Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dan Henderson Wants a Title Unification Fight in UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson is in a pretty good position right now. He's now a free agent after defeating Fedor Emelianenko in the last fight of his Strikeforce deal, and it seems pretty obvious that he'll end up back in the UFC. He spoke to MMA Weekly Radio about the barriers involved in him making his return, and who he could possibly fight. On the contract negotiations:

"It will probably come down to money, but it’s coming from the same people, so it’s a matter of where they’re going to make the most money off of me as well, and to be able to pay what I’m getting paid, they need to be making money as well," commented Henderson.

LINK

Post #1   8/18/11 11:33:42PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,370-793
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Dan Henderson doesn't deserve one but it would be great.

Post #2   8/18/11 11:49:12PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
I would like to see him fight Machida, but wont complain if he gets a title shot.

Post #3   8/18/11 11:52:10PM   

kizzane

MMA Regular

kizzane Avatar

Career:825-427
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I agree with sbull.

How about henderson vs carwin as a segway!?

Post #4   8/19/11 12:44:35AM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,335-763
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I would much rather see him fight Machida but he has looked great lately I think he could actually handle Jones but Evans still should be ahead of him so Machida would make more sense imo

Post #5   8/19/11 1:29:30AM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I would much rather see him fight Machida but he has looked great lately I think he could actually handle Jones but Evans still should be ahead of him so Machida would make more sense imo

Don't think anyone can handle Bones right now, but Hendo would make it interesting.

Post #6   8/19/11 1:38:15AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Henderson needs the title unification bout. He knows his time is near to call it quits. If he should get a number one contender fight and loses, he will slowly fade away like all the greats.

So I agree with Henderson wanting an immediate unification bout. This is his opportunity to make serious money. The ufc would be foolish to not grant a unification bout. Unification bouts are awesome and may even attract new fans to the sport.

I dislike the suggestion of Henderson vs Machida or another fighter for the number one contender spot. If Henderson loses, there goes the unification bout.

The unification bout has money written all over it and it would be foolish for the ufc to pass it up.

Post #7   8/19/11 1:51:15AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
From a business perspective, Kung is right. Strike the iron while it's hot.

Plus, Rashad's hand is injured right now as it is.

Post #8   8/19/11 1:57:13AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
I would like to see Hendo take on Bones but sadly I think he (Hendo) would get hurt. I think we are going to see Rashad get hurt soon enough. I am not a fan of Jon Jones but I can't see anyone touching him right now. Of course we really haven't see Jones get hit hard yet. Maybe Hendo could clean his clock....who knows? Realistically though I don't feel he is in line for a UFC title bout. Maybe as a unifier.

Post #9   8/19/11 2:58:05AM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,010-590
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Hendo deserves the shot just as much as Rampage. I mean, Rampage beat Hammil to get the shot and Hammil subsequently lost to an up and comer in Gustafson. Hendo has basically cleaned out the Strikeforce light heavy weight division (I know it is weak) and he is the only fighter to TKO Fidor. Regardless if Fedor is on the downslope of his career or was over rated in recent years, he still is the greatest heavy weight in history to date.

Evens deserves the next shot, not because he beat Tito, but because he was in line to fight Rua and then got hurt. The Tito fight was just a tune up. If either Rampage or Rashad get hurt, Hendo should be next in line.

Post #10   8/19/11 9:23:27AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Dan Henderson doesn't deserve one but it would be great.

I think he has just as much of a claim for a unification bout as Nick Diaz. Well I guess that isn't necessarily a unification bout, but you get what I'm saying. Henderson's dominated since losing to Shields.

Rampage is already lined up and Evans is nicked up. Why not? Hendo would bring in a better viewing than Machida or Davis, in my opinion.

Post #11   8/19/11 9:42:15AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
I'd like to see Hendo get one last hurrah myself. But Zuffa has always been about maximizing it's bottom line. And the fact of the matter is simple:

Regardless of who wins the Jones/Rampage fight there is going to be genuine heat and interest to see that man fight Rashad. Mean while, Henderson hasn't moved the needle at all relative to the ratings of other Strikeforce cards. Zuffa is going to stand to make more money by pushing Rashad v Jones or Rampage than they would Henderson v Jones or Rampage.

And even if they do decide to put Hendo back in there for a title shot; they can't market it as a title unification bout because Strikeforce is still a viable entity. It's not like Jones would step into the hexagon and defend strikeforce's belt if he took it off Henderson. That's just not going to happen. If Hendo wants the title shot he needs to vacate the Strikeforce belt upon signing with UFC.

Post #12   8/19/11 10:23:52AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Henderson, the first fighter to lose 3 title unification fights.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #13   8/19/11 10:56:15AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

I'd like to see Hendo get one last hurrah myself. But Zuffa has always been about maximizing it's bottom line. And the fact of the matter is simple:

Regardless of who wins the Jones/Rampage fight there is going to be genuine heat and interest to see that man fight Rashad. Mean while, Henderson hasn't moved the needle at all relative to the ratings of other Strikeforce cards. Zuffa is going to stand to make more money by pushing Rashad v Jones or Rampage than they would Henderson v Jones or Rampage.

And even if they do decide to put Hendo back in there for a title shot; they can't market it as a title unification bout because Strikeforce is still a viable entity. It's not like Jones would step into the hexagon and defend strikeforce's belt if he took it off Henderson. That's just not going to happen. If Hendo wants the title shot he needs to vacate the Strikeforce belt upon signing with UFC.

saying "the hexagon" sounds wierd

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   8/19/11 12:37:51PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Being honest Henderson just wants the big payday...I dont blame him one bit...He is alot like Fedor...Just watch Hendos right hand....Bottom line Jon Joens trains at Greg jackson they will be saying this all day...

Everyone wants to test Jon Jones but that reach will just be too much for Hendo...this fight wont be close...I say first round tko for Jones with elbows on top of Henderson...

Post #15   8/19/11 1:27:16PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2