Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Nick Diaz: UFC Is Trying To Make These Wrestling Matches

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

uedamasa

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
It was one of the most shocking stories in mixed martial arts history.

Former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC), handed the biggest opportunity of his career, no-showed a pair of pre-event press conferences and was pulled from a UFC 137 fight with UFC title-holder Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC).

The world struggled to make sense of the situation, and honestly, so has Diaz, himself. The fiery Californian admits he dropped the ball, but he's shocked St-Pierre went along for the ride. And that supposed disdain for the press? Garbage, says Diaz. Media members should feel free to stop by his gym anytime.

"I'm not trying to make all these little excuses," Diaz today told MMAjunkie.com. "If I'd have known the fight was going to be off, I would have [expletive] gone to the press conference, or I would have told somebody, 'Hey, if I don't make it to this stupid [expletive], I'm not fighting.' I think that people would have gotten me there. I think people would have come and gave two [expletive] and gotten me to that press conference."

LINK

Last edited 9/14/11 9:42AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   9/14/11 6:12:16AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
It wasnt up to GSP to keep the fight. Someone shut this guy up....

Post #2   9/14/11 9:11:41AM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I actually enjoyed getting Nick's side of the story and I usually cringe every time he opens his mouth. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the things he said were actually true.

Good article. A bit long and repetitive at times, but still a good read.

Post #3   9/14/11 9:23:08AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I agree with Fleek here it's interesting to see Diaz's reply I won't sit here being niave and buying into all of it, but it clears a lot up and I think he should have only been cautioned, either way I wont sit here and admit Condit vs GSP won't be a good fight, in fact I think Condit has more skills that should trouble GSP than Diaz did. GSP could have stayed on top of Diaz or used his wrestling in some way whether it was in the clinch to fustrate Diaz and grind his way to a normal decision win. However Condit has a lot of confidence in his TDD, he finished the man GSP was afraid to strike with. You give Condit a chance and he'll be all over GSP, he does have that killer instinct.

But the question that rolls in my head, is if GSP does lose. Does Diaz/Penn earn the title shot or does Fitch?... Let's just hope because of the FOX deal Dana makes it clear who earns the title shot before the event I want to know as a fan who's next in line rather than the whole seeing who's hot thing it's reasons like that Hardy/Mighty Mouse are getting a title shot.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #4   9/14/11 9:40:49AM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jjeans

But the question that rolls in my head, is if GSP does lose. Does Diaz/Penn earn the title shot or does Fitch?... Let's just hope because of the FOX deal Dana makes it clear who earns the title shot before the event I want to know as a fan who's next in line rather than the whole seeing who's hot thing it's reasons like that Hardy/Mighty Mouse are getting a title shot.

Penn/Diaz would get the title shot. I see no way possible that Dana would give Fitch a shot for beating Hendricks IF he does beat him, which isn't a given.

Speaking of Fitch...I got a chuckle out this...

I'm not going to hold B.J. Penn down the whole time like these guys have done. They held B.J. down because they're bigger than him and stronger than him. I'm not going to do that. I'm not a little bitch to try and hold somebody down. I'm going to go out there and fight this tricky mother [expletive], and it could mean a lot of problems for me. It would have been a lot of problems for them, too, if they had fought him like I fight. They would have lost that fight.

I wonder who "they" is?

Post #5   9/14/11 9:46:20AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Nick Diaz

I'm not going to hold B.J. Penn down the whole time like these guys have done. They held B.J. down because they're bigger than him and stronger than him. I'm not going to do that. I'm not a little bitch to try and hold somebody down. I'm going to go out there and fight this tricky mother [expletive], and it could mean a lot of problems for me. It would have been a lot of problems for them, too, if they had fought him like I fight. They would have lost that fight.

I wonder who "they" is?

He obviously knows not to fighter bash

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #6   9/14/11 10:05:46AM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:962-517
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'm sorry Nick Diaz. Its not 2005 anymore, the UFC is a $100 million company and just showing up to the weigh-ins isn't gonna cut it. Plus it isn't fair that Georges takes time out of his camp traveling, picking up the slack for promotion while you stay in your comfort zone training at your camps. And I would've been more impressed if you had called St-Pierre a bitch AT THE F'N PRESS CONFERENCE!

Post #7   9/14/11 10:24:40AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Post #8   9/14/11 11:20:58AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,916-1,148
Chips:
I understand if he didn't know it was a press conference the first time he missed, but Im sure he knew when the second rolled around. And to be honest, a real fight involves ground fighting. That includes wrestling AND his own background in BJJ. I wonder how he would see it if people had a problem with jiu-jitsu guys working from their backs Like they have problems with wrestlers dominating from the top. I rarely hear people in an uproar about guys like Werdum falling to his back because that's where he wants it. At least guys like GSP and Fitch get the takedown while performing an action.

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #9   9/14/11 11:47:55AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,151-1,470
Chips:
Personally I think people need to get off Nick's case. I think people need to listen to all sides of a story. Nick himself hasn't created the image most people have of him.....the image was created by the mouth of Dana White. There is no reason his fight with GSP should have been cancelled. Dana is always saying how the most important thing is what the fans want. This is a clear example that all that talk is just BS. Dana wants what Dana wants...and if he doesn't get what he wants he is willing to punish the fans. Diaz missed a press conference that he may not even have known was a press conference. Big deal. People need to get off Nick's case. Deep down inside Dana White didn't want Nick to face GSP....because Nick would have beaten their subservient poster boy and became the new 170lb champ.

Post #10   9/14/11 12:24:10PM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Nick himself hasn't created the image most people have of him.....the image was created by the mouth of Dana White.

Sorry, but this is 100% wrong.

1 - Dana White doesn't do Nick's interviews for him.

2 - Dana White's urine didn't didn't test positive for THC after the Gomi fight.

3 - Dana White didn't jump Jason Miller.

4 - Dana White isn't the reason behind Nick's thug-like mentality.

Nick absolutely created his own image.

Post #11   9/14/11 12:31:49PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Sir_Karl

Nick himself hasn't created the image most people have of him.....the image was created by the mouth of Dana White.

2 - Dana White's urine didn't didn't test positive for THC after the Gomi fight.

Snap!

Nick, like everyone else in the f'n world has to lay in the bed that he makes. It's shocking that a fighter some people like would have to endure such hardship...

Post #12   9/14/11 12:49:00PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,506-1,559
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Sir_Karl

My opinion that he's a thug was formed mostly because of him attacking Riggs in the hospital and #3 above. I'm a fan of his don't get me wrong but you really can't blame Dana for getting pissed off over a breach of contract. I think Dana cares about MMA as much as we do, he still has to run a company though and catering to Nick's BS in not conducive to that.

Post #13   9/14/11 1:11:39PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Sir_Karl

Dana White made Nick out to be a coward that backed out of the fight...that isnt the case

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   9/14/11 1:52:03PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Chips:
Same old Diaz making excuses and blaming others for his actions.

Post #15   9/14/11 1:55:43PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3