Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMA club’s video of eight-year-olds in cagefighting match causes controversy

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,342-746
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Yep, you know childhood — one minute you’re sharing your Graham crackers with your best pal during recess, the next you’ve got him in a rear naked choke submission hold. How young is too young to climb into the Thunderdome?

Link

I found this and feel writers like this is the reason so many people are misinformed about the sport.

Post #1   9/26/11 5:14:22PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Yep, you know childhood — one minute you’re sharing your Graham crackers with your best pal during recess, the next you’ve got him in a rear naked choke submission hold. How young is too young to climb into the Thunderdome?

Link

I found this and feel writers like this is the reason so many people are misinformed about the sport.

I can to a very low degree understand a level of concern but I do find the article over the top. How they label it "disturbing" is almost funny. As if I will be completly disgusted at the horror which will unfold before my eyes. I've seen much more brutal displays of combat during my time in school.

Fast foward this video to around the 5:30 mark and I think this sums it up.
People fear what they don't understand and some one will always make a dollar out of fear. The public,the schools,the parents,the media,all go for the devil of the day and for some reason they continue to want to make it MMA.

Penn & Teller

Last edited 9/26/11 5:32PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   9/26/11 5:29:15PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I did not read the article but I did watch a few seconds of the fight. I have to say I disagree with young kids engaging in mma. However, you have karate tournaments for kids as well whereby injuries do take place in more than just the physical.

I cannot prove this but taking a beating at a very young age cannot be a good thing for the growing mind.

Post #3   9/26/11 6:00:03PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by telnights

Link

I can to a very low degree understand a level of concern but I do find the article over the top. How they label it "disturbing" is almost funny. As if I will be completly disgusted at the horror which will unfold before my eyes. I've seen much more brutal displays of combat during my time in school.

Fast foward this video to around the 5:30 mark and I think this sums it up.
People fear what they don't understand and some one will always make a dollar out of fear. The public,the schools,the parents,the media,all go for the devil of the day and for some reason they continue to want to make it MMA.

Penn & Teller

props but gotta spread..I understand who this can been seen as crazy to have young kids fight cause it is brutal but if you are sickened by this, what about pee-wee football or rugby, both sports which invite trying to de-cleat ppl.. This isnt boxing where u can get punched in the face for an hr and still get an 8 count. the eductaion system just keeps dissapointing me.

Post #4   9/26/11 6:02:34PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,560-1,590
Camp: country KO
Chips:
Did they wear head gear in the the thunder dome? I could be wrong it's been a while since I've seen the movie.

Last edited 9/26/11 6:22PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/26/11 6:19:47PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,232-1,201
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I read about this the other day. I've been looking for the video. Some of the comments people make regarding it to be barbaric just made me shake my head.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   9/26/11 6:33:40PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,560-1,590
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I have to wonder if this writer has ever been to a grade school wrestling match, or a Pop Warner footbal game. Parents can be absolutely despicable at these things and the kids get the crap kicked out of them. I don't think having really young kids (5-10) train in MMA is the best thing they could be doing with there time. I think TMA's would be better at age as most of them stress the spiritual and ethical aspects of the fighting arts more than MMA (which to me is more about pure competition). That being said I'd worry a lot more about my kid playing youth football, than learning MMA.

Post #7   9/26/11 6:36:28PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

I have to wonder if this writer has ever been to a grade school wrestling match, or a Pop Warner footbal game. Parents can be absolutely despicable at these things and the kids get the crap kicked out of them. I don't think having really young kids (5-10) train in MMA is the best thing they could be doing with there time. I think TMA's would be better at age as most of them stress the spiritual and ethical aspects of the fighting arts more than MMA (which to me is more about pure competition). That being said I'd worry a lot more about my kid playing youth football, than learning MMA.

Train as GSP does to be a mixed martial artist but not actually compete or sparr since at such a young age it could be damaging to their development as in any contact sport

Post #8   9/26/11 6:42:50PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,212
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I wish my parents had me doing that at their age.... or at least gave me the option

Post #9   9/26/11 6:47:40PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,853-1,062
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I started wrestling when I was 7. I know others who started way before that.

Post #10   9/26/11 7:22:13PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:
I find the fact that children are fighting in MMA disappointing. In this case context is everything. While karate tournaments provide the exact same thing, the idea is scoring points. In MMA you have two kids in a cage going for a KOs and chokes its going to seem barbaric. The bottom line is that CHILDREN should not be spectacle for fight fans. Grappling I don't havea problem with, but the effects of concussions are far too serious to expose kids to. Imagine a 14 year old looking and sounding like a punch drunk boxer because he took one too many shots to the head.

This sport has come too far and overcome so much, but to deal with a child dieing from some unknown pre-existing condition would be an ENORMOUS set back.

I love football and MMA and intend on my children participating in both, but won't allow them to practice making full contact to the head during training. And atleast football is attempting to address issues with brain trama.

My two-cents anyway.

(at the ages of 15 and 16 i'd be more receptive)

Post #11   9/26/11 7:57:19PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
My little brother is 12 and he recently asked me to start training him so that he could compete in mma tournaments.
My father even told me that he would have no problems with my brother competing. I think it's a very safe sport, with no more risk of injury than in wrestling, karate or football...

Post #12   9/26/11 8:07:57PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,971-1,169
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I have no problem with this whatsoever. The kids had how many adults in the ring with them? People who are uneducated on the subject are the ones outraged. If they took the time to learn about it like they take the time to alert the newspapers and internet site about this, they would be well aware that football is much more harmful. I've seen a kid on my little brothers football team when he was in grade school that was huge, the kid weighed 20 pounds less then me, take out 2 kids on consecutive plays and both had concussions and one had to be taken to the hospital. I would much rather have my kid in classes learning MMA and competing in tournaments then in football. Nothing against football, I just worry about what could happen to these kids when someone smashs into you that's 50 pounds more then you

Post #13   9/26/11 8:21:29PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,095-1,310
Chips:
Weve had a massive up roar in the UK about this and it drives me insane! For a start the newsapaper articles calling it `cage fighting`really shows their lack of understanding for the sport of MMA.
Some journalists are just stuck in the 1990s and if you know nothing about this amazing sport then dont talk about it!

Post #14   9/26/11 9:10:20PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I was sparring in Karate probably around age 9, I see no difference at all.

Post #15   9/26/11 9:19:16PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3