Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 133 Results: UFC's Matt Hamill Reportedly Says He Will Retire

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion.

I don't feel like deafness is such a huge obstacle to overcome, especially if you've been deaf since birth and you work in the field of athletics. I'm sure it presents challenges in day to day life, but I'm also sure that when you've read lips for your whole life it becomes a completely natural form of communication that you don't think twice about. People may argue that he can't hear his corner during fights, but I would say that most fighters probably can't hear their corner in a packed arena for most of the fight, and that the purpose of practicing for 3 months leading up to a single fight is so that you know what to do in any given situation ahead of time and you don't need someone to tell you what to do as it is happening, you just react.

Don't get me wrong, Hamill is an incredibly impressive athlete and has accomplished amazing things, I just don't hold him to a lower standard than anyone else. I think his accomplishments are impressive for a person, not "impressive for/because of his deafness" or that being deaf makes what he did inspirational or more impressive than if someone else were to do it. I actually think that it's sort of condescending and implies that people with disabilities shouldn't be able to accomplish anything spectacular.

Just my opinion. I'm sure it won't be popular lol.

I think I get what you're saying, Aether. I don't think anyone is trying to highlight him and say, " Look at what this deaf person did", but rather "Look at what this person did".

Everything in life is relative. Everyone has struggles in life that are different, but in my opinion equally great. Everyone has something to overcome or adapt to. Matt had to adapt to deafness.

For him, that's his life. Being unable to hear is normal. I've heard, as I am sure many of you have, that some people who lack one sense, have others that are heightened. How accurate that really is, I don't know. But when I first saw Matt on TUF 3, I thought of that and said, "if that's true, he could have an advantage in the cage".

I think retiring with an Octagon record of 8-4 is impressive for anybody. I believe Matt Hamill had a longer win streak at 5 than Randy Couture had in his whole career. To me, that is impressive for anyone, regardless of their background or physical condition.

Last edited 8/8/11 11:20PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: quote fix!

Post #16   8/8/11 11:18:40PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,947-1,203
Chips:
good person, but was never overly impressed with his skills...never would have been a champ imo...always seemd too slow and not crisp

Post #17   8/9/11 9:53:52AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
reading that blurb from the original article kinda pissed me off with its ignorance.

anywho good luck to Matt in his future endeavors. i wasnt really a fan of the guy but he never fought boring....and he almost choked out my buddy in a bar in Montreal during a picture obviously he was hammered (no pun intended)

Last edited 8/9/11 10:41AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #18   8/9/11 10:40:30AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I don't feel like deafness is such a huge obstacle to overcome, especially if you've been deaf since birth and you work in the field of athletics. I'm sure it presents challenges in day to day life, but I'm also sure that when you've read lips for your whole life it becomes a completely natural form of communication that you don't think twice about. People may argue that he can't hear his corner during fights, but I would say that most fighters probably can't hear their corner in a packed arena for most of the fight, and that the purpose of practicing for 3 months leading up to a single fight is so that you know what to do in any given situation ahead of time and you don't need someone to tell you what to do as it is happening, you just react.

Don't get me wrong, Hamill is an incredibly impressive athlete and has accomplished amazing things, I just don't hold him to a lower standard than anyone else. I think his accomplishments are impressive for a person, not "impressive for/because of his deafness" or that being deaf makes what he did inspirational or more impressive than if someone else were to do it. I actually think that it's sort of condescending and implies that people with disabilities shouldn't be able to accomplish anything spectacular.

Not having communications skills can be a real obstacle. No verbal motivation during those tough wrestling matches, and a wisdom with having to mak all the decisions yourself.

Even a tiny obstacle is huge in an elite game like high level wrestling and MMA

Post #19   8/9/11 1:18:00PM   

suckafoo

Learning to Sprawl

Career:342-297
Chips:

Deafness is not an obstacle....if all your training partners and everything around you is adapted to you...Training for a professional sport is not. MMA also isn't being a solitary sport like running. You need to work with a variety of people to sharpen a variety of skills.He had a camp that was adapted to him but his Deafness possibly prevented him from bringing in other fighters or going to other camps because the communication and sensory issues.

Look during the Rampage fight when they were working on his cut and they were trying to change up the game plan...he couldn't read the lips of his cornerman. Statistics say that the average person will have 30% accuracy while lip reading. And the best lip readers in the world aren't deaf people but hearing people with a large vocabulary. Most deaf do not know what they are missing so they think they are getting the message and aren't.

I am Sign Language Interpreter and have worked with the Deaf at the high school level and can say first hand that even with an interpreter who is knowledgeable with the language and the sport still puts the athlete at a disadvantage. It is the same when I have played sports and stuff when I am with my Deaf friends and I am the only hearing guy...I am at a disadvantage even though I am fluent in Sign Language. I am in their world playing under their rules.

I respect you for not baby-ing him or making him less of a man with your opinion and while I do not know Matt personally we do have quite a few mutual friends and I bet he too would respect your opinion too.

Posted by Aether

Post #20   8/9/11 2:06:46PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
Much props to the man who acted like a class act, even though he won that fight with bisping and the count still acted like a tool.

Its a different era out there nowadays and the kids of mma are soon gonna get rid of all the guys we come to love and know.

Hang on sloopy!

Post #21   8/9/11 2:54:27PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
Why doesn't someone mention in a post about how he was robbed against Bisping That's one thing I won't miss when he is gone.

Post #22   8/9/11 3:26:57PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

I'll never forget that moment Jones left a deaf man bleeding out of his eyes leaving him blind.

Nonetheless, Matt Hamill was a hell of a fighter. If he uses his wresting in an organisation such as BAMMA or DREAM he'd take a title easy and be a very good opponent for all challengers, but retiring in the UFC is one heck of a way to leave. Smart man.

Depends what weight class. I don't think he would take the title easily from Kong Watson.

Post #23   8/9/11 3:28:47PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2