Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Remember: We were fans before the FOX deal

Print  
Posted By Message

SpicyMeatball

Learning to Sprawl

SpicyMeatball Avatar

Career:60-36
Chips:

The FOX deal is great for UFC and MMA as a whole, going from Spike to FOX and FX is nothing short of incredible. One of the cool things is this...Within five years UFC is going to be crazy popular, thanks to FOX and the level of exposure it will get. We will be able to say that we liked it before the FOX deal.

Some of us watched UFC 1. Some of us were there when Tito claimed to get poked in the eye. Some of us were there when Forrest and Bonnar tore it up for three rounds. Some of us were there when Hughes delivered the slam of the century. Some of us were there to watch Anderson Silva start his historic title reign. Some of us were there to see a kid named Jon Jones turn into a star seemingly overnight. Some of us were there to see Josh Koscheck evolve from a wrestler to an MMA fighter. Some of us were there when the UFC was so violent, you couldn't even order it on PPV.

There are going to be a lot of new fans over the next few years, which is great. I can't wait for this sport to get the recognition it deserves. These guys will act like they backed it all along. But like I said, we watched it before the FOX deal.

Post #1   9/3/11 7:46:48AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,292-1,292
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Who knows if the Fox deal will work out as well as they and the UFC hopes.

With Spike, the UFC was its only sports product and one of their few live programming events. They could take up long stretches of air time for not only their reality show and its re-runs but also for UFC Unleashed, Primetimes and live fight events. Also being a cable network SPIKE will have lower standards for acceptable ratings.

Already the first Fox broadcast is only going to be 2 fights, and in the future the UFC is going to have to compete for air time with not only other sports, but with shows like Glee, House, Fringe, American Idol, and the X factor.

Then you have Fox execs pushing Gus Johnson on everyone and you really have to wonder just how good of a deal this is for MMA fans?

Post #2   9/3/11 10:45:00AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't think it will bring in that much.
My concern is with pay per view buys down this year
The ufc may think that all the freebie fight nights and versus may be the cause
In 2012. I think ufc may have more pay per views. Bigger fights
Besides the four live events on fox. The 6 fight nights probably will be watered down like the fight night this month.

New fans is good, but if you ever go to the events a lot of these fans can't even name
5 fighters on the main card to save their life!!

Post #3   9/3/11 11:21:39AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Chips:
Some of us were fans before ANY deal. Some of use were fans back when Dana was a skinny B*tch with hair, some of us were fans back when chuck didn't stammer, some of us were fans when Tito actually has the belt that he claims to of had, some of us were fans back when Ken Shamrock won fights, some of us were fans back when Tank was actually a commodity. And last but not least, some of us were fans back when Keith Hackney won a fight by repeatedly striking Joe Son in the junk.
We are the Hardcore fans that kept this boat afloat.

Post #4   9/3/11 11:49:38AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,545-881
Chips:
side note:

i heard a guy at the bar i work at say he wished dana would put crocop, rampage, wanderlei, & fedor back in Pride where they belong.

I said, "Pride?"

he said, "yeah! Pride's still around. they were showing it on spike not too long ago!" (referring to the Best of Pride shows )

I just walked away

Post #5   9/3/11 1:21:48PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 36-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,481-954
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

side note:

i heard a guy at the bar i work at say he wished dana would put crocop, rampage, wanderlei, & fedor back in Pride where they belong.

I said, "Pride?"

he said, "yeah! Pride's still around. they were showing it on spike not too long ago!" (referring to the Best of Pride shows )

I just walked away

haha i hear ya bro. alot of the general public throw on a extra small tap out shirt & think they are ufc gurus.

WAR HACKNEY

Post #6   9/3/11 2:16:25PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

Posted by Poor_Franklin

side note:

I said, "Pride?"

I just walked away

haha i hear ya bro. alot of the general public throw on a extra small tap out shirt & think they are ufc gurus.

WAR HACKNEY

I will never forget the time I went to ufc 90
And sat next to these two guys

One asked me who was fighting silva in the main event
I said patrick cote
He responded " who's that"

Remind you this was 400 dollar seats we were in

Who the hell pays for that or floor seats and doesn't even know the main event
It makes me sick!!!

Post #7   9/3/11 8:56:40PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Posted by shaneTpain

Posted by Poor_Franklin

side note:

I said, "Pride?"

I just walked away

WAR HACKNEY

I said patrick cote

It makes me sick!!!

That's crazy.
This is why I don't wear Tap Out or Affliction. It's not that I have anything really against the brands in themselves,but I just see so many meatheads that no very little of MMA wearing them.
I hate it when guys walk around like "Don't mess with me I'm wearin' an O-Flick-shun shirt!"

Post #8   9/4/11 7:32:32AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by prozacnation1978

Posted by shaneTpain

Posted by Poor_Franklin

side note:

I said, "Pride?"

I just walked away

WAR HACKNEY

I said patrick cote

It makes me sick!!!

That's crazy.
This is why I don't wear Tap Out or Affliction. It's not that I have anything really against the brands in themselves,but I just see so many meatheads that no very little of MMA wearing them.
I hate it when guys walk around like "Don't mess with me I'm wearin' an O-Flick-shun shirt!"

I wear a lot of tap out shirts and others like sinister, silver star, and dethrone to name a few. But at least if someone comes up to me to chat mma or ufc I know mt ****, but a lot of fans don't
All I am saying is don't try to discuss mma or ufc if you don't know that much
If u ever go to events or expo, you will meet a lot of so called mma fans. They will say who their favorite fighter is but yet don't know when or who his next fight will be

Post #9   9/4/11 12:23:38PM   

placente

MMA Regular

placente Avatar

Career:90-62
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

side note:

I said, "Pride?"

I just walked away

i was watching the Machida vs shogun i remember a fat menacing bald guy sitting beside me at the bar table hollering GO MACHADO HIT HIM MACHADO C'MON and while that was happening my thoughts in my head were these

Last edited 9/4/11 10:05PM server time by placente
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   9/4/11 10:05:00PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:

Posted by placente

Posted by Poor_Franklin

side note:

I said, "Pride?"

I just walked away

i was watching the Machida vs shogun i remember a fat menacing bald guy sitting beside me at the bar table hollering GO MACHADO HIT HIM MACHADO C'MON and while that was happening my thoughts in my head were these

BAMMA.... British fans.... Cheap tickets....

First fight, guys behind me,
"What the f*ck did he take him down for"
"I thought we paid to see boxing not WWE"
"Yeah what a waste of money to see dumb sh*t."

No doubt they left after about 4 fights.... the tickets weren't even that cheap for the seating we were in... about £80 as well.

Last edited 9/5/11 4:30PM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #11   9/5/11 4:30:07PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,612-1,430
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

side note:

I said, "Pride?"

I just walked away

These types of fans are always good for a chuckle. I had a guy the other day try to convince me that Joe Rogan wasnt commentating at ufc 134 because he was training for his ufc debut.

No matter how much I tried to convince the drunkard that I followed mma and this wasnt the case, he would just respond, "Nope, Joe Rogan's making his debut in december and is gonna tune up everyone!"

Post #12   9/5/11 5:42:56PM