Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Daniel Cormier Has Message for Wrestling's Critics: 'Learn Takedown Defense'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Daniel Cormier has a message for critics of wrestlers, and it doesn't sound like he's going to budge on it anytime soon.

Cormier, one of the most decorated college and amateur wrestlers ever to break into mixed martial arts, has found himself smack-dab in the middle of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix against Antonio Silva in the semifinals. And while he believes the fight is his most important test to date, he isn't going to apologize for being a wrestler.

Simply put, the unbeaten heavyweight believes if his opponent can't stop his takedowns, well ... too bad.

"It's not my job, it's not Jon Fitch's job, it's not Josh Barnett's job to actually teach someone takedown defense," Cormier said Tuesday during a media call. "It's their job to learn takedown defense. If they can't defend the takedown, then they deserve to lay on their back for 15 minutes."

LINK

Post #1   8/31/11 8:55:42AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I agree and we as fans should embrace that rather than support guys who cry about being taken down...because the fighters that cry about it shoudl train and not be taken down then the fight is kept standing which most of us want...

Post #2   8/31/11 10:01:38AM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,095-1,310
Chips:
People who want to stand and trade are already at a disavantage when all the wrestler wants to do is clinch and drag you down. I do agree to an extent but all a wrestler has to do is eat a shot or two rush in and get the clinch and they can hold that all day , Alves vs Fitch is a prime example.
I think its more about the striker shooting in on the wrestler and giving him something else to think about, make him think twice before rushing you again.

Post #3   8/31/11 10:37:51AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mattjonesy

People who want to stand and trade are already at a disavantage when all the wrestler wants to do is clinch and drag you down.

The fight starts with both men standing up. That doesn't give the wrestler the advantage.

Post #4   8/31/11 10:40:10AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

. If they can't defend the takedown, then they deserve to lay on their back for 15 minutes."

LINK

And that's where the problem lies. I don't mind a great wrestler getting takedowns and working to improve position while inflicting moderate damage or really punishing the opponent.

The problem lies in the lack of interest in finishing a fight once the takedown is completed. I think it's interesting that standups were a little quicker on the Rio card.

The most frusturating thing to me is the wall clinch. If a takedown takes longer than 1 minute to complete, separate the fighters off the cage. That's not wrestling, in wrestling you don't get a wall to hug someone against.

Post #5   8/31/11 10:46:56AM   

FastKnockout

----PAPERBOY----

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by NE-1

Posted by emfleek

. If they can't defend the takedown, then they deserve to lay on their back for 15 minutes."

LINK

And that's where the problem lies. I don't mind a great wrestler getting takedowns and working to improve position while inflicting moderate damage or really punishing the opponent.

The problem lies in the lack of interest in finishing a fight once the takedown is completed. I think it's interesting that standups were a little quicker on the Rio card.

The most frusturating thing to me is the wall clinch. If a takedown takes longer than 1 minute to complete, separate the fighters off the cage. That's not wrestling, in wrestling you don't get a wall to hug someone against.

Fighters should never be separated while against the cage. There are some fighters who use it as a tactic, such as Randy Couture. He holds his opponents against the cage and slowly drains their energy, while also landing moderate damage with his dirty boxing.

Post #6   8/31/11 12:34:38PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Fighters should never be separated while against the cage unless they're stalling.

Fixed.

Post #7   8/31/11 12:38:28PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Daniel Cormier has a message for critics of wrestlers, and it doesn't sound like he's going to budge on it anytime soon.

Cormier, one of the most decorated college and amateur wrestlers ever to break into mixed martial arts, has found himself smack-dab in the middle of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix against Antonio Silva in the semifinals. And while he believes the fight is his most important test to date, he isn't going to apologize for being a wrestler.

Simply put, the unbeaten heavyweight believes if his opponent can't stop his takedowns, well ... too bad.

"It's not my job, it's not Jon Fitch's job, it's not Josh Barnett's job to actually teach someone takedown defense," Cormier said Tuesday during a media call. "It's their job to learn takedown defense. If they can't defend the takedown, then they deserve to lay on their back for 15 minutes."

LINK

Preach it Daniel.....words of wisdom

Post #8   8/31/11 12:46:01PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
Don't understand what the debate is here. Wrestling is part of it. You don't see wrestlers complaining about getting punched in the face. What's the difference?

Post #9   8/31/11 2:10:16PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,971-1,169
Chips:
If you don't like getting taken down, work on your tdd or learn to work off your back. If neither of those suit you, move to kickboxing

Post #10   8/31/11 2:47:18PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by NE-1

Posted by emfleek

LINK

Fighters should never be separated while against the cage. There are some fighters who use it as a tactic, such as Randy Couture. He holds his opponents against the cage and slowly drains their energy, while also landing moderate damage with his dirty boxing.

Sorry but Randy Couture is the only fighter to ever effectively utilize that as a game plan. Am I crazy or is hugging someone for 10 minutes to "slowly drain energy" not fighting?

You have 15 minutes to fight, I don't pay to watch you hug and footstomp for 10 of the 15 minutes. I'll watch a first grade fight if I want to see this type of action.

Effective work off the cage see Mir vs Carwin
Ineffective & what I have a problem with Alves vs Story

Post #11   8/31/11 7:09:17PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by NE-1

Posted by emfleek

LINK

Lay on ur back for 15 min?? does he intend to finish at any point.. tthat is the problem just laying there

Post #12   8/31/11 7:50:44PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

LINK

Y did he bring up barnett, he has a good finishing record, if he takes u down, ur prb getting subed. as far as fitch, he wants a title fight which he deff earned but dec dont pay the bills as much as KOs n SUBs, but i agree u need to learn TDD but lay n pray blows to watch

Post #13   8/31/11 7:54:58PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,971-1,169
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by emfleek

LINK

Y did he bring up barnett, he has a good finishing record, if he takes u down, ur prb getting subed. as far as fitch, he wants a title fight which he deff earned but dec dont pay the bills as much as KOs n SUBs, but i agree u need to learn TDD but lay n pray blows to watch

I think he was just naming guys that shoot for the takedown more often then not. Barnett does have a pretty good finishing record.

Post #14   8/31/11 8:19:44PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,184-1,225
Chips:
I've always wondered whether the same people who call for stand-ups on wrestlers would be as eager to see the fight brought to the ground if the striker is trying to hard to keep the fight at a distance and not engaging enough on the feet. (Kalib Starnes comes to mind)

Something tells me that rule change wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of support that standing up the wrestlers do.

Post #15   8/31/11 9:04:52PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2