman Avatar

Career:79-59
Chips:
i dont think i shall be handing out advice

Post #67   9/21/07 6:19:18PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
3 1/2 years BJJ
1 year Muay Thai (hopefully all works out and this summer im goin to thailand )
2 years boxing

and almost all of this at Toronto BJJ (Chute Boxe) Hooah

im still no pro, probably wont be, but i just finished 2nd in BJJ Mens LW (with GI) so im STOKED about that

and hopefully i would LOVE to learn Sambo and Judo. I think my style would work amazin if i had some sambo, and judo tosses to add to the lineup

Last edited 9/25/07 2:38AM server time by rmfg_187
Edit note/reason: Smilys didnt work lol

Post #68   9/25/07 2:37:41AM   

drunkel

MMA Regular

drunkel Avatar

Career:1,268-974
Camp: 7poundbag
Chips:
2 yrs Tang So Do
4 yrs Judo in college
2 yrs Tae Kwon Do
2.5 yrs Mauy Thai
3 yrs bjj

Not doing much right now though, bjj training is way too expensive in my area and no judo, mt is at a dirty gym. I may start akido at the college I work at to keep with something, plus its free and I have gis to use for it.

Drunkel master of the Drunken Foot Punch

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #69   1/11/08 4:48:58PM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by drunkel

2 yrs Tang So Do
4 yrs Judo in college
2 yrs Tae Kwon Do
2.5 yrs Mauy Thai
3 yrs bjj

Not doing much right now though, bjj training is way too expensive in my area and no judo, mt is at a dirty gym. I may start akido at the college I work at to keep with something, plus its free and I have gis to use for it.

Drunkel master of the Drunken Foot Punch

LOL, I've done that before, that's funny.

Post #70   1/23/08 4:17:45PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
Started wrestling when I was 8yrs old

freestlye 12yrs Greco 2yrs Folk 6yrs

I have worked as a arobics instructor 2 yrs (Go ahead and laugh i was the one the ladies wanted)

I have my personal trainers cert through A.C.E. since 1997

Played around with amature boxing

Coached high School wrestling 3yrs

Coached kids freestyle team 5yrs

Live in the 360 where they only grow bad asses also the location of Victory Athletics and ATT west

Post #71   3/15/08 2:05:05AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
OK I started with Judo when I was 5 for a couple of years, then have trained on and off in various styles over the years, some in formal training others with friends who knew different styles my formal schools include Judo, Ninjitsu, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Tang soo do and Ishnryu, informal training includes Capoeria , Muay Thai, Boxing, Fencing. I do not claim to have mastered any of these and in some schools have been offered higher belts but I have refused to take them because it just did not feel right. I am at the point where I am capable of teaching the basics espicaly of grappling which has always been my strong point, but I am still willing to learn and am looking for a teacher.

Post #72   5/6/08 8:03:17PM   

westcelt182

Learning to Sprawl

Career:825-513
Camp: MidwestSwing
Chips:
wrestling total 8 yrs (6 competing and 2 coaching)
boxing 1 1/2 years
bjj 3 months
judo 4 months

Post #73   7/21/08 1:23:44PM   

AO

MMA Regular

Career:480-289
Chips:

Posted by dP

Tae Kwon Do...2nd Dan...yeah yeah make fun all you want
Judo....black belt
Boxing 12 years
Kickboxing....4 years....teach a class at the local Y
Kung Fu...3 years
Muay Thai 2 years
Weight Training 15 years...I have a degree in kineseology with major in Nutrition

who is your judo black from and where do you teach if you dont mind me asking (pm if you want.)

also you'd thing someone with a degree in kinesiology could spell it right (jokes)

Post #74   7/29/08 2:03:59PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I could have sworn I replied to this but I couldn't find my post when I went through. I've been giving out a lot of advice and I don't want people to think I'm unwilling to share my background.

My background is mostly mix and match because I've moved around a lot (thanks, U.S. Army) but as for official times studied at schools-

Kenpo Karate- 3 years
Wing Chun Kung Fu- 2 1/2 years
BJJ- 1 1/2 years
Enshin Do Karate- 8 months
Wrestling- Middle school through most of high school
MT- 1 1/2 Years

For the past year and a half I've been between one gym and another training MMA whenever I can. I've only recently (for the past 3 months) been able to truly dedicate a major portion my life toward it. I've been training with some pretty well known fighters and a lot of great up and coming talent in the UFC and other orgs.

Unofficially I can say that I've been training Kenpo Karate for about 6-7 years, BJJ for 3 1/2, and Wing Chun for 4. I've fought in several army boxing smokers and many regional school tournaments. Boxing wise I'm not that great, but I hit hard enough to impose my will and can take a decent punch. Kind of like Chris Leben in a sense haha. (Except much prettier!)

As for my medical experience I'm a certified EMT in the state of Arizona and I volunteer my time in the ER and at local fire stations while attempting to get hired as a fireman. (No dice at the time of writing this) In the future I hope to raise my certification to the full on Paramedic level, but for right now I'm just an EMT-B. I was also a combat lifesaver in the Army so I'm trained on stupid stuff like administering IV's and general combat effectiveness health related questions.

For general health and fitness tips I've been an athlete all of my life and I'm actually midway through obtaining my personal training certificate.

Last edited 7/29/08 9:16PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #75   7/29/08 9:16:12PM   

Page 5 of 6   <<   2     3     4     5     6