Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

B.J. Penn's Preemptive Strike Causes Overblown Situation With the UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

----PAPERBOY----

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC President Dana White is at it again. This time, he's taking offense to criticism by former UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn that the UFC forced him to fabricate the slightest bit of animosity toward his UFC 137 opponent, Nick Diaz, during a segment for the UFC Countdown show. Penn posted a video on Tuesday on his website explaining to viewers that he had no ill will toward Diaz. Dana White responded by posting a "raw & uncut" video of the interview, suggesting that nobody forced Penn to say what he said during the interview.

The interview is far from raw as White suggests, so there is still doubt whether White is telling the truth. What is apparent is that Penn was launching a preemptive strike against the idea that he had any animosity toward Diaz. Both men have trained together in the past, and Diaz has stated that there is a mutual respect between the two veteran fighters. Even if it is apparent that Penn wasn't forced to disrespect Diaz, I believe he thought there was enough of chance of Diaz taking it badly that he wanted to pass the blame somewhere else.

LINK

Post #1   9/16/11 2:15:38PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
To my both sides come off a little weak in this.
Bj's video was interesting and the interviewer seemed like a slime ball but it didn't really seem like they where strongly pushing him to say anything.

Dana's raw an uncut video was laughable too.

Post #2   9/16/11 2:38:06PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,224-1,249
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
uhhh. Nobody forced him to say anything. It didn't even seem like they prodded him much. Since when do these fighters, best in the world as they are, walk on eggshells? Why in the world would Diaz have a problem with BJ saying he's going to defeat him? Seems like silliness to me.

Post #3   9/16/11 3:02:11PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

uhhh. Nobody forced him to say anything. It didn't even seem like they prodded him much. Since when do these fighters, best in the world as they are, walk on eggshells? Why in the world would Diaz have a problem with BJ saying he's going to defeat him? Seems like silliness to me.

Good point scoozna!

Should Beej say to himself I think Nick is going to defeat me instead

What a ultra sensitive, PC World we live in today

Last edited 9/16/11 3:10PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   9/16/11 3:10:07PM   

FastKnockout

----PAPERBOY----

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

You know who Nick Diaz is, right? Diaz doesn't think the same way most people do. Penn is right, Diaz would probably take everything out of context and think Penn was betraying his friendship over a fight. In Diaz's head, it's him against the world, and if you're not with him, then you're against him.

Post #5   9/16/11 3:34:26PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
who cares

Post #6   9/16/11 3:36:44PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,184-1,486
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Since when do these fighters, best in the world as they are, walk on eggshells?

Um, HELLO!!!!! Nick Diaz is supposed to walk on eggshells all day long. Fighters get criticized all the time for the things they say.

Post #7   9/16/11 3:39:26PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by scoozna

You know who Nick Diaz is, right? Diaz doesn't think the same way most people do. Penn is right, Diaz would probably take everything out of context and think Penn was betraying his friendship over a fight. In Diaz's head, it's him against the world, and if you're not with him, then you're against him.

I know what you're saying, but even if you're Nick's bestest friend in the whole world, you gotta be able to say you're going to beat him if asked in an interview. Otherwise words and ideas have no meaning.

Post #8   9/16/11 4:19:50PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tn_rebel

who cares

Me.

Post #9   9/16/11 4:21:36PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

... you gotta be able to say you're going to beat him if asked in an interview. Otherwise words and ideas have no meaning.

Woah, i gotta disagree with you here. Word and idea's have no meaning if the person saying those words(or expressing those ideas) doesn't mean them.

I think you gotta be able to say you're going to beat him in order to maintain a sense excitement for your fights, but just saying something to say it, i think, takes away the meaning from your words.

_____

I think Bj knows the qualities that he doesnt like in people, and see's whatever this is, as something in that same boat. I think he's just trying not to be a hypocrite. Which, i think is a good thing.

Post #10   9/16/11 5:32:33PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Chips:
I agree with you Pookie, if the person saying the words doesn't mean them, they have no meaning. Maybe I'm talking about the freedom, or liberty, to say that he is going to win the fight?

This is turning philosophical, and I think that's ok. I look at it like this...Doesn't every fighter at Penn and Diaz's level go into a fight with the idea (or belief) that they are going to win? I think so. I believe Penn believes he is going to win.

So he is asked this very same thing, and he answers the way you'd expect. In Penn's follow up video he said something to the effect of "I shoulda just said I would have my hand raised at the end." Which is nonsense, because that means he won. It's the same thing, a distinction without a difference.

Now I get the idea that he may not feel he should be "forced" into saying it by Zuffa, presumably, to hype a fight, or more cynically, to make for some bad blood between them. But he did say it, and he said it again, in effect, in his follow up video.

All that to say, I believe Penn *does* mean it, and he knows he means it, and so does everyone else. I guess the part that gives me difficulty is that the very plain meaning of his words are, in his mind, in danger of being misinterpreted, by Diaz, even when he stated it so simply ("I am going to beat Nick Diaz"). In other words, he can never express the idea any simpler - and Diaz would still feel disrespected.

haha...wall of text...probably unnecessary.

Post #11   9/17/11 10:02:58AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
After seeing Koscheck's hype video for the Hughes fight I tend to lean more towards Penn.

Post #12   9/17/11 11:17:21PM