Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Nick Diaz pulled from GSP fight...Carlos Condit gets the call to fight GSP

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Nick Diaz simply won't play the game. He was banished once before by the UFC and it looks like its happened again to the elite welterweight.

During a UFC 137 press conference this afternoon in Las Vegas, Dana White announced Diaz has been dropped from the Oct. 29 main event. He's been replaced by Carlos Condit, who will face UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre.

LINK

Post #1   9/7/11 4:24:48PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Man oh man, I like this fight a lot better! Diaz's antics come to bite him in the ass, yet again.

<queue the fanboys to defend Diaz>

Condit will be quite a good test for GSP everywhere the fight goes.

Post #2   9/7/11 4:26:20PM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Chips:

Posted by gartface

<queue the fanboys to defend Diaz>

Yep. Time for more, "this is just how things are in Stockton" excuses.

Post #3   9/7/11 4:28:10PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Maybe he has something going on in his personal life, but considering who it is, it's more likely something crawled up his ass and pissed him off.

Post #4   9/7/11 4:31:28PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
from UFC's twitter Dana: "Diaz is gonna hear on the news that he's no longer fighting Georges St-Pierre, maybe he'll call me then."

dude should have just played the game for once instead he is pretty much done fighting any where of worth now if he doesnt patch this up

deff like this alot more though, condit is a gamer and goes in for the kill anytime, should be fun to see

Edit: also said BJ doesnt know yet either.. wonder what will BJ do now

Last edited 9/7/11 4:44PM server time by manak
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/7/11 4:33:17PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,624-875
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
i expected condit to get the next shot if he beat BJ anyways

love this fight

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #6   9/7/11 4:34:35PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Can't wait to hear what Diaz has to say.

Post #7   9/7/11 4:34:40PM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:715-520
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I don't give Condit much of a chance but I'm hoping he will be the one to finally take it to GSP.

Post #8   9/7/11 4:36:33PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Diaz reportedly has legitimate anxiety issues. Whether they're true or not, it's a shame because I was very much looking forward to the fight.

Not that Condit's a bad fighter by any reckoning - I think he's earned the title shot as much as anyone else. Because really, as legit of a shot Diaz had, he was riding a bit of a hype train out of Strikeforce. Condit's been in the UFC for a while, and he's off a huge win where he gave Dong Hyun Kim the BJ Penn/Caol Uno treatment.

This isn't a hard fight to analyze. Condit's weakness is GSPs biggest strength - the takedown. Granted, Condit is a huge welterweight with a very active guard. He's always looking to sweep or submit, or in the very least get back up. But he's far more dangerous standing. I think his variety of striking tools and credible knockout power mean that GSP needs more than his stepping jab and overhand right to win there.

I'd put GSP at a -300 favorite with Condit at a +200 underdog. Still looking forward to this.

Post #9   9/7/11 4:36:57PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Maybe he has something going on in his personal life, but considering who it is, it's more likely something crawled up his ass and pissed him off.

Yeah, Diaz could be in trouble. He might have a legitimate reason not to show up.

Last edited 9/7/11 4:40PM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: Spelling, mostly

Post #10   9/7/11 4:40:07PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by cowcatcher

Yeah, Diaz could be in trouble. He might have a legitimate reason not to show up.

As a professional athlete, or a professional in any realm, you disclose these sort of things, if they do in fact exist, with your higher-ups.

Regardless of him having issues or not, this is a professionalism issue. He could have told Dana, Silva or the Fertittas about anything that would keep him from showing up to a press conference.

Post #11   9/7/11 4:43:47PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by cowcatcher

Apparently, Nick slipped out the back door at Cesar's house. Looks like he's avoiding the situation as a whole.

Post #12   9/7/11 4:44:46PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by cowcatcher

Apparently, Nick slipped out the back door at Cesar's house. Looks like he's avoiding the situation as a whole.

You SEE!
I told you all.
Nick slipped and fell out the door behind Ceasar's house.
It's tragic, really.

Post #13   9/7/11 4:48:49PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,381-784
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I love Diaz, but I'm glad his BS finally bit him in the ass. We all elarned this lesson long ago & he should have to: DON'T **** WITH DANA WHITE!!!!!!!!!

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #14   9/7/11 4:49:12PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by cowcatcher

Apparently it had something to do with anxiety or of the sort, dana said he too worried diaz wouldnt so up on fight day so he pulled it now rather than later

Dana - he'd rather pull the fight now than promote a fight and then have to worry about whether Nick would show up the night of the fight

Post #15   9/7/11 4:49:57PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3