Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Henderson Wants Jon Jones vs. Quinton Jackson Winner in Unification Bout

Print  
Posted By Message

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"I think the biggest fight that the UFC would make money on and the fans would want to see, I would think, would be me against the winner of Jones and Rampage. That would be a fight to unify the titles with Strikeforce and UFC, I think that would be a good move. ... I'm not opposed to (fighting Shogun) but I think it wouldn't be a fight that I would be excited about right now. I think maybe if he's got one more big win on him."

Bloody Elbow

Me thinks Rashad might have a problem with this.....

Post #1   9/6/11 2:34:15PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think Hendo should fight the loser between jones/rampage, while Evans fights the winner. If Hendo wins, then he should get a title fight. IMO Evans should get first dibs

Post #2   9/6/11 3:59:02PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
what? How would this be a unification bout? Strikeforce and UFC are not merging, so there's no "unification" of titles to be done. When you leave one organization to fight in another, you generally don't keep your title, and even if you do, you can't unify belts from two completely separate organizations, even if they are owned by the same people.

The purpose of a unification bout is to "unify" 2 belts that are held in the same organization, like they did when PRIDE was merged into the UFC, or like they do when they have an interim belt while a champion is layed off.

Pretty interesting way of looking at it, I think he's really just saying that as a way to make it sound more appealing, it's not a unification bout though, that doesn't make any sense. That would basically mean that whoever beats him (assuming he loses) would become the strikeforce champion, and strikeforce would then have a UFC fighter as champion, meaning no one in strikeforce could ever fight for the title without moving to the UFC.

That's just not how it works. Clever way of trying to sell your idea, but it makes no sense. If you leave Strikeforce and go to the UFC, you're not the strikeforce champion anymore, just like Overeem and Shields are no longer Strikeforce champions.

Post #3   9/6/11 7:19:09PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I wish he would fight shogun
I think evans will play waiting game again
Stuff like this is why the ufc didn't resign him a few years ago this and money issue

Post #4   9/6/11 7:45:36PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Dan Henderson is a guy I love to watch but I don't actually like.

Post #5   9/6/11 8:19:06PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Whats not to like about Hendo?

Post #6   9/6/11 9:35:01PM