Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nick Diaz Responds With a Video: 'I'm Sorry I Didn't Make It to the Beauty Pageant

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Unless you've been under a rock all day, you're probably aware of the Nick Diaz situation by now. He was removed from his UFC 137 welterweight title fight with Georges St. Pierre because he missed two press conferences and went MIA. Well, he's alive and well and chose to make a Youtube video to explain himself. Sort of. He doesn't address at all why he missed the press conferences, but he says he's ready to fight. About 16 times. He filmed the video while driving, on the way from San Francisco back to Stockton. He says he was trying to get on a plane to go to the press conference. He started by saying that he thinks Carlos Condit getting the fight with GSP is "ridiculous". He went off after that:

"Funny, one second I'm about to come into some money, do a little boxing, you know, f*uckin, probably lose some teeth. But um, I'm ready to get paid, ya know. So, I'll fight whoever, whatever, anything ya know. I'd definitely rather fight GSP of course. Ya know, I was ready to do some boxing, and they didn't like that. So they got me outta that, and they got me in the fight with GSP for the same money, or more money, or whatever. But now it looks like they get to save money, and I don't get paid, and I'm locked in a new contract. All these dealmakers making deals. All I know is I'm ready to fight. I'm sorry I didn't make it to the beauty pageant. But, ya know, I've never not showed up to a fight. I've never backed out of a fight in my life, that's not what I do. So I just wanted to throw that out there."

LINK

Post #1   9/7/11 10:21:06PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:
Sorry, Diaz. You made your bed, now lay in it. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Post #2   9/7/11 10:23:00PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
If you want to be a professional fighter, you must act like a professional.

Post #3   9/7/11 10:47:06PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,016-1,193
Chips:
Dear Nick Diaz,
You are a great fighter, as is evident with zuffa giving you a shot right off the bat with GSP. What you don't understand (at all) is that this is a PROFESSIONAL sport now. This isn't like it used to be where fighters just show up a few hours before the fight and then just fight. You have to do press conferences and such to promote the fight. All that money you wanna make so you don't have to fight anymore comes from doing said things. I understand you don't like doing these things but you come off a little childish when you don't even show up...twice. Now you're mad that Condit has taken your place. You say he doesn't deserve the fight. I'm here to tell you that many,many,many people believe he does. I'm here to tell you that unless you play "the game", even a little, your gonna be fighting a lot longer then you want because those big paydays are gonna be fewer and farther between fighting outside the UFC. I love to watch you fight but you shtick is getting really old bro. You and Chael should talk, although I'm not sure how much that will help

Best of luck
prophecy

Last edited 9/7/11 11:00PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   9/7/11 10:56:24PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,263-1,218
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Oh Nick. You are one hell of a fighter. There's no denying that; but like others have said, you don't know what it means to be a professional. Man up.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #5   9/7/11 11:09:28PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
"Ya know"

Post #6   9/7/11 11:34:21PM   

placente

MMA Regular

placente Avatar

Career:90-62
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
i didnt know dana had that power to pull off fights just like that.

Thats called lack of communication and abusive power gentleman.

Post #7   9/7/11 11:41:21PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
If he thinks that they get to save money he doesn't have a damn clue about how much money goes into promoting and advertising a title fight, and all of the money they've spent promoting and advertising GSP vs Diaz is down the drain because Diaz still acts like a teenager.

I actually have never been a Diaz hater, I like the guy generally, even if I think he's way over the top sometimes, but at this point I'm so tired of listening to him complaining about problems that he creates for himself, and sometimes even problems that only exist in his own imagination (like the interview with Helwani after his last strikeforce fight where he talks about how they're "going to have to find someone else to get rid of him.")

Get real dude. All he had to do was show up for maybe a half an hour, answer 3 or 4 questions, get his picture taken and go home, and he gets to fight for the UFC title. The guy seriously needs to grow up.

Post #8   9/7/11 11:41:35PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by placente

How is it an abuse of power exactly? The guy no-showed multiple press conferences and failed to tell his boss why.

Where I come from, if you don't show up to work multiple times without offering any legitimate reason you get fired, it's pretty standard protocol. People might think that a fighter's only job is to show up and fight, but that's simply not true. I'm about 99.99% positive that there are clauses in his contract stating that he has to show up to help promote his fights, and if he fails to do so, why should the UFC dump thousands of dollars into promoting a fight that Diaz himself is not interested in helping promote?

They can give the opportunity to someone who is willing to fulfill their contractual obligations and won't waste boatloads of their money by not showing up to promotional events that they've organized.

Post #9   9/7/11 11:47:06PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by placente

He's the president of the organization. He's capable of signing, releasing and I believe, scrapping fights whenever he damn well pleases.

This isn't abusive behavior. If your boss told you that you had to go to an important meeting, and you dipped out. Guess who wouldn't have a job either? Hint...You!

Post #10   9/7/11 11:47:34PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by placente

I think you're missing the point here...

Post #11   9/7/11 11:52:31PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I love how the name of the video is "Someone doesn't want me to win". This idiot just doesn't get it! He's the only one holding himself back!

Post #12   9/8/11 12:04:10AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,016-1,193
Chips:

Posted by placente

I would say that since Diaz said he tried to get a flight but never called Dana to inform him of his situation, that that was a lack of communication on his part. And wouldn't not doing your part to promote the fight like all the fighters before you and then have the nerve to think your still gonna fight be an abuse of power of sorts? Just some food for thought

Post #13   9/8/11 12:11:34AM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by placente

How is it an abuse of power exactly? The guy no-showed multiple press conferences and failed to tell his boss why.

Where I come from, if you don't show up to work multiple times without offering any legitimate reason you get fired, it's pretty standard protocol. People might think that a fighter's only job is to show up and fight, but that's simply not true. I'm about 99.99% positive that there are clauses in his contract stating that he has to show up to help promote his fights, and if he fails to do so, why should the UFC dump thousands of dollars into promoting a fight that Diaz himself is not interested in helping promote?

They can give the opportunity to someone who is willing to fulfill their contractual obligations and won't waste boatloads of their money by not showing up to promotional events that they've organized.

This. This. This.

Post #14   9/8/11 12:38:23AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by placente

It's called Mr. White (The Boss) grounding the child Nick Diaz.

Post #15   9/8/11 12:45:57AM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4