Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC boss thinks Matt Hughes will likely hang 'em up – even if he won't say 'retire'

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
No official decision has been made, but UFC president Dana White believes Matt Hughes (45-9 MMA, 18-7 UFC) has fought for the final time.

Following a UFC 135 loss to Josh Koscheck, Hughes declined to share his future plans.

However, at Saturday night's post-event press conference (which Hughes declined to attend when given the option, according to the UFC boss), White said he thinks the UFC Hall of Famer is likely done competing in the octagon.

"I think he's going to retire," White said of Hughes. "I just don't think Hughes wants to say the word 'retire.'"

LINK

Post #1   9/25/11 10:41:37AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Dana seems quick to pull the trigger on these guys on to retire.

Chuck, Big Nog, Wand, Hughes.

Give them some time, not right after they lose.

However I do see Hughes hanging it up, b/c I dont see many matchups Hughes wins or wants to actually fight.

Post #2   9/25/11 10:44:29AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think Hughes was looking pretty good until he got caught. I say give him another fight. If Sanchez loses any time soon, I'd still like to see that fight.

Post #3   9/25/11 11:02:01AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Hughes obviously had a concussion and shouldnt have been asked anything post fight. He made about as much sense as Don Frye after he fought James Thompson.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #4   9/25/11 2:25:09PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
he doesnt need te get KO'd again, he's done enough and doesnt need to accomplish any thing else for the sport.
hang em up Matt

Post #5   9/25/11 6:57:43PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by BeeR

he doesnt need te get KO'd again, he's done enough and doesnt need to accomplish any thing else for the sport.
hang em up Matt

I agree. On paper Hughes has nothing left to prove in the WW division or the sport. Perhaps he will feel as if he's still got something to prove to his self though.
Perhaps that's why guys have such a hard time retiring (other than financial reasons). They just feel they have to prove it to themselves one more time.

Post #6   9/25/11 8:20:04PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by BeeR

hang em up Matt

I agree. On paper Hughes has nothing left to prove in the WW division or the sport. Perhaps he will feel as if he's still got something to prove to his self though.
Perhaps that's why guys have such a hard time retiring (other than financial reasons). They just feel they have to prove it to themselves one more time.

money isn't an issue for hughes tho. He got offered that "do nothing and get paid job" like Chucky.

I agree that Hughes has nothing left to prove. I think he's still looking for that huge knockout he's been lusting after because of his "Chuck Liddell syndrome." (and I don't mean this to be synonymous with "Brett Farve syndrome").

When he was champ he was more dominant and had more defenses than Chuck. Yet Chuck became the poster boy because he got standing knock outs and Matt didn't. I actually think this was responsible for the start of his down fall. He spent WAYYYYYYYY to much time striking with GSP in the second fight (not that he would have won). I think he started working on his stand up and his wrestling suffered because of that.

As much as people like to talk about diversifying and becoming well rounded, I think there are certain cases where cross training is a bad thing. Matt Hughes and Demian Maia are the fighters that come to my mind. When you're a dominant grappler with no striking, you have a crazy sense of urgency to get the fight to the ground. When you get a little bit more confident in your hands, you lose the "Royce Gracie mentality". Also, you stop spending all your time training your dominant skill and you start to lose it. I think Jake Shields might fall into this category as well.

Post #7   9/25/11 11:28:08PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by BeeR

hang em up Matt

money isn't an issue for hughes tho. He got offered that "do nothing and get paid job" like Chucky.

I agree that Hughes has nothing left to prove. I think he's still looking for that huge knockout he's been lusting after because of his "Chuck Liddell syndrome." (and I don't mean this to be synonymous with "Brett Farve syndrome").

When he was champ he was more dominant and had more defenses than Chuck. Yet Chuck became the poster boy because he got standing knock outs and Matt didn't. I actually think this was responsible for the start of his down fall. He spent WAYYYYYYYY to much time striking with GSP in the second fight (not that he would have won). I think he started working on his stand up and his wrestling suffered because of that.

As much as people like to talk about diversifying and becoming well rounded, I think there are certain cases where cross training is a bad thing. Matt Hughes and Demian Maia are the fighters that come to my mind. When you're a dominant grappler with no striking, you have a crazy sense of urgency to get the fight to the ground. When you get a little bit more confident in your hands, you lose the "Royce Gracie mentality". Also, you stop spending all your time training your dominant skill and you start to lose it. I think Jake Shields might fall into this category as well.

Shields wanted to be a striker vs GSP but was relentless in going for the TD against Ellenberger

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   9/26/11 4:11:34PM