Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMAPlayground Interview Series - Vol. 1 (Pat "Bam Bam" Healy)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As with any successful professional, mixed martial artists eat, sleep and breathe their craft. They put everything on the line when they wake up, hit the gym and pour their blood, sweat and tears into the sport we all love. When they enter that cage, for the fan, it's all about the entertainment, but these athletes go through the daily rigors with more in mind. For some fighters, it's a paycheck. For others, it's the glitz and glamour, but for some it's a lifestyle fueled by a deep passion and connection to the sport of mixed martial arts.

In our newest site feature, MMAPlayground would like to introduce you to some of these men and women of MMA that you may not know much about.

Our mission? To introduce. To educate. To spread the word.

In the first installment, we had the opportunity to ask Pat "Bam Bam" Healy a few questions, fresh off of his submission victory over Maximo Blanco at Strikeforce World Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov.

MMAPG: First off, Pat, congratulations on your recent submission win over Maximo Blanco this past weekend. You took the fight on short notice and ended up choking out a highly touted prospect from Venezuela. Where did you train and what are some of the names you trained with for this fight?

PAT HEALY: I trained at Team Quest in Gresham, Oregon. That's my home team and it's really like my family. I also trained at Nemesis BJJ with Eric Hemphill, who is helping me put the technical pieces of my game together. I am lucky to have a lot of great people around me.

MMAPG: Can you give our readers, who may not know much about you, a little insight into your background? Where exactly did you grow up and how did you get into MMA?

PAT HEALY: I grew up in Salem, Oregon and I was lucky enough to have a twin brother who I grew up fighting with. We have been into MMA since we were about 14 years old and it is all we have ever wanted to do. MMA has taken me all across the US to live and train and has provided an incredible life for me. I have had my fair share of ups and downs and I have fought for every major organization out there. I am still young, at 28, contrary to popular belief. I'm not an old man!

MMAPG: What drives you the most to succeed? What inspires you?

PAT HEALY: What drives me is the love of the sport. It wakes me up early every morning with a smile on my face and an optimistic mindset. I truly love everyday that I get to wake up and do what I love for a living.

MMAPG: I must admit, “Bam Bam” is quite possibly my favorite nickname in all of MMA. Who gave you that nickname?

PAT HEALY: I got that nickname growing up in Salem. My friends used to say that after a few drinks my eyebrows would sag and my alter ego, "Bam Bam", would come out. I would become extremely clumsy and would always end up breaking something or falling into/out of something. The nickname just stuck through the years and I think it fits my fighting style quite nice.

MMAPG: How much down time do you actually have between training camps for your fights and what do you do during that time off from the gym?

PAT HEALY: I never take time off. Even if I don't have a fight coming up I'm in the gym working something or grappling with the Gi. I spend my spare time on my property in Eagle Creek, Oregon. I live on 150 acres of Oregon forest and river habitat. All I like to do is hike, hunt and train my bird dog, Finnigan.

MMAPG: Which win on your resume would you consider to be the most satisfying?

PAT HEALY: I think this latest win against Maximo Blanco is the most satisfying. I took it on short notice and he was a hyped prospect. Not a lot of people expected me to win, especially finish him.

MMAPG: If you could only pick one loss to avenge, which loss would that be and why?

PAT HEALY: I want to avenge my loss to Josh Thomson because it was my only loss at 155.

MMAPG: What is your stance on teammates fighting each other?

PAT HEALY: I think there are plenty of people out there to fight besides your teammates but I think it's different when you're talking about people like the guys at Jackson's camp. They aren't really teammates they are just guys who sometimes train together.

MMAPG: When it’s all said and done, what do you want your legacy to be? What do you want people to think of when they hear the name, Pat “Bam Bam” Healy?

PAT HEALY: I want people to look back at me as a champion. I hope that people can take inspiration from my ups and downs in the sport and the fact that I haven't quit and persevered through a lot.

MMAPG: Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions, Pat. Again, congratulations to you on your performance against Maximo Blanco. MMA fans everywhere, myself included, look forward to seeing you fight again! Take care!

Follow @BamBamHealy on Twitter
Pat "Bam Bam" Healy on Sherdog.com

DISCLAIMER: Views and opinions expressed in this interview are those of the interviewer and interviewee and are not necessarily those of the staff or affiliates of MMAPlayground.com.

Last edited 10/4/11 9:35AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
6 total post edits

Post #1   9/15/11 3:42:13PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
I'd like to offer a huge thanks to Tim Herb (gartface) for helping out with the introduction, too. Thanks, man!

Post #2   9/15/11 3:46:00PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
looks like i picked a good time to become a member. loved the interview & can't wait for more

Post #3   9/15/11 3:56:45PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

looks like i picked a good time to become a member. loved the interview & can't wait for more

Thanks, man. Look for an interview with Charlie "The Spaniard" Brenneman to be posted in the next day or so.

EDIT: The Brenneman interview will be posted next week.

Last edited 9/16/11 11:00AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   9/15/11 3:57:27PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:

Post #5   9/15/11 4:08:19PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Chips:
I like it! Great interview!

Post #6   9/15/11 4:20:30PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:
This is great! Is this going to be a regular thing?

Post #7   9/15/11 5:05:22PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
I'm proud to have the opportunity to see the playground grow in such a manor that it brings these interviews to the site, thanks Fleek and gartface for bringing this to your devoted members. Good stuff

Post #8   9/15/11 5:19:41PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is great. Hope they keep coming and increasing in frequency. Great job guys

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #9   9/15/11 5:24:51PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I'm hoping so! I've done Healy and Brenneman so far. I've been in contact with one of the fighters fighting on this weekend's UFC card but nothing's set in stone. He's agreed to do it...it's just a matter of having the time to do so. I'm sure all of his attention is focused on his opponent right now.

Post #10   9/15/11 5:30:37PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Budgellism

I'm hoping so! I've done Healy and Brenneman so far. I've been in contact with one of the fighters fighting on this weekend's UFC card but nothing's set in stone. He's agreed to do it...it's just a matter of having the time to do so. I'm sure all of his attention is focused on his opponent right now.

That's good to hear Fleek. The Playground is getting better and better all the time. If you ever need a hand with something like this let me know.

Post #11   9/15/11 6:01:52PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
I'm not sure how realistic it is but James Head seems pretty contactable on Twitter, you could always ask...

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #12   9/15/11 6:04:25PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Excellent interview

Post #13   9/15/11 6:48:52PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I'd like to offer a huge thanks to Tim Herb (gartface) for helping out with the introduction, too. Thanks, man!

You did all the work! Glad I could help out though.

This is great stuff, Fleek. I was really excited about this, and it didn't disappoint! Keep up the good work man, and I can't wait to see the Spaniard's interview.

Post #14   9/16/11 8:10:13AM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Great stuff! Looking forward to more

Post #15   9/16/11 9:25:14AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2