Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Spike TV to counter-program UFC on FOX 1 with Velasquez and Dos Santos fights

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,766-1,590
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Further solidifying the rift between the UFC and its longtime cable partner, Spike TV today announced counter-programming for the UFC's debut on network TV.

On Nov. 12, Spike TV will air a "UFC Unleashed" marathon – dubbed "Dos Santos vs. Velasquez: Unleashed for the Heavyweight Title" – featuring past fights with UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.

Not surprisingly, the marathon begins just as Velasquez and Dos Santos fight at UFC on FOX 1, the UFC's first show on network TV.

The event kicks off a monumental seven-year deal between the UFC and FOX. As part of the deal, which includes four annual events on FOX, other UFC programming such as "The Ultimate Fighter" and UFC Fight Night events will move from Spike TV to FOX-owned FX and FUEL TV.

LINK

Post #1   9/26/11 11:49:06AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
yeah your not going up agianst VS anymore. This is Fox and anyone who watches football (the UFC demo in a nutshell) is aware that fight is going down.

Post #2   9/26/11 12:01:58PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Spike's playing with fire on this one, imo.

I've grown to despise them (Spike) actually. They should rename themselves, "The 1001st Way to Die".

Post #3   9/26/11 12:02:20PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Chips:
Good luck spike, you not bringing down a free championship fight with old film. They would be better off running a Steven Seagal marathon

Post #4   9/26/11 12:06:30PM   

LuckyCharms

Standup Guy

LuckyCharms Avatar

Career:502-385
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Good luck spike, you not bringing down a free championship fight with old film. They would be better off running a Steven Seagal marathon

I rather see a John Claude Van Damme marathon instead

Post #5   9/26/11 12:13:39PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Spike's playing with fire on this one, imo.

I've grown to despise them (Spike) actually. They should rename themselves, "The 1001st Way to Die".

And then CSI will come in for a marathon to investigate all 1001 deaths.

Post #6   9/26/11 12:34:17PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

They're playing to the extreme casual fans here. Those fans already know to tune into Spike for MMA. Now, even if they've heard that JDS will be fighting Cain that night, they'll check spike and sure enough "Dos Santos vs. Velasquez" will be there in black and white. By the time, they realize that this isn't a build up to the fight, the Fox event will be over. I think it will work to a certain degree. People who don't follow the sport closely can be fooled easily. I used to work with a guy that would ask if I'd seen the UFC the night before. He'd say it anxiously, knowing that I liked to discuss MMA with him. I'd say, "do you mean Affliction?", assuming he thinks everything MMA was UFC. He'd say, "no, the UFC on Spike last night". I'd tell him that it was a taped replay of a previous event. Until he looked it up on the internet, he wouldn't believe me that it wasn't live. I've seen it first hand...people will get confused and/or fooled. UFC and Fox should advertise the shit out of the event, if they want to minimize the damage from Spike. The casual fans make up a majority of the audience...and they've been watching the UFC on Spike ever since they began tuning in.

Post #7   9/26/11 12:37:26PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Chips:
Sorry, Spike. FOX will have my full attention that night.

Post #8   9/26/11 12:57:22PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,597-1,618
Camp: country KO
Chips:
this looks like a job for captain DVR!

Post #9   9/26/11 1:09:56PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by prophecy033

They're playing to the extreme casual fans here. Those fans already know to tune into Spike for MMA. Now, even if they've heard that JDS will be fighting Cain that night, they'll check spike and sure enough "Dos Santos vs. Velasquez" will be there in black and white. By the time, they realize that this isn't a build up to the fight, the Fox event will be over. I think it will work to a certain degree. People who don't follow the sport closely can be fooled easily. I used to work with a guy that would ask if I'd seen the UFC the night before. He'd say it anxiously, knowing that I liked to discuss MMA with him. I'd say, "do you mean Affliction?", assuming he thinks everything MMA was UFC. He'd say, "no, the UFC on Spike last night". I'd tell him that it was a taped replay of a previous event. Until he looked it up on the internet, he wouldn't believe me that it wasn't live. I've seen it first hand...people will get confused and/or fooled. UFC and Fox should advertise the shit out of the event, if they want to minimize the damage from Spike. The casual fans make up a majority of the audience...and they've been watching the UFC on Spike ever since they began tuning in.

if these same casual fans watch football on FOX, they will surely know about the fight on FOX

Last edited 9/26/11 1:31PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   9/26/11 1:30:05PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
I don't blame Spike at all. I would do it to if I was them.

Post #11   9/26/11 1:47:18PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by prophecy033

if these same casual fans watch football on FOX, they will surely know about the fight on FOX

I'm sure "some" people have seen that. There will still be plenty of people tuning into Spike that night though. Realistically, there is really no reason to watch Spike over Fox that night. I can't think of one. Spike will still do halfway decent numbers though, mark my word. And for every person watching Spike, it was a missed opportunity to watch something much better, had they known better.

Post #12   9/26/11 2:30:40PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by prophecy033

I'm sure "some" people have seen that. There will still be plenty of people tuning into Spike that night though. Realistically, there is really no reason to watch Spike over Fox that night. I can't think of one. Spike will still do halfway decent numbers though, mark my word. And for every person watching Spike, it was a missed opportunity to watch something much better, had they known better.

oh, I'm sure spike will have ok numbers but nowhere near that of FOX. Look, I would be doing the same as spike but I would also know that its futile.

Post #13   9/26/11 2:37:39PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,478-860
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
They would be better off showing some Brock fights in my opinion.

Post #14   9/26/11 2:38:54PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by prophecy033

oh, I'm sure spike will have ok numbers but nowhere near that of FOX. Look, I would be doing the same as spike but I would also know that its futile.

Well, of coarse it won't be close. Fox vs a cable network is apples and oranges. Spike will steal a little thunder though.

Post #15   9/26/11 2:46:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2