Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dave Meltzer: Nick Diaz Lost a Seven Figure PPV Cut For His UFC 137 Antics

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Sucks for Diaz. Maybe he'll cut the sh*t and start acting like a man.

start acting like a man...
I doubt it...Unless someone hits him so hard it makes him forget who he is...or was...

Post #16   9/16/11 10:30:07AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,059
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This may be a silver linning when its all said and done. I am a huge Penn fan but at this point in BJs career this is a very winnable fight for Diaz and if he can win here can you imagine what the hype would be for the 2nd time they book Gsp vs Diaz ? Especially after Diaz solidifies his title shot with a big win over BJ

Post #17   9/16/11 11:55:17AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,718-1,421
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Shawn91111

Meltzer has been incorrect on a ton of things over the years, just as others have so he's not any different

I can't speak for his wrestling coverage, but everything MMA related that I've seen has been pretty much spot-on. I am open minded though and always willing to listen to some examples.

examples from Fedor coming to the UFC, to Affliction ppv buys which he bumped up, to Fedor ducking Sylvia, Brock going back to the WWF. Im sure there is many more.

Post #18   9/16/11 12:20:48PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Shawn91111

Meltzer has been incorrect on a ton of things over the years, just as others have so he's not any different

I can't speak for his wrestling coverage, but everything MMA related that I've seen has been pretty much spot-on. I am open minded though and always willing to listen to some examples.

examples from Fedor coming to the UFC, to Affliction ppv buys which he bumped up, to Fedor ducking Sylvia, Brock going back to the WWF. Im sure there is many more.

I specifically remember the Brock/WWE thing. Unfortunately that was mostly MMA sites misunderstanding and misconstruing what Dave had said in a radio interview. Not long after the internet blew up with rumors, Dave came out and clarified the situation. That of coarse did not get reported nearly as much...less exciting news never does. Retractions to a front page article being on page 12 are nothing new.

I don't recall what was exactly said by Dave regarding Fedor coming to the UFC. Something to keep in mind though, when it comes to reporting events that haven't happened yet, there's never a guarantee that someone involved doesn't change their mind or the stakes don't change. It's not to say that he was reporting bad information, but it's possible he was reporting the information in its current state. When it comes to static information though, it is quite a different animal.

Which brings me to Affliction PPV buys. Let me start off by saying that Meltzer is basically the only one in the industry that releases these numbers. Dana doesn't release them. Atencio didn't release them. Everyone in the industry gets the numbers from Dave Meltzer...and for a good reason. He has the connections and a better understanding of the finances than anyone outside of top management in these organizations. He gets the PPV numbers. He knows how the PPV cuts work in fighters' contracts. Personally, I happen to follow the buy rates of the PPVs. It's something that has interested me for a long time. If you don't follow them, I'm assuming that you are unaware of how the numbers come in. In the days following an event, some preliminary numbers become available from the major players in the business. Those first numbers are only an estimate, but generally give a good idea of how a PPV does. It's not for some time later that the actual numbers trickle in and a final number comes to be known. I hope this helps explain whey there would be a bump in numbers.

Note: I'm not claiming Dave is infallible, but there's no reason to believe that he is wrong here. He has sources in UFC management and often has sources in fighters' camps as well. He doesn't just make stuff up. He's not one to write an article just to pull in viewers. If he's talking, there's something to it.

Post #19   9/16/11 1:15:45PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2