Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

After latest win, re-energized Jens Pulver has no plans for slowing down

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jens Pulver said he's found a winning recipe for success in MMA. Or more accurately, one for finding success again.

The former UFC champ got back on the winning track this past Saturday with a second-round KO victory over WEC vet Coty Wheeler (14-4), and today, he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) about the ingredients that have gone into his reinvention.

Mostly, it's about limiting his appetites between fights.

"People want to know the biggest thing that makes a difference? I'm not going to go out after this fight and get up to 195 pounds, 20 percent body fat, sit for three months, and then go, 'Oh, it's fight time again?' Then spend my entire camp trying to get in shape," Pulver (25-15-1) said of his pay-per-view win at "MMA Fight Pit: Genesis." "That's how I rolled for the last four years.

"Now, I'm 156 this morning with six percent body fat, and I'm training this afternoon."

There, he'll don a jiu-jitsu gi and work with trainer and fighter Jeff Curran, with whom he took residence with this past November. The gym boasts a stable of impressive newcomers and veterans alike, but Pulver gave special attention to Curran's cousin, Pat Curran, who is scheduled to meet Marlon Sandro in the finals of the Bellator "Summer Series" bantamweight tournament on Saturday.

"I think Pat Curran, he definitely leads the way," Pulver said. "That's a powerful kid. He's leading the charge, dominating people in Bellator. It's hard not to follow."

Pulver has struggled to overcome mental blocks in 12 years of competition, and in recent years, he has met a rising tide of critics who say he should hang up his four-ounce gloves. As for now, he's ignoring them. The only appetite he's looking to feed is new information gleaned from the gym...

Full Story

Post #1   8/15/11 7:42:24PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He's gonna have to string together a few more wins before I start picking him to win!

Post #2   8/16/11 1:38:54AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
He's been pretty decent lately. I think he has 3 of his last 4. I think if he can have a 3 or 4 fight win streak I might start to pay more attention.

Post #3   8/16/11 1:45:26PM   

Dtime_NBT

MMA Regular

Dtime_NBT Avatar

Career:968-670
Chips:
I like the guy but he is still losing to mediocre competition, and until he can prove his can beat a mid level fighter again I could care less.

Post #4   8/18/11 5:06:07PM   

armbar66j7

Standup Guy

armbar66j7 Avatar

Career:217-141
Camp: The Underdogs
Chips:

Posted by Dtime_NBT

I like the guy but he is still losing to mediocre competition, and until he can prove his can beat a mid level fighter again I could care less.

he got knocked out by leonard garcia, i dont even acknowledge pulvers exsistence right now haha

Post #5   10/6/11 8:07:58PM