Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Henderson vs. Shogun Rua Winner Gets Next Shot at the Title After Rashad Evans

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Welcome to boxing Just make your stars wait out a year because its easier to promote a bigger event that way.......

Winner vs Lyoto for title shot makes much more sense to me, and I'm a die hard Lyoto fan that doesnt want to see him clash with either of those styles.

i think Lyoto will end up fighting phil davis, shogun v hendo. most likely they only wait one or two months extra then normal so thats not a big deal.. but if the wait gets to long injury bla bla, then

winner of two for #1 contender.

i imagine evans v page/jones for dec/jan 1 or two months after the shogun v hendo fight so wouldnt be waiting long.

Post #16   9/22/11 3:40:44PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I want to see three fighters against Jones. Shogun, Machida, and Henderson.

Shogun's first fight with him was tainted by his long lay off and his injury. He didn't look in shape for the fight. You can call it an excuse, but look at the difference between Shogun's first and second fights with Griffin. BIg difference. I think Shogun is a much much more technical striker and much better with submissions. Jones hasn't been tested on the feet or on the ground. He's been running people over too fast. Shogun can threaten in both areas.

Machida probably offers the most interesting Style challenge. I'd be interested to see if Shogun could deal with his illusive striking and amazing takedown defense.

Hendo would be cool because he's got good wrestling and big power. However I give him the least chance of the three of actually winning the fight. Standing his only chance would be to land one big knockout punch. When it comes to wrestling, as good as he is offensively, his defensive wrestling is very lacking. Jones would rag doll him.

Post #17   9/22/11 6:14:31PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by tmas

Posted by ghandikush

Welcome to boxing Just make your stars wait out a year because its easier to promote a bigger event that way.......

Winner vs Lyoto for title shot makes much more sense to me, and I'm a die hard Lyoto fan that doesnt want to see him clash with either of those styles.

i think Lyoto will end up fighting phil davis, shogun v hendo. most likely they only wait one or two months extra then normal so thats not a big deal.. but if the wait gets to long injury bla bla, then

winner of two for #1 contender.

i imagine evans v page/jones for dec/jan 1 or two months after the shogun v hendo fight so wouldnt be waiting long.

I'm thinking kinda the same thing about the layoff not being TOO big a deal. Is it a potential problem? Yes, but in the perfect theoretical world, I don't see it as a problem. At the same time though, what I think they should do is, as you mentioned, Machida vs. Davis winner vs. Hendo v. Shogun winner on a card right around the time frame of the Evans vs Jones/Rampage winner. That way a) the ultimate victors of this tournament style number one contender bracket is relatively fresh of the fight right around the same time as the guy who emerges champion, so theoretically the layoff issue is almost entirely eliminated and a true number one contender has been established. The only problem with doing it my way is that the losers of the fights to establish the number one contender have to go back to the drawing board and try to work their way back up leaving the person who ultimately ends up champion without a possible immediate match up due to the lack of name value guys on any kind of a win streak.

Post #18   9/22/11 8:44:51PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Makes Perfect sense.

Post #19   9/23/11 4:23:51AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
This fight is going to be awesome, any fight Henderson gets put it I always seem to love. He fights the best consistently, and this one is going to live up to the hype i think. Henderson will probably win and a fight between him and Jones would be great but in all honesty, how long will he have to wait? Jones would still have to fight Rashad and then take time to recover (if he even needs it) and train again.

Post #20   9/23/11 4:12:10PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2