Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Pat Healy Flirts With Accusing Maximo Blanco of Steroid Use

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Pat Healy stepped in for Josh Thomson earlier this week, and he's already talking about new opponent Maximo Blanco. Healy spoke with Matt Bishop on Bloody Elbow Radio about Blanco's first fight in the States, and all but accused the latter of drug use:

Matt Bishop: Do you think this being his first fight in the cage can be a big factor for you?

Pat Healy: Yeah, I think that's a huge factor. If you've never fought in a cage before, it's a lot different than a ring. It's also his first time fighting in the States where they have athletic commissions who drug test for steroids, I think that'll be a big thing for him, too. Yeah. All that's going to affect him, I believe.

Matt Bishop: OK, I have to dig deeper on this one. So you mention his first time fighting with a commission, where they test for steroids. I can't say you're beating around the bush there, it seems like you're pretty much coming out and saying it.

Pat Healy: Well, you know, I've heard a lot of rumors. I think a lot of those PRIDE guys when they came over, they had their first performances, and you can look at all the top PRIDE guys, a lot of them came to the UFC and lost the first time and looked like they were gassed and tired and you know, I think it had a lot to do with the athletic commissions doing drug tests out here. You look at the size difference with a lot of those PRIDE guys when they were back in their hype, they looked a little bit unnatural, if you will.

LINK

Post #1   9/1/11 5:19:44PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:
First off, Matt Bishop is just awful. I don't know how he is now but during the first 4 or 5 bloodyelbow radio episodes he was painfully bad.

Okay, now secondly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Blanco had done steroids. I'm not accusing him, but I wouldn't be shocked. With that being said I think this will be a real tough fight and will prove if Blanco is legit or just another fighter who can't deal with North American MMA.

Post #2   9/1/11 5:27:06PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
War BAM-BAM

Post #3   9/1/11 6:38:44PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Haha "flirts with". Just seems like a weird word to have as the title.

Post #4   9/1/11 7:10:21PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Makes sense to me

Post #5   9/1/11 8:02:36PM   

BigCountryFedor

Banned for Cheating

BigCountryFedor Avatar

Career:653-352
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
What Pats basically saying is he is going to survive Blanco's onslaught in the first round and expects Blanco to gas...
not gunna happen jack..
I think pats gonna get beat up if Blanco used roids in Japan or doesnt in America.

Post #6   9/1/11 8:35:53PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

First off, Matt Bishop is just awful. I don't know how he is now but during the first 4 or 5 bloodyelbow radio episodes he was painfully bad.

Okay, now secondly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Blanco had done steroids. I'm not accusing him, but I wouldn't be shocked. With that being said I think this will be a real tough fight and will prove if Blanco is legit or just another fighter who can't deal with North American MMA.

Would you be surprised to hear that any professional athlete had done steroids?

I wouldn't be.

I think Blanco will transition just fine given that the bane of much international talent is wrestling and Blanco's background is wrestling. I don't think he's a champ unless he learns how to fight with a brain, but it will be fun to watch him donkey kong Pat Healy.

Post #7   9/1/11 10:00:10PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,451-1,459
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Pat Healy is such a friggin Gamer! Dude is a stud and I always enjoy his fights! War HEALY!

Post #8   9/1/11 10:16:06PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Budgellism

I wouldn't be.

I think Blanco will transition just fine given that the bane of much international talent is wrestling and Blanco's background is wrestling. I don't think he's a champ unless he learns how to fight with a brain, but it will be fun to watch him donkey kong Pat Healy.

Pat Healy's background is also wrestling, but at a much higher level than Blanco. No way in hell does Pat get "Donkey Konged".

Post #9   9/1/11 10:20:20PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Budgellism

I wouldn't be.

To be honest there is a large list of athletes I would be shocked to find out took steroids.

Post #10   9/2/11 1:21:06AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Budgellism

I wouldn't be.

To be honest there is a large list of athletes I would be shocked to find out took steroids.

Fair enough

Post #11   9/2/11 1:34:19AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Budgellism

I wouldn't be.

Pat Healy's background is also wrestling, but at a much higher level than Blanco. No way in hell does Pat get "Donkey Konged".

I wasn't comparing their wrestling directly, but since you did it is worth noting that while Pat Healy is a two year starter at Southern Illinois, Blanco is a bronze medalist in the Pan Am Games. International Freestyle and College Folkstyle are markedly different, but as far as it goes Blanco is the more decorated wrestler.

Post #12   9/2/11 1:41:57AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
He's not really saying anything that we haven't already heard, is he? I mean it's a specific, yet unsure accusation. He's sort of stirring the pot, but isn't necessarily saying it.

You mean that some PRIDE/Dream/WVR guys probably did steroids when they were fighting in Japan without athletic commissions!?

Post #13   9/2/11 9:21:30AM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Chips:
WAR BAM BAM

Post #14   9/2/11 9:34:48AM