Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Fedor of Musicians - Neil Peart - post your favorite solos

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
Man I used to be a huge Yngwie Fan (I nearly even bought his signature guitar!) but now not so much, Id like him a bit more if he did more than just playing Harmonic and Natural Minor scales in the key of Eb minor or A minor...

Yes, I remember my days of shredding away like Yngwie as a young lad, then it struck me that I was playing the same lick over an over again!

thumbs up for a little blast from the past though!

Post #16   5/10/07 2:29:42AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2
Yes, I remember my days of shredding away like Yngwie as a young lad, then it struck me that I was playing the same lick over an over again!

Haven't you only been playing guitar for 4 years?

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #17   5/10/07 4:19:18AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Flo Mounier is a beast. As far as death metal drummers go, while their stlye is very restrictive and often more of a stamina contest than a proper musical undertaking, you should definitely check out Derek Roddy (Hate Eternal) and the Numerous drummers that Nile have had, they are musical way beyond most in Death metal.

Actually, just check Nile out, they are a really cool (but REALLY heavy band).

If its sheer speed you are after, then check out The Berzerker. Their drummers are amazing (their 1st and 3rd albums were done with drum machines, but all songs were played live at some point, 2nd and 4th albums used real drummers in the studio and live). The speed of these guys is phenomenal. No one Ive heard can match them, but aswell as being ridiculously fast they are very skilled aswell, using a drill n Bass style snare / kick interaction to keep it fresh and avoiding the death metal cliche of 8 bar blast patterns.

My favorite drummer from Death metal is Richard Christy of Death/Control Denied/Iced Earth fame. Hes got unbelivable speed and I like his symbol work quite a bit. Too bad he quit music for a job on the Howard Stern show. Also Aegir Mikaelsson from Borknagar comes up with some great patterns.

As for The Berzerker, I don't believe the drummer can play that fast in concert. I've downloaded some concert clips, but I've never seen his feet in the clips, but those beats are easily twice as fast as the fastest guys out there. No ******* way is that duplicated in concert without some kind of aid.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #18   5/10/07 4:25:48AM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
Dan Carey from Tool the man has 8 arms. The best band ever!!!!!!!

Post #19   5/10/07 10:18:29AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by Mastodon2

Haven't you only been playing guitar for 4 years?

yeah I was 14 when I started, just a young lad, now Im 18 and things have chaged immensely. I started off just wanting to play Limp Bizkit and Slipknot songs, then death metal which I got bored of quite quickly, got into Yngwie, thought he was the best thing ever, soon realised he wasnt, fell in love with Steve Vai, now Im into Jazz, its been a logical progression through complexity and Jazz looks like where I'll be staying, because its a musical style that is so unfathomably limitless.

4 years is a looooong time when talking about music tastes, or mine at least, Ive been through a lot of styles in the last 4 years!

Post #20   5/10/07 11:07:57AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

As for The Berzerker, I don't believe the drummer can play that fast in concert. I've downloaded some concert clips, but I've never seen his feet in the clips, but those beats are easily twice as fast as the fastest guys out there. No ******* way is that duplicated in concert without some kind of aid.

I know it seems that its unreal and it is, Im sure the two drummers that have played live with the Berzerker arent human. As for him not reaching the speeds, on the DVD they released after their "Dissimulate" album, called "The Principles and Practices of the Berzerker", the drummer can be seen in the studio playing the tracks on his electric kit, and the mix fades between the real sounds of him hitting the rubber pads, to the final drum mix. I know it seems like he must be cheating, but I assure you he really isnt. He just appears to have some superior fast twitch muscle fibres, perhaps coupled with a genetic propensity to A) Store a lot of Glycogen in his muscles, B) Convert that Glycogen to Glucose at a phenomenal rate, C) Not be as susceptible to lactic acid build up and D) Have Haemoglobin that assosciates and disossciates with Oxygen more quickly than most peoples. At least thats my biologically minded opinion. Having great technique like they do must help a hell of a lot too.

I too was incredulous, but it really is true, they are just incredibly fast, and have fantastic technique.

Post #21   5/10/07 11:15:07AM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
If you want unbelieveable speed on the drums check out Virgil Donati, he will blow your mind I guarentee.

I also have played drums for a long long time now and love playing live music, so I am very familiar with Pert and he is one of my favorites. But my all time favorite would have to be Steve Gadd.

As far as guitar, I will take Buckethead in the shredder category any day, or Vernon Reid from Living Colour who I consider to be an absolute genious.

Post #22   5/10/07 5:04:28PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
Virgil Donati is a wizard, Ive got the Steve Vai Live at the Astoria DVD and his solo on that is incredible, his dexterity and rhythm is considerable to say the least!

