Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

If victorious, UFC on Versus 5's Ben Henderson plans GSP-like post-fight speech

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
MILWAUKEE – Former WEC lightweight champion Ben Henderson proved naysayers wrong when he successfully made his UFC debut in April.

Henderson outclassed Mark Bocek en route to a decision victory and proved WEC talent is on par with the UFC's. Henderson's next foe is tough veteran Jim Miller, who has only seen defeat once in his UFC career.

And if victorious in the UFC on Versus 5 headliner, Henderson has a Georges St-Pierre-inspired speech planned.

LINK

Post #1   8/13/11 1:37:28PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:
A win over Miller would be VERY impressive, but it wouldn't be enough for a title shot in my opinion.

Post #2   8/13/11 1:40:17PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

A win over Miller would be VERY impressive, but it wouldn't be enough for a title shot in my opinion.

Agreed. 2-0 in the ufc shouldn't ever get you a title shot anymore. If he wins though, I'd love to see him fight Guida.

Post #3   8/13/11 1:54:16PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by FastKnockout

Agreed. 2-0 in the ufc shouldn't ever get you a title shot anymore. If he wins though, I'd love to see him fight Guida.

Guida vs Henderson would be fireworks. That would be a knockdown dragout fight. Great for us watching.

The days of the fighters jumping right into a title fight, unfortunately, are still here. Vitor came back to the ufc and after one victory had a shot at Anderson. Jake shields the same thing. I understand why the ufc does it. Both those guys are worthy, as is Henderson, but it kinda does a disservice to the guys already in the ufc that have worked their way up.

Last edited 8/13/11 2:34PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   8/13/11 2:33:59PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
I wouldn't rule it out, and Miller is pretty much the #1 contender. I don't see why not since he is a former WEC champion, although a Guida fight would be epic, but besides Miller nobody else sticks out as over deserving of one and if Henderson wins it makes it worse.

Post #5   8/13/11 3:47:39PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Please, not another "can I get an amen" speech

Post #6   8/13/11 5:39:54PM   

TheBlackChip

MMA Regular

TheBlackChip Avatar

Career:775-367
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Are you serious bro? You must not being paying attention.

Post #7   8/13/11 5:41:16PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by TheBlackChip

Posted by FastKnockout

Pretty sure he's paying attention. This is not a knock on Miller. Excuse me for speaking for you FastKnockout, but I would assume he means:

"Even though Miller is the #1 Contender, Henderson hasn't had enough wins (or even fights) in the UFC that one big win should earn him a shot."

Post #8   8/13/11 7:41:06PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by TheBlackChip

Posted by FastKnockout

Pretty sure he's paying attention. This is not a knock on Miller. Excuse me for speaking for you FastKnockout, but I would assume he means:

"Even though Miller is the #1 Contender, Henderson hasn't had enough wins (or even fights) in the UFC that one big win should earn him a shot."

Thank you, bjj. That's exactly what I meant.

Post #9   8/14/11 1:40:48AM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by FastKnockout

Guida vs Henderson would be fireworks. That would be a knockdown dragout fight. Great for us watching.

The days of the fighters jumping right into a title fight, unfortunately, are still here. Vitor came back to the ufc and after one victory had a shot at Anderson. Jake shields the same thing. I understand why the ufc does it. Both those guys are worthy, as is Henderson, but it kinda does a disservice to the guys already in the ufc that have worked their way up.

Like Diaz getting GSP when Jon Fitch is clearly more deserving?

Post #10   8/14/11 2:11:17PM