Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cesar Gracie: 'No One Is Talking About the Carlos Condit Fight'

Print  
Who would you rather see fight for the title?
Nick Diaz 36 54%
Carlos Condit 31 46%
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
LayzieTheSavage of Middleeasy.com fame spoke with Cesar Gracie and got some choice quotes out of Nick Diaz's coach and manager. For those that haven't been paying attention, following the press conference on Wednesday, Cesar Gracie went on the defensive agreeing with the decision made by Dana White to pull Nick Diaz from the title fight with Georges St. Pierre at UFC 137. In a complete 180, Gracie's interview with LayzieTheSavage takes the side of his client and student.

On the current relationship with Nick:

"Nick is like family. People don't understand that you can get mad, you can get mad at your brother because it doesn't mean anything. Some people read into it like I kicked him off the team. I don't care what he does in the UFC. I mean I care but I'm not going to kick him off the team over it.

On the B.J. Penn fight:

"This is the better fighter of the two. Georges St. Pierre is the bigger fighter of the two. He can beat people by being bigger or whatever. But this is the better fighter of the two. He's more technical. He's got a better ground game. He's got a better stand up game."

On the title fight being cancelled:

"I talked to Dana after he pulled the fight. I explained why it was a mistake to pull the fight. I understood. I was as mad at Nick as anybody. When I calmed down a little bit and looked at the situation, I said not only am I Nick's trainer, manager...whatever, but I'm also a fan of the sport. And I'm thinking "why is Dana punishing the fans of the sport?" Punish Nick. Fine him a nice fat hefty fine. Do whatever you're gonna do and punish him. All he did was miss a press conference. Seriously? Did one fan in this world even care? It did not make sense to me. I told them this afterwards.

Post #1   9/9/11 6:53:52PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

On the B.J. Penn fight:

"This is the better fighter of the two. Georges St. Pierre is the bigger fighter of the two. He can beat people by being bigger or whatever. But this is the better fighter of the two. He's more technical. He's got a better ground game. He's got a better stand up game."

HUH???? did see their second fight. gsp is one of the best Technical fighters out there. Alves, Hardy, Fitch, Kos, & shields are all just as big as gsp

Post #2   9/9/11 8:12:46PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,828-1,619
Chips:
I'm talking about it

Post #3   9/9/11 8:18:44PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I'm talking about it

Gracie tapped into Nick's stash

Post #4   9/9/11 9:38:38PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Both fights could be good or could be bad.

Gsp could just wrestle and penn/diaz could just box or jab each other and nothing big land or much of anything land.

Post #5   9/10/11 1:54:51AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,468-915
Chips:
Condit or Diaz vs GSP - either way GSP's opponent is going to wind up on his back. Personally I think Diaz is a little more dangerous off his back, and I would have liked to see GSP's gameplan against 5 rounds of constant Diaz pawing at GSP when they're on their feet.

Condit is most definitely a top 10 WW in my book, but I give Diaz the advantage over him in standup and submissions both. This is why I'm disappointed.

IMO Diaz had a better chance of beating GSP than Condit. Diaz opponents may not be the cream of the crop the last few years, but he's still fought some decent competition, and other than losing a boxing match to a pure boxer (KJ Noons), which he avenged, he hasn't lost since 2006.

Diaz brings:
- extreme cardio
- rock solid chin
- a standup style that is hard to emulate but quite effective
- about as good as you can get at BJJ
- no fear or quit in him

I still think GSP would beat Nick, but Nick would have more opportunities to damage GSP than Condit.

I know MMA math doesn't really work, but Condit's the guy that got taken to his limits and beaten (although extremely close) by titleshot gatekeeper Martin Kampman; the same guy who has recent losses against Marquardt, Paul Daley Shields, and Diego.

I have a bad feeling (although I hope I'm wrong) that GSP can ride Condit like a surf board to win another 5 rounder with minimal risk - his favorite M.O.

Post #6   9/10/11 12:26:44PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,828-1,619
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

I know MMA math doesn't really work, but Condit's the guy that got taken to his limits and beaten (although extremely close) by titleshot gatekeeper Martin Kampman; the same guy who has recent losses against Marquardt, Paul Daley Shields, and Diego.

I have a bad feeling (although I hope I'm wrong) that GSP can ride Condit like a surf board to win another 5 rounder with minimal risk - his favorite M.O.

To be fair, Kampmann should have won both the Shields and the Sanchez fights. At least in my opinion.

Post #7   9/10/11 3:02:28PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,857-1,596
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DoTheMMAth

To be fair, Kampmann should have won both the Shields and the Sanchez fights. At least in my opinion.

I think Shields definitely won the first two rounds.

Post #8   9/10/11 3:06:07PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Condit or Diaz vs GSP - either way GSP's opponent is going to wind up on his back. Personally I think Diaz is a little more dangerous off his back, and I would have liked to see GSP's gameplan against 5 rounds of constant Diaz pawing at GSP when they're on their feet.

Condit is most definitely a top 10 WW in my book, but I give Diaz the advantage over him in standup and submissions both. This is why I'm disappointed.

IMO Diaz had a better chance of beating GSP than Condit. Diaz opponents may not be the cream of the crop the last few years, but he's still fought some decent competition, and other than losing a boxing match to a pure boxer (KJ Noons), which he avenged, he hasn't lost since 2006.

Diaz brings:
- extreme cardio
- rock solid chin
- no fear or quit in him

I still think GSP would beat Nick, but Nick would have more opportunities to damage GSP than Condit.

i agree, i dont see how Condit poses a bigger threat. Condit's only advantage is more 1 shot power and a bit better TDD. Diaz is far better in boxing, BJJ, and has a better chin. i would even say he has better cardio. both guys have great heart.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   9/10/11 3:52:29PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Diaz brings:
- extreme cardio
- rock solid chin
- no fear or quit in him

Had to give you props.

Diaz is way more dangerous to GSP. That being said, I'm not sure who I'd pick between Diaz and Condit.

Post #10   9/12/11 1:49:10AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Manak

On the B.J. Penn fight:

HUH???? did see their second fight. gsp is one of the best Technical fighters out there. Alves, Hardy, Fitch, Kos, & shields are all just as big as gsp

The quote is specifically talking about BJ and Gsp. I'm sure Cesar would say that BJ is more technical than Alves, Hardy, Fitch, Kos, & Shields too.

Post #11   9/12/11 1:27:45PM