Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

FOX head: We'd love to have Gus Johnson cover UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
After today's press conference, MMAHeat's Karyn Bryant interviewed MMAFOX Sports Media Group chairman. The interviewed touched on a number of subjects, but perhaps non as notable to the hard core internet fans as his hope that Gus Johnson be brought in to cover the UFC.

Please, God...NO!

Post #1   8/19/11 9:30:51AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,916-1,505
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Please, for the love of god...no

Post #2   8/19/11 9:50:47AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Time to start the UFC board with NO Gus Johnson....Well pretty obvious that Fox knows nothing about MMA and definitely hasnt done any research with avid MMA fans..

I am sure Fox wants it to be more professional and are like "who else do we hire"?

Post #3   8/19/11 10:41:08AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,361-1,266
Chips:

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #4   8/19/11 10:51:15AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,146-1,245
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Time to start the UFC board with NO Gus Johnson....Well pretty obvious that Fox knows nothing about MMA and definitely hasnt done any research with avid MMA fans..

I am sure Fox wants it to be more professional and are like "who else do we hire"?

Bingo

Post #5   8/19/11 10:57:53AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Bas, Showdown Joe, Mauro, The Voice, Rogan, Couture, Ariel, Dana White.....anyone besides Gus

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   8/19/11 11:19:41AM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Man, seriously? This guy honestly knows nothing about MMA and can't even string together a question... "He looked to have you hurt there, you recovered well and came out strong in the second" *shoves mic in face..*

Guy is a numb.

Post #7   8/19/11 11:33:12AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!

Post #8   8/19/11 12:26:45PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,715-978
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Bas, Showdown Joe, Mauro, The Voice, Rogan, Couture, Ariel, Dana White.....anyone besides Gus

BAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #9   8/19/11 12:27:48PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,361-1,266
Chips:

Out of these names, I like Bas and Rogan the best. Couture wouldn't be too bad either. I just want someone competent, exciting, and not to over the top. Ariel is a great interviewer, and I'm not sure how well that would translate to play by play. He would be a great #2 though, possibly beside Rogan.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #10   8/19/11 12:33:12PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Pointed this out yesterday on another thread, that Gus was with FOX.

I dont think Dana likes Gus, so Idk if he can not allow Gus on.

But, I think Michael Scott said it best link. NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!! NOOOOOOOOO

Post #11   8/19/11 12:33:13PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,958-1,117
Chips:
The problem with getting a fighter for the 3rd man in the booth they really need a PBP guy. The classic formula is pbp, color commentary, and one either funny man or former athlete.

Goldie is supposed to be the PBP guy right now, but he has never really gotten around to filling that role very well, and instead has taken to filling the unintended comic relief role.

I am by no means a fan of Gus, but the list of guys qualified to do the PBP for the UFC is pretty limited. They could try to pull in Tony Schiavello, but while he at least knows what he is talking about most of the time, he is goofier than Goldie and I'm not sure that Aussie accent of his will play well on fox network tv. Mauro is just as goofy as either Goldie or Tony.

I'd love to see them keep Rogan (who was supposed to be the funny guy originally, but has become a good color commentary guy), ditch Goldie on the PBP and replace him with someone who can actually do the PBP without sounding like a drunk uncle, and add a fighter for the 3rd person.

Post #12   8/19/11 12:49:54PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
With respect to Bas and Rogan I think personally they do not come across as a professional and are quite biased in commentating...To become a mainstream sport you have to check that stuff at the door...

I think they want the commentating similar to NFL on Fox..

You never hear of troy Aikman or a player commenting on their former team screaming or one-sided commentary and you get a lot of that from Bas..

And Rogan just comes across to me as too animated when you are ttrying to mainstream the sport and present it to politicians..>Also witht eh comments about matt Hamill would cost someone on Fox or NBC their job...Unless a sincere public apology was formed...

But we as fans must roll with the sport as it transforms...Just like wrestlers laying and praying not fun to watch but these are just the things we will have to deal with..

I am a bit surprised though of the Gus Johnson quote...Maybe they are throwing it out there and someone will be smart enough to do some research and see what other options are..

IMO I think Frank Mir was fantastic...You might not like the guy but he was never biased in the WEC and his commentary was very technically sound in explaing every nuance going on with the fighters...Just my opinion..

Post #13   8/19/11 1:13:23PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I prefer listening to Jim Brown and Bill Wallace over Gus.

Post #14   8/19/11 1:15:27PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

IMO I think Frank Mir was fantastic...You might not like the guy but he was never biased in the WEC and his commentary was very technically sound in explaing every nuance going on with the fighters...Just my opinion..

That's a joke, right? Frank Mir was absolutely biased to the highest degree. There were times when I thought he actually wanted to ask Miguel Torres to marry him.

Not to mention his incessant usage of the non-existent word "gots".

Mir's knowledgeable and experienced, but that's about all he brings to the table.

Last edited 8/19/11 1:19PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   8/19/11 1:17:42PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4