Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Hardy in no hurry to return to UFC, will consider all options in and out of the cage

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
In the main event of Sunday's UFC on Versus 5 card, British slugger Dan Hardy finally got the fight for which he had long pined.

And yet somehow, even though fellow scrapper Chris Lytle stood in front of him for a little more than 14 minutes, Hardy still came up short.

UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta put an end to all speculation by tweeting post-fight that Hardy will get at least one more fight in the octagon. But "The Outlaw" isn't quite sure when he'll take the UFC co-owner up on the offer.

LINK

Post #1   8/15/11 2:22:39PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Chips:
"I think if they are going to give me one more fight, then I really need to take some time and come back reinvented, if you like. ... There are a lot of things I can do. But right now, I need space from competing, and I need space in the gym getting beaten up by much better guys in every area. I'll either improve or find another way. If I've got one more fight, then I'll take one more fight. But maybe it won't be for a little while."

This is exactly what he needs to do. He's been giving one last chance, and he needs to make the most of it and not waste it. Take some time off, train in all weak areas, and come back new and improved and hopefully earn some wins.

At the same time, though, I feel that Hardy might be breaking down mentally. When he first burst on the UFC scene, he was fully confident in his abilities and that's what made his persona so enjoyable. Now that he's losing left and right, it seems as if his confidence is breaking down, and I can't blame him. He's an exciting fighter, and even though his takedowns upset me last night, I hope he can make a comeback.

Post #2   8/15/11 2:27:12PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,041-1,091
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

"I think if they are going to give me one more fight, then I really need to take some time and come back reinvented, if you like. ... There are a lot of things I can do. But right now, I need space from competing, and I need space in the gym getting beaten up by much better guys in every area. I'll either improve or find another way. If I've got one more fight, then I'll take one more fight. But maybe it won't be for a little while."

This is exactly what he needs to do. He's been giving one last chance, and he needs to make the most of it and not waste it. Take some time off, train in all weak areas, and come back new and improved and hopefully earn some wins.

At the same time, though, I feel that Hardy might be breaking down mentally. When he first burst on the UFC scene, he was fully confident in his abilities and that's what made his persona so enjoyable. Now that he's losing left and right, it seems as if his confidence is breaking down, and I can't blame him. He's an exciting fighter, and even though his takedowns upset me last night, I hope he can make a comeback.

I agree with the 2nd part completely. He once seemed like a man you couldn't keep down because of his confidence. This doesn't sound like the same man anymore.

Post #3   8/15/11 2:52:23PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
It sucks, but he has fought some of the best fighters recently and lost, mostly due to his grappling. I think Hardy should train with Jackson, or some other good team, that may help. he has power and is a good striker, he should not give up. I wonder why he chose Big Country as a trainer, that sounds random considering Big Country trains himself?

Matt Brown vs Hardy NEXT?

Last edited 8/15/11 3:15PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   8/15/11 3:14:29PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Chips:
I would like him to train with xtreme couture. He needs help with his wrestling and strategy. Why not train with the best

Post #5   8/15/11 4:31:01PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Or he's more humbled now.

Post #6   8/15/11 5:08:57PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,413-1,434
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Hardy fan or not, there have been far better fighters than him who haven't been given five chances. My opinion is that he needs to be dropped, with all the talent it's not a good idea to keep him when some hungry guy could take his place on the roster.

Post #7   8/15/11 6:07:07PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,324-1,566
Chips:
Hardy obviously needs wrestling/grappling training but I also feel his stand up game needs work too. He isn't really all that smooth, quick or powerful. His technique is lacking too. Who has he knocked out? The only semi big name he has KOed has been Rory Markham....and that isn't really too tough to do actually. Hardy is touted as this KO artist when in actuality he has only KOed a few no names, most of them were way in the past. His first 4 fights in the UFC were against a bunch of guys who are either mid tier or guys who were on their way down the ladder. Gono, Markham, Davis and Swick. Look what happened when he faced guys at the top. GSP, Condit and Llytle. For Pete's sake Anythony Johnson beat him. I think Hardy was hyped way too much. I think they threw him to GSP way too fast. He needed a few more fights against mid tier guys. The guy needs to seriously up his game though....or find something else to do.

Post #8   8/15/11 11:20:24PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,250-1,387
Camp: Bum Chin Black Belts
Chips:
To be honest I think they are giving him one more shot because his fan base is bigger than average for a UK guy.

Post #9   8/16/11 6:59:46AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Hardy obviously needs wrestling/grappling training but I also feel his stand up game needs work too. He isn't really all that smooth, quick or powerful. His technique is lacking too. Who has he knocked out? The only semi big name he has KOed has been Rory Markham....and that isn't really too tough to do actually. Hardy is touted as this KO artist when in actuality he has only KOed a few no names, most of them were way in the past. His first 4 fights in the UFC were against a bunch of guys who are either mid tier or guys who were on their way down the ladder. Gono, Markham, Davis and Swick. Look what happened when he faced guys at the top. GSP, Condit and Llytle. For Pete's sake Anythony Johnson beat him. I think Hardy was hyped way too much. I think they threw him to GSP way too fast. He needed a few more fights against mid tier guys. The guy needs to seriously up his game though....or find something else to do.

agree on everything u said

Post #10   8/16/11 8:59:39AM   

usadingo

Learning to Sprawl

Career:40-42
Chips:
I think Hardy is taking a little time off to try and think of a way to make people think he's intimidating.
"Hmm... I have the bandana, mowhawk, died my hair, tattoos... What else...?"

Post #11   8/17/11 8:31:12PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by usadingo

I think Hardy is taking a little time off to try and think of a way to make people think he's intimidating.
"Hmm... I have the bandana, mowhawk, died my hair, tattoos... What else...?"

Chinese Throwing Stars. Definitely Chinese Throwing Stars.

Post #12   8/17/11 9:47:42PM