Today's Topics Unanswered Topics Avatar Bets Search PM's My Props Member Directory Premium Members Recent Polls Subscriptions Rules

Sponsors

World Champion Boxer wants to fight Sherk

Page 1 of 2     1     2  
World Champion Boxer wants to fight Sherk
Posted By Message

Lay_N_Pray
In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar
Career record: 206-117
Season: 0-0 (#-)
Bankroll: $1,000
589 posts
Joined 1/07
The world's top boxer isn't planning to fight a mixed martial artist any time soon, but the IBF welterweight champion says he wants a crack at UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk.

Sherk is called out

Post #1   5/9/07 12:48:51PM   

szucconi
In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar
Career record: 241-183
526 posts
Joined 4/07
with a boxing and wrestling backround it sounds like this guy could be more then just a one trick pony. With the right training he could beat Sherk. He should fight in the UFC, but shouldn't fight Sherk first. Well rounded athleticism in Boxing, who knew?

Post #2   5/9/07 1:01:32PM   

Psychitsmike
Learning to Sprawl

Career record: 37-23
1 post
Joined 5/07
the whole point of the fight is to not build him up with meaningless no name fights. So Sherk is the only fight worth seeing. Its a Champ vs Champ plain and simple. I doubt his wrestling is better then Sherks. If he wants to go right into his hands, so be it. He should just practice takedown defense and just focus on KOing Sherk. If he does that then he'd probably win.

Post #3   5/9/07 1:32:54PM   

Sam_Rothstein
Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career record: 774-460
955 posts
Joined 3/07
it made a lot of sense for them to challenge floyd mayweather seeing as he isnt even a knock out boxer

but this guy kermit is a ******* knock out monster 25 of his 27 wins came by knock out and 7 of them were in the first round.

i really dont think i would take this fight on the simple fact that it would be very dangerous for sean sherk

granted if it went to the ground kermit would probably be in a heap of trouble, but if this guy lands a knock out punch with those 3 lb gloves

sherks likely to get his face smashed in

Post #4   5/9/07 2:28:13PM   

szucconi
In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar
526 posts
Joined 4/07

Posted by Psychitsmike

I doubt his wrestling is better then Sherks.

no shit.

If you are a champ in BJJ then you don't get an MMA/UFC title shot right away. Boxing isn't special. He has to earn a fight with Sherk His strong boxing background and minimal wrestling skill would help him become a good MMA fighter. He might be able to pull off the sprawl and brawl style very effectively. Many Boxers that I have observed (mostly in the heavy weight division and less true of the lighter weights) are not athletes. They are athletically blank slates that learned to Box. If they got taken down they would be done and they wouldn’t be able to avoid being taken down to begin with. This guy sounds like we might survive on the ground and could develop the take down defense necessary to be good. He would need to play on his boxing strengths, but his wrestling background offers evidence that his skill set would translate well to MMA. If he was successful then he might make more money being a star contender in the UFC then a no name champ in Boxing.

Last edited 5/9/07 2:55PM by szucconi
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   5/9/07 2:33:26PM   

Ogre365
MMA Regular

Career record: 72-53
82 posts
Joined 5/07
Mayweather obviously is a better boxer than Sherk, but people have often been critical about his sometimes reluctance to go for the KO. If Sherk went after Floyd standing up he would most likely get the worst end of it, but I don't know about a knock out. Mayweather just has way to good of a defense for Sherk to go in there swinging. However this isn't boxing it's fighting, once Sherk got a hold of him (and he would) Mayweather would be so screwed. Even if Mayweather did some wrestling in his past it isn't the same as a guy who does every range of combat with a large number of fights and a better than 90% winning record. And trying to sprawl on Sherk I imagine is like trying to grab a bull by the horns, all you can do is go for the ride, it's rough, scary, and eventually you have to get off one way or the other.

Post #6   5/9/07 2:44:56PM   

Ogre365
MMA Regular

82 posts
Joined 5/07
Who the f@#k is Kermit?

I thought Mayweather's knick name was pretty boy.

Am I missing something in the news?

Post #7   5/9/07 2:48:16PM   

szucconi
In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar
526 posts
Joined 4/07

Posted by Ogre365

Who the f@#k is Kermit?

I thought Mayweather's knick name was pretty boy.

Am I missing something in the news?

try reading the site before posting.

