Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Throws Curveball at Bellator's Plans to Move to Spike TV

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,624-911
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Back in August after the UFC announced that it had inked an historic deal with Fox, one of the major questions rooted from the news was whether Bellator Fighting Championships, now the assumed #2 promotion in the landscape of MMA after Zuffa acquired Strikeforce, would replace the UFC on Spike TV. In the months leading up to the deal, rumors circulated that Spike TV executives were seen at Bellator's events, and those rumors were confirmed after the UFC/Fox deal by a number of media outlets. Bellator champions Joe Warren and Eddie Alvarez have been involved in promoting future Bellator events on Spike TV professional wrestling programs. The assumptions weren't without proof. Spike TV was toying with the idea all along.

Now, a report from MMAJunkie.com's Dann Stupp confirms what many of us already knew. Viacom, Spike TV and MTV2's parent company, is keen to the idea of moving Bellator to Spike TV. According to the report, a source stated, "It's going to happen. It's not 'if' but 'when.' Throw 'if' out the window. The only question is if it's next year or the year after."

A deal seems clear cut considering Viacom owns both MTV2 and Spike TV, but the UFC still has the ability to thwart Bellator's efforts to make the transition. It isn't without its own consequences however:

While Spike TV no longer will air live UFC events after this year, its existing contract allows it to air the UFC library (including past events, former "TUF" seasons, "UFC Unleashed" episodes and specialty programming) in 2012. However, as long as Spike TV has the rights to the content, it can't air programming - including live events - from other organizations, such as Bellator, until 2013.

However, the UFC could purchase and reclaim the library if it can reach a deal with Spike TV.

"If they made a decent offer, we'd probably sell," one Viacom source said. "Spike's preference next year is to have Bellator on air."

LINK

Post #1   9/9/11 6:51:19PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,937-1,199
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I can understand Zuffas business standpoint with this stuff, and they have done very well and are successful. But at what point do you just become too greedy and detrimental to the sport? I don't like Zuffa putting EVERY other organization out... I think it's clear and obvious Zuffa is the king and no one will really bother them or even give them a run for their money

I know business is business and it's about money, but I don't want to hear Dana say how he is supporting MMA as a whole and the sport...He supports Zuffa - it so happens they are MMA, but he's only after the good of Zuffa...not MMA

Post #2   9/9/11 8:39:43PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
wouldn't be surprised if they refused to buy their own library back just to prevent bellator from being aired on SPIKE for another year and a half.

Post #3   9/9/11 10:27:15PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,296-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ufc should buy back their library and get those fight nights finally on dvd
I don't know why ufc and zuffa would see bellator as a threat on spike tv next year

Post #4   9/9/11 10:39:23PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
should have thrown them a knuckleball

Post #5   9/10/11 1:39:37AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

I can understand Zuffas business standpoint with this stuff, and they have done very well and are successful. But at what point do you just become too greedy and detrimental to the sport? I don't like Zuffa putting EVERY other organization out... I think it's clear and obvious Zuffa is the king and no one will really bother them or even give them a run for their money

I know business is business and it's about money, but I don't want to hear Dana say how he is supporting MMA as a whole and the sport...He supports Zuffa - it so happens they are MMA, but he's only after the good of Zuffa...not MMA

This

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   9/10/11 11:46:38AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,826-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I actually think that UFC will buyback the library at a price they still make money off of. They already got the money from when they sold it to Spike, now they can offer a discounted price and resell it to whoever wants it. You guys got to remember that Zuffa is being investigated by the feds right now for possible hostile business practices and/or possible anti-trust sanctions. Not doing what will still be the more profitable option just to harm competition is not what anyone who has a freaking clue at Zuffa will be suggesting.

Post #7   9/10/11 4:31:11PM