Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alistair Overeem Says He Is Not Cut From Strikeforce, Wants an Immediate UFC Title Shot

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The latest chapter in the Zuffa vs. Golden Glory discussion sounds like good news for fans of The Reem. According to both Overeem himself and Golden Glory head Bas Boon, Alistair Overeem has not in fact been cut from Strikeforce or stripped of the Heavyweight title.

Overeem sat down with MMA Bay to discuss this whole situation, saying that he is in a negotiation period with the UFC. He also added that he's ready to come to the UFC, and he wants an immediate shot at the Heavyweight title:

I am in an exclusive negotiation period [with the UFC]. If we can find common ground, we can work together, and if we can't, then we're going to depart. I want to fight in the UFC. They have the best guys, but it has to be at the right terms. So, we're just going to have to wait and see.

LINK

Post #1   8/16/11 3:21:17PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
The UFC isnt going to let him fight in K-1 or DREAM anymore. He's going to have to give that stuff up. Maybe thats what hes trying to get out of them

Post #2   8/16/11 3:28:01PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,205-723
Chips:
What a shame that he knows JDS and Cain are fighting...

Dirty Blue

Post #3   8/16/11 3:42:42PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

What a shame that he knows JDS and Cain are fighting...

...... and then?

Post #4   8/16/11 4:03:49PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Chips:
Really? He's gonna have to get in line. His last 2 Strikeforce performances don't scream "give him a title shot now". He beat up Rogers, a guy that was coming off a lose, and Werdum, a fight that was as embarrassing for me as it was for him. He's a great talent but I think he needs a few fights before they give him a title fight.

Last edited 8/16/11 4:58PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   8/16/11 4:56:04PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I say give him brock or Carwin. If he can dominate either guy than give him a shot at the title.

Post #6   8/16/11 5:21:51PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I say give him brock or Carwin. If he can dominate either guy than give him a shot at the title.

I like that, but instead of a title shot after he wins (if he does) make him fight the loser between Cain v dos santos. Then we will know he is on their level

Post #7   8/16/11 5:40:24PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I personally think he would waste either jds or cain

Post #8   8/16/11 5:56:14PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by mrsmiley

I like that, but instead of a title shot after he wins (if he does) make him fight the loser between Cain v dos santos. Then we will know he is on their level

Yeah that probably would be a better route.
I'm thinking as long as he's in high profile fights straight out of the box, he'll be a big draw in the UFC. If he can't beat Carwin or Brock perhaps give him Mir or even Konga?

Post #9   8/16/11 5:57:20PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

I personally think he would waste either jds or cain

With all his experince it's not out of the realm of possibility considering he's at his peak. I'm not even sure if JDS and Cain's record combined equal Ubereems. He's got the potential to be the UFC champion but I think what makes people nervous is the lack of opposistion he's fought within MMA's HW division.
Personally I think he could take JDS,but i'm not quiet sure about Cain.
Cain could wear him out with numerous TD attempts but if Alistair landed a knee in the process the tides would turn violently.

Post #10   8/16/11 6:01:34PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
"Wants an Immediate UFC Title Shot"

hahahahaha

yeah.

right.

Post #11   8/16/11 6:42:36PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Very smart move by Overeem. If I was Overeem, I would only come to the ufc if and only if I am granted an immediate title shot.

IMO, Overeem is too slow for Cain and Junior and will most likely be picked apart by those two fighters. I think Overeem knows this as well and does not want to jeopardize his opportunity of a title shot by taking a warm up fight or a number one contender fight.

Here is what I believe Overeem wants to do: He wants an immediate title shot. He wins, he makes money>>>he stays. He loses but makes money and goes back to K-1happily. If this is indeed Overeem's plan, I like it - smart and calculating.

I would do the same.

Post #12   8/16/11 6:56:03PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'm a believer in Overeem but I think Overeem will have setbacks just like the other Heavyweights.

Post #13   8/16/11 8:49:15PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Anyone that wants an Av bet if the JDS vs Overeem fight happens let me know! I'll take Alistair without a moments hesitation!
JDS is a good striker in the UFC's HW division, Alistair is a good striker where ever you put him.
JDS would get murdered in K1 or any of the other high level striking events, Overeem has proven he can hang with the elite of the striking world time an time again.
Cain is a completely different animal an I can see him beating Alistair but JDS would get picked apart and embarrassed before getting finished!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #14   8/16/11 10:19:43PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Very smart move by Overeem. If I was Overeem, I would only come to the ufc if and only if I am granted an immediate title shot.

IMO, Overeem is too slow for Cain and Junior and will most likely be picked apart by those two fighters. I think Overeem knows this as well and does not want to jeopardize his opportunity of a title shot by taking a warm up fight or a number one contender fight.

Here is what I believe Overeem wants to do: He wants an immediate title shot. He wins, he makes money>>>he stays. He loses but makes money and goes back to K-1happily. If this is indeed Overeem's plan, I like it - smart and calculating.

I would do the same.

agreed but highly doubt UFC lets him go after one loss, if he is in the UFC then he is there till the contracts up with no K- or dream, I think if they do get him an immediate title shot he will stay with UFC. Personally im a fan I think he would win the title. Im sure K-1 would be pissed since he is the defending WGP champ

Post #15   8/16/11 10:26:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2