Post #8   5/9/07 2:55:34PM   

kimoron
MMA Regular

kimoron Avatar
Career record: 389-235
117 posts
Joined 5/07
theres no way mayweather will test the mma waters imo but i this kermit/sherk thing would be great to see and has a shot at actually taking place. most boxers who have tried their hand at kickboxing couldnt hang, what do they think it will be like in a mma org. boxing could use a dose of reality

Post #9   5/9/07 10:57:28PM   

Ogre365
MMA Regular

82 posts
Joined 5/07
Well I read and listen to allot of news involved in MMA and the only boxer I know of who has been talking smack is Mayweather, and I know his nickname is pretty boy. Did he change his nickname, or are we talking about another boxer fighting Sherk?

Post #10   5/10/07 11:31:06AM   

szucconi
In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar
526 posts
Joined 4/07

Posted by Ogre365

Well I read and listen to allot of news involved in MMA and the only boxer I know of who has been talking smack is Mayweather, and I know his nickname is pretty boy. Did he change his nickname, or are we talking about another boxer fighting Sherk?

If you are that challenged then I applaud you for being able you operate a computer. You truly are an inspiration.

The article that the top of the page is a story about Mayweather "isn't planning to fight in MMA any time soon, but the IBF welterweight champion says he wants a crack at UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk." The IBF champ is Kermit Cintron. Click on the link in the first post and read it for your self.

I will include the same link incase you forget how to scroll up

Post #11   5/10/07 12:59:50PM   

Ogre365
MMA Regular

82 posts
Joined 5/07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Ogre365

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are that challenged then I applaud you for being able you operate a computer. You truly are an inspiration.

The article that the top of the page is a story about Mayweather "isn't planning to fight in MMA any time soon, but the IBF welterweight champion says he wants a crack at UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk." The IBF champ is Kermit Cintron. Click on the link in the first post and read it for your self.

I will include the same link incase you forget how to scroll up

Also for future reference you don't have to be a d!*k about it. I'm not sure if you were just jokingly busting my balls or what. I would like to think you were just joking, but i'm not sure. Please don't disrespect me though, I am a fair and respectful person, and I expect the same back. I don't come onto these forums and mess with other people so please don't mess with me.

Post #12   5/10/07 2:46:39PM   

szucconi
In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar
526 posts
Joined 4/07
It was funny or at least I found it funny. Don’t take is personally. I don't see how you can comment on an article you didn't read, but its a free country (assuming you are in a free country). I am just amusing myself and trying to apply a little peer pressure to have people actually know what they are talking about or at least read the article and form an opinion.

What you did was equal to me clicking into a thread titled something like “The Iceman will eat Rampage alive” and posting the following “I hate Val Kilmer, but I agree he was good in Top Gun as Iceman. Although, I don’t remember him eating anything alive. Is there a new one coming out where he eats something alive? Speaking of eating things, I like to eat tacos. I never understood soft tacos. Why don’t you just call it a small burrito? They are good though. The only other people I remember from Top Gun are Goose and Maverick and (SPOILER) Goose died, so unless Maverick changed his nickname Rampage I am lost. Is Rampage a type of Hot Pocket? When ever I cook a hot pocket its about a 50/50 change that it will be either boiling hot inside and I will burn my mouth or it will be icy in the middle. I cook it for the same amount of time, but it never comes out in the middle. It’s always one or the other. I think it’s a mystery of physics.”. Well maybe not equal, but you get my point.

I can't believe I am encouraging people to read.

With all that being said, what do you think of Sherk fighting an IBF champ?

Post #13   5/10/07 3:45:23PM   

Sam_Rothstein
Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career record: 774-460
955 posts
Joined 3/07
i mean to be honest there has been some boxers who came into mma and have had some decent careers out of it (jens pulver, chris lytle) and they werent even that great at boxing

so just imagine an actual champion with a great knock out record

i would rather watch that over floyd vs sherk, since sherk would probably win that fight since floyd is not a knock out artist, and i dont see him going 5 rounds without slipping up on his takedown defense

Post #14   5/10/07 10:22:04PM   

Ogre365
MMA Regular

82 posts
Joined 5/07
Ok I get it, I think I know your type. I got a couple of good buddies like you, smart ass and sarcastic, but you can't help but laugh at whatever comes out their mouth.

Now that I have read the damn article I would have to honestly say that I don't know much about this Kermit guy. I follow a little boxing, but not enough to know allot of names. I do have to say though that the guy has a very solid record, but if Sherk uses his brains and takes things to the ground he should win.

But then anyone can tell you that.

I don't have any disliking for boxers, but I would love to see someone smash Mayweathers teeth in just for the simple reason that he talks all kinds of s&!t.

Post #15   5/11/07 11:39:06AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Username:

Password:

Keep me logged in