Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

After semifinal win, Strikeforce's Josh Barnett campaigns for shot at regular title

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Alistair Overeem is gone from Strikeforce and part of the UFC, and his heavyweight title now sits vacant.

In the meantime, Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier will fight in early 2012 for a heavyweight-grand-prix championship belt.

But following his main-event victory over Sergei Kharitonov (18-5 MMA, 1-1 SF) at Saturday's "Strikeforce World Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov" event, Barnett (31-5 MMA, 2-0 SF) publicly stated his case for the tourney winner getting the regular title.

LINK

Post #1   9/11/11 10:55:21AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Chips:
I've said it once and ill say it again, the winner of this tournament should be crowned the Heavyweight Champ and not just the heavyweight tourney champ. The winner of this thing will have had a stronger test then if he would have won the belt in a single fight. This field of HW's is pretty strong and to come out champ, IMO, would be a pretty clear indication that the winner should be crowned the promotions Regular Heavyweight champ. I mean, who would they put in a title fight, the winner and one of the guys that lost earlier in the GP? That males less sense then giving to the winner of the GP

Post #2   9/11/11 12:44:03PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
i think it makes sense , but I wonder why he cares, I thought SF was merging, because Overeem, Diaz and Le all left.

Last edited 9/11/11 6:56PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   9/11/11 6:37:44PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't think the Strikeforce Heavyweight championship is worth too much these days... Alistair vacated it after defending it like once or twice? Now he is also going to ditch his DREAM championship as well..... Most of the SF champs are gone, save for Melendez, who is probably in the UFC if he beats Masvidal, and Rockhold, who just won his belt on Saturday.

I say whoever wins should be grateful they get a SF HW GP belt. That's got it's own prestige to it. I would say, at this point, it's the equivalent of being the last SF HW champ, albeit by default.

Take the GP belt, and get ready to move up.

Post #4   9/12/11 3:28:06PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,568-1,469
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I don't think the Strikeforce Heavyweight championship is worth too much these days...

I'll go a step further and question whether it ever was since AO held it hostage forever.

Post #5   9/12/11 4:33:03PM