Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes not ready to retire, but 'Chuck Liddell job' pretty appealing

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,040-1,733
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes (45-8 MMA, 18-6 UFC) admits he's not quite ready to walk away from the sport that's paid his bills for the past 13 years.

Unfortunately for him, Hughes knows his wife and kids have a different opinion on what should happen after a UFC 135 contest with Josh Koscheck (15-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC).

And while Hughes insists the result of Saturday pay-per-view co-headliner will not prove the determining factor in his choice, the former champ said that UFC president Dana White's recent offer of a job where Hughes could "stick around and get paid to do nothing" is pretty appealing.

"Maybe one of those Chuck Liddell jobs?" Hughes asked MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) with a smile. "Who doesn't? You don't want a paycheck? It does appeal to me.

"There's a tight group of guys – Chuck, me, Forrest Griffin is probably in there, too, and there's a probably a couple of other guys – that have been good to the UFC. I think we're going to be fine. No matter what position I was in financially, the UFC is always going to make sure I've got food on the table and clothes on my kids' back."

But that doesn't mean Hughes is ready to take that position just yet. The love for competition, the drive to be the best, the camaraderie of his teamamtes and training partners – Hughes still finds joy in each and every aspect of MMA.

LINK

Post #1   9/22/11 7:53:00PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,146-1,245
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'll never know what its like to get in the octagon and fight for a living. And i can understand the trepidation from his wife. But when you have been doing something for so long it becomes a way of life. That's why it was so hard for Randy to stay retired. Your around your teammates all the time and see them training or getting ready for a fight and you think to yourself "i can beat the guy he's fighting and be champ again". I give a lot of props to these guys for putting everything on the line to give us entertainment. But even I understand that there comes a time when even our favorite fighters need to hang it up. I'm not sure if Hughes is there yet but he's on the cusp. When he finally does, we will have seen the last of one of the all-time greater, regardless of division

Last edited 9/22/11 8:15PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   9/22/11 8:15:09PM   

TheAngelOfDeath

Learning to Sprawl

TheAngelOfDeath Avatar

Career:992-684
Chips:

No matter what position I was in financially, the UFC is always going to make sure I've got food on the table and clothes on my kids' back

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Post #3   9/22/11 9:38:48PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by TheAngelOfDeath

No matter what position I was in financially, the UFC is always going to make sure I've got food on the table and clothes on my kids' back

If Matt Hughes was living in a box I'm pretty fucking sure Dana White would help him.

Post #4   9/23/11 12:06:46AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

If Matt Hughes was living in a box I'm pretty fucking sure Dana White would help him.

Dana & co have actually been pretty good about taking care of guys who have been company guys for so long. He did buy Rich Franklin his house. When rich was champ he was still under his old contract where he made shit for being a champ so Dana said we got you... if your were always there for the company and not a douche bout all the bs details, Dana will cover you from what ive seen

Post #5   9/23/11 12:53:15PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:2,075-1,239
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Matt is already worrying about what he will do after fight. Kinda tells you something here.

Sounds as if he has predicted his loss.

Looks like Josh K. has this one in the bag.

Post #6   9/23/11 3:34:43PM   

TheAngelOfDeath

Learning to Sprawl

TheAngelOfDeath Avatar

Career:992-684
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Go back and re-read the original post. Here, I will quote it for you:

"the UFC is always going to make sure I've got food on the table and clothes on my kids back"

You think they are going to take care of him the rest of his life. Get real.

Last edited 9/24/11 2:13PM server time by theangelofdeath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   9/24/11 2:12:47PM