Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 133 Results: UFC's Matt Hamill Reportedly Says He Will Retire

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Matt Hamill was brutalized in the second round of his fight with Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 133. Following the TKO loss it looks like Hamill will be retiring from the sport of mixed martial arts. Hamill lost his last two fights, in addition to the Gustafsson loss he dropped a decision to Quinton Jackson at UFC 130.

Article

Post #1   8/8/11 2:24:41PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Chips:
Matt has been one of my favorite fighters since I saw him on TUF 3. He is the unofficial winner of that season in my book, as well as the unofficial winner of his fight with Bisping.

His story is one that makes it hard not to root for him. A deaf man overcoming adversity in all aspects of life, going on to compete in some of the highest level athletic competition in the world. I had very high hopes for Hamill.

Having said that, he steps away with an 8-4 UFC record, which is very respectable in my book. Trade the win over Jones that should have been a loss with the loss over Bisping that should have been a win, and he's still 8-4

He had a devestating highlight reel KO over Mark Munoz that sent the Filipino wrecking machine to Middleweight. He constantly inspired people inside and outside the Octagon. I hope Matt "The Hammer" Hamill finds great success in life, and especially if he decides to return to the UFC.

Last edited 8/8/11 2:34PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: grammar

Post #2   8/8/11 2:33:22PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I feel for him, i was never a Matt Hamill fan at all... but i respect the guy so much for what he has done to get where he is in this sport. Unfortunately for him, i really don't see him getting better at all, his striking has always been sluggish, and it actually seems like his grappling as gotten much worse.

He just isn't evolving... It's a shame that he's retiring, though.

Post #3   8/8/11 2:36:26PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Never been a big fan, not too sad to see him leave. Good luck to him in his future life.

Post #4   8/8/11 2:36:48PM   

calitrees

MMA Regular

calitrees Avatar

Career:1,358-798
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Hammil is a good fighter and a great person. He knows hes never going to make it to the top so he is stepping down. Smart move in my opinion. Ive always liked Matt Hammil, even when i was going for his opponent sometimes. I have much respect for the guy for puttin a wooping on bisping even though he got robbed. A true role model of the sport i wish matt hammill the best.

Post #5   8/8/11 2:38:19PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:
I wish him luck, good person who overcame a lot. Always seemed a little slow in his fights. But he's a gamer at heart, and I admire him for that

Post #6   8/8/11 2:53:34PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
He will go down as one of the only people to beat Jones when its all said and done.......

Post #7   8/8/11 2:55:25PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Chips:
I'll never forget that moment Jones left a deaf man bleeding out of his eyes leaving him blind.

Nonetheless, Matt Hamill was a hell of a fighter. If he uses his wresting in an organisation such as BAMMA or DREAM he'd take a title easy and be a very good opponent for all challengers, but retiring in the UFC is one heck of a way to leave. Smart man.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #8   8/8/11 3:00:00PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
My favorite Hamill moment was the loss to Bisping. I felt like he won the fight, that he controlled the cage and landed more significant shots while blocking pretty much everything Bisping threw. He also chose to rely on his hands as opposed to his wrestling, looking great in the process.

He was aggressive, he was effective, he was robbed (I think so, anyway) and he was magnanimous after the fact.

Second favorite moment would be sending Mark Munoz to middleweight with a head kick.

He's a good guy and a hell of a story, but it might just be his time. No shame in that.

Last edited 8/8/11 3:46PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   8/8/11 3:46:06PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
With the hand he was dealt he has achieved so much
I wish him luck!! Glad I saw him fight four times live in the ufc

Post #10   8/8/11 4:00:54PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Chips:
Me and a friend of mine were discussing this after the Rampage fight. Hamill just looked like his head wasn't in it, and he just wanted to get it over with. Same with Saturday night. It's like he lost his will to fight. I'll miss the guy. I feel connected to him somehow, as if I was there with him through all the struggles he's had as a mixed martial artist. He's one of the few fighters that I've actually NEVER rooted against, even against guys like Franklin and Rampage.

Thanks for the entertainment, Matt. You were an inspiration to a lot of us.

Post #11   8/8/11 5:25:37PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
His story is a one in a million. To have the drive to tarin MMA professionaly would be a bear in its self. But to do it without being able to hear????? Thats amazing. Glad to see he is leaving on his terms anyways. He is young maybe he'll take a break and kcome back at it. I wonder if he could be a wrestling coach at the pro level?

Post #12   8/8/11 7:26:24PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

I wonder if he could be a wrestling coach at the pro level?

The Warrior says YES!

Post #13   8/8/11 7:30:34PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,694-1,543
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Me and a friend of mine were discussing this after the Rampage fight. Hamill just looked like his head wasn't in it, and he just wanted to get it over with. Same with Saturday night. It's like he lost his will to fight. I'll miss the guy. I feel connected to him somehow, as if I was there with him through all the struggles he's had as a mixed martial artist. He's one of the few fighters that I've actually NEVER rooted against, even against guys like Franklin and Rampage.

Thanks for the entertainment, Matt. You were an inspiration to a lot of us.

I've gotta spread the love but well said man. I've always been a sucker for Hamill's story.

Post #14   8/8/11 7:49:42PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion.

I don't feel like deafness is such a huge obstacle to overcome, especially if you've been deaf since birth and you work in the field of athletics. I'm sure it presents challenges in day to day life, but I'm also sure that when you've read lips for your whole life it becomes a completely natural form of communication that you don't think twice about. People may argue that he can't hear his corner during fights, but I would say that most fighters probably can't hear their corner in a packed arena for most of the fight, and that the purpose of practicing for 3 months leading up to a single fight is so that you know what to do in any given situation ahead of time and you don't need someone to tell you what to do as it is happening, you just react.

Don't get me wrong, Hamill is an incredibly impressive athlete and has accomplished amazing things, I just don't hold him to a lower standard than anyone else. I think his accomplishments are impressive for a person, not "impressive for/because of his deafness" or that being deaf makes what he did inspirational or more impressive than if someone else were to do it. I actually think that it's sort of condescending and implies that people with disabilities shouldn't be able to accomplish anything spectacular.

Just my opinion. I'm sure it won't be popular lol.

Post #15   8/8/11 8:17:17PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2