I didnt think Steve would be able to get a decent replacement for Virgil after he left, but Steve came out of nowhere with Jeremy Colsen, a drumming machine! The kid is only young, but his skills are Donati level, and imo he plays with more feel and heart Donati. Both are amazinhg!

Post #23   5/10/07 6:47:27PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

now Im into Jazz, its been a logical progression through complexity and Jazz looks like where I'll be staying, because its a musical style that is so unfathomably limitless.

4 years is a looooong time when talking about music tastes, or mine at least, Ive been through a lot of styles in the last 4 years!

my favorite jazz song

Last edited 5/10/07 10:42PM server time by JunCTion
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   5/10/07 10:42:20PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
Richard Christy and Mike Portnoy Drum Solo

Virgil Donati Drum solo

hey guys i cant find some of these guys. can you post some web links so we can all watch them?

nice solo by ron jarzombek

Guitarist Dominic Frasca

Last edited 5/10/07 11:26PM server time by JunCTion
2 total post edits

Post #25   5/10/07 10:58:57PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by Svartorm

I know it seems that its unreal and it is, Im sure the two drummers that have played live with the Berzerker arent human. As for him not reaching the speeds, on the DVD they released after their "Dissimulate" album, called "The Principles and Practices of the Berzerker", the drummer can be seen in the studio playing the tracks on his electric kit, and the mix fades between the real sounds of him hitting the rubber pads, to the final drum mix. I know it seems like he must be cheating, but I assure you he really isnt. He just appears to have some superior fast twitch muscle fibres, perhaps coupled with a genetic propensity to A) Store a lot of Glycogen in his muscles, B) Convert that Glycogen to Glucose at a phenomenal rate, C) Not be as susceptible to lactic acid build up and D) Have Haemoglobin that assosciates and disossciates with Oxygen more quickly than most peoples. At least thats my biologically minded opinion. Having great technique like they do must help a hell of a lot too.

I too was incredulous, but it really is true, they are just incredibly fast, and have fantastic technique.

Damn, if you saw it, I'll believe it. I just thought it odd I couldn't find a clip online of the guys feet, and figured they were cheating. Usually when you have a drummer with ridiculous foot speed, like Gene Hoglan for example, they'll tend to show the feet or legs moving in videos.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #26   5/11/07 3:39:24AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
agreed, Hoglan is a monster too, and you see his legs in the video for Strapping Young Lad's "Love?", but in that song he is focused on 7 kick rolls locked in super tight with the snare, and the only time he rolls continous 16ths the camera isnt on his legs :(

Post #27   5/11/07 4:58:02PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
I've seen SYL live two or three times, and the guy can seriously move. Hes got a pretty bare-bones kit, so you can see him the whole time. Pretty amazing considering how huge the guy is. Him and Nick Barker have to be the fattest drummers in metal.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #28   5/11/07 9:51:58PM   

Signal2112

Standup Guy

Signal2112 Avatar

Career:52-22
Chips:
Well, I'm sure I can add to this thread.

In terms of sheer speed on the bass guitar, at least for traditional slap style (no double thumbing in the style of Wooten, and no thumb up plucks like Bill Dickens), Mark King is pretty hard to beat. I don't think I've ever seen him play faster than he does in this video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgWAwQaWosE

Similarly, Hellborg was a bit of a slap monster back in the 80's. These days he's perhaps a tad more reserved, but he still has intense chops. This footage is taken from a Mahavishnu show in the early 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVI5GhtllYM

This cut from the Paris DVD showcases Jonas's musical supergroup with the Vinayakram brothers and the late Shawn Lane. Man, I can't thank Jonas enough for getting Shawn into Carnatic, hindustanni and Pakistanni music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l5sEvC0SpY

And of course, this is perhaps the greatest guitar solo I have ever heard. Utterly transcendant. Shawn's tone coming from that Vigier is just magical. The indian influence is incredibly apparent, highlighted especially in the phrases where he appears to emulate the vocal phrasing of carnatic vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpP_Eix2INg

And a sprinkling of John Mclaughlin and we're done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVq9Z9guKyY

Post #29   5/31/07 8:29:36AM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1wuBFfALs&mode=related&search

Eddie Van Halen, live in Toronto, 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz87jhgbwuA&mode=related&search=

A whole bunch of solos, including a short piece of Eruption, by my hero, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s0h47TqsyM

And another amazing guitar player, Peter Frampton.

3 of my favorite guitar players of all time.

Last edited 5/31/07 2:49PM server time by DJDark41

Post #30   5/31/07 2:49:13PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3