Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White Calls Yushin Okami the Best Japanese Fighter Ever

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC President Dana White is fond of saying that the only way to prove you're the best fighter in the world is to do it in the UFC. It's not that there aren't any good fighters in other promotions, White believes, it's just that the only fighters who consistently test themselves against the best in the world are the ones who do it inside the Octagon.

By that rationale, White says Yushin Okami -- who will fight Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title at UFC 134 -- is the greatest Japanese fighter in MMA history.

"In my opinion, Yushin Okami is the best fighter ever to come out of Japan," White said. "This guy didn't fight cans and get this built-up, mythological record."

Link

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #1   8/16/11 10:23:02PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by kopower

UFC President Dana White is fond of saying that the only way to prove you're the best fighter in the world is to do it in the UFC. It's not that there aren't any good fighters in other promotions, White believes, it's just that the only fighters who consistently test themselves against the best in the world are the ones who do it inside the Octagon.

By that rationale, White says Yushin Okami -- who will fight Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title at UFC 134 -- is the greatest Japanese fighter in MMA history.

"In my opinion, Yushin Okami is the best fighter ever to come out of Japan," White said. "This guy didn't fight cans and get this built-up, mythological record."

Link

Post #2   8/16/11 10:42:23PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,889-1,010
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The only guy I would rank ahead of him is sakuraba. Its a shame we never got to see him in the octagon.

Post #3   8/17/11 12:08:50AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
What does one expect Dana to say about a guy who is about to challenge for the title? I expect nothing less from Dana.

However, I disagree even-though I am on the Okami express. I would have to say Sakuraba is arguably the best Japanese mma fighter. He has fought all over the place while taking on fighters who are much bigger than he is. Despite all the disadvantages, Sakuraba has managed to do very well in mma. He is a legend in his own right and is arguably one of the best mma legends of all time.

Post #4   8/17/11 12:24:51AM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

The only guy I would rank ahead of him is sakuraba. Its a shame we never got to see him in the octagon.

In One Night

Post #5   8/17/11 12:54:04AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Ah but we did.

Actually a very interesting story.

As for Okami, I dont think anyone can doubt he's the best Japanese fighter ever if he beats Anderson Silva.

Last edited 8/17/11 12:56AM server time by Franklinfan47
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   8/17/11 12:56:05AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

As for Okami, I dont think anyone can doubt he's the best Japanese fighter ever if he beats Anderson Silva.

Okami may be considered a better fighter than Saku if he defeats Silva but I doubt his legacy can rival what Saku has done in mma.

And BTW, I am counting on Okami defeating Anderson Silva.

Post #7   8/17/11 1:03:40AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Chips:
There's no doubt Sakuraba has done alot for Japanese MMA, he is a legend for sure. But in terms of putting Japan on the mma map, a win over Anderson Silva at this point trumps anything Sakuraba ever did IMO. Silva's been at the top of most peoples pound 4 pound for like the last 4 years, while most casual fans I talk to dont even know who Sakuraba is, which is a shame considering his accomplishments.

Post #8   8/17/11 1:17:05AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Franklinfan47

Okami may be considered a better fighter than Saku if he defeats Silva but I doubt his legacy can rival what Saku has done in mma.

I have Okami by UD.

Post #9   8/17/11 1:17:34AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Franklinfan47

I have Okami by UD.

I think you and I are alone in this one. Do not worry. We will simply point fingers and say, " Ah-ha, I told you so!"

Post #10   8/17/11 1:25:52AM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by quezocrema0032

Ah but we did.

Actually a very interesting story.

Lol alright YOU guys saw him in the octagon. I was 6 so I did not see him lol. Smart asses

Post #11   8/17/11 1:27:46AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Yes, this is true...I would say that it's somewhat of an apples and oranges situation though. The current climate of MMA really wouldn't allow anyone to do what Sakuraba did during his time, much as it's hard to draw a true parallel to what Royce did in the first few UFC events. Different times with different circumstances that will never truly be repeated. I would say that Okami is definitely the best Japanese fighter currently, but Sakuraba holds the all time title in my book. I'd give Okami the second slot without hesitation though...and if he does beat Anderson, then Dana's claim would become reality.

Post #12   8/17/11 1:28:50AM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

There's no doubt Sakuraba has done alot for Japanese MMA, he is a legend for sure. But in terms of putting Japan on the mma map, a win over Anderson Silva at this point trumps anything Sakuraba ever did IMO. Silva's been at the top of most peoples pound 4 pound for like the last 4 years, while most casual fans I talk to dont even know who Sakuraba is, which is a shame considering his accomplishments.

I disagree, mostly because Anderson has to lose eventually so Okami would just be the lucky Sob to cash in. Much like Werdum when he beat Fedor.

On the other hand Sakuraba fighting Royce Gracie in a match that Royce constructed and beating him in a match that lasted as long as it did is the stuff of legend.

Post #13   8/17/11 1:32:04AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

he won ultimate Japan

Post #14   8/17/11 2:37:58AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I don't agree with Dana here.
Okami is a great JMMA fighter,probably the best to come from Japan to America,but to put him above Saku,I find laughable.
People aren't talking about Okami like they did Sakuraba. He wasn't just a fighter,he was an inavator.

Post #15   8/17/11 3:07:11PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2