Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Could Dan Henderson be on his way back to the UFC? "Fatso" needs to talk to "Ugly"

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:6,401-3,685
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
By now, it's no secret that Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson (28-8 MMA, 3-1 SF) is currently a free agent.

And while the sport's newest cliché (other than "stripping down to his Hallmans"), "business as usual," remains the guiding principle behind Strikeforce's business plan, UFC president Dana White admits there's a chance Henderson could soon make the leap back into the octagon.

It all depends on what happens when "Fatso" talks to "Ugly."

"Dan Henderson is in the mix," White told a small group of reporters following Saturday night's UFC 133 event. "Me and old ugly got to get together and talk and figure stuff out first.

"I texted him. I said, 'Hey, ugly. You ready to talk?' He said, 'Whenever you're ready fatso.'"

LINK

Post #1   8/7/11 1:33:00PM   

Patchedup15

MMA Regular

Patchedup15 Avatar

Career:538-393
Chips:
haha good to see they're having fun.. hopefully negotiations go well.. Machida v Henderson at LHW??

Post #2   8/7/11 3:48:00PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,453
Chips:
Henderson's gonna want a title unification fight. Although a fight with Machida would be nice, i would think a fight against Rashad would make more sense. Set that fight up as winner gets next shot at the 205 crown

Post #3   8/7/11 7:06:37PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,580-858
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Henderson's gonna want a title unification fight. Although a fight with Machida would be nice, i would think a fight against Rashad would make more sense. Set that fight up as winner gets next shot at the 205 crown

This would make perfect sense except for the fact that Strikeforce is still a living and breathing MMA promotion. So at the present time there just ins't a compelling reason to unify the titles. It's pretty obvious that Zuffa are expediting the process of eliminating any and all top name fighters from Strikeforce and that the pending merger can't be more than a year to 18 months away.

If they can get the merger to happen inside of 12 months it's probably best to put Hendo on ice and push for a unification bout at that time. If the merger is too far down the road for Hendo's comfort he can still come over and fight the champ; but to market it as a unification bout at that point would be a tad foolish. It would make more sense at that point for Dan to simply vacate the Strikeforce belt and sign a new UFC contract.

I think the best course of action would be to ice Hendo and expedite the merger (close the promotion as soon as the Showtime deal expires) and promote a title unification fight at that time. That probably the best way to drum up some heat for Hendo's return.

Post #4   8/7/11 7:39:57PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:424-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
It is good they can call each other names. It lets me know there was nothing personal about Henderson's release from the ufc.

Post #5   8/7/11 8:26:32PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:952-645
Camp: K-1 Level Posters
Chips:
Although I doubt he will get it, Dan deserves an immediate title shot.

Post #6   8/7/11 9:06:44PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
i honestly want him to rematch with Anderson than fight for the LHW title...as long as Silva still holds the belt

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   8/7/11 11:37:45PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

i honestly want him to rematch with Anderson than fight for the LHW title...as long as Silva still holds the belt

Or let them fight at LHW cause it seems like hendo does not wanna go to MW anymore, may not be for the title but still gets another crack at anderson

Post #8   8/8/11 9:56:05AM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,180-1,718
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'd love to see Strikeforce stick around as a feeder org. It only makes sense to me. Sign younger guys, give them a step up in competition and let them work their way to the UFC. Pretty much the minor leagues of the UFC...send struggling guys down to Strikeforce to rack up a few wins. This will, in turn, give the up-and-comers some "big names" to fight to help pad their own resume.

Anyways...all of that has been said in the past. I/we know it won't happen that way but it makes sense to me.

Post #9   8/8/11 10:01:22AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I'd love to see Strikeforce stick around as a feeder org. It only makes sense to me. Sign younger guys, give them a step up in competition and let them work their way to the UFC. Pretty much the minor leagues of the UFC...send struggling guys down to Strikeforce to rack up a few wins. This will, in turn, give the up-and-comers some "big names" to fight to help pad their own resume.

Anyways...all of that has been said in the past. I/we know it won't happen that way but it makes sense to me.

It has always been a fun org, and even if not a feeder totally, it could make money for zuffa using fighters that will never be good enough to break into the top 5 like Jardine, Lawler, Babalu, Serra, type of fighters.

Exciting matchups, money gets made, and the fighters dropped from the UFC could go to be fed to up and comers in strikeforce.

It makes more sense that they keep it alive because then there will be no competitor outside zuffa if they keep 1 and 2 alive.

Post #10   8/8/11 12:13:40PM   

Patchedup15

MMA Regular

Patchedup15 Avatar

Career:538-393
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by prophecy033

This would make perfect sense except for the fact that Strikeforce is still a living and breathing MMA promotion. So at the present time there just ins't a compelling reason to unify the titles. It's pretty obvious that Zuffa are expediting the process of eliminating any and all top name fighters from Strikeforce and that the pending merger can't be more than a year to 18 months away.

If they can get the merger to happen inside of 12 months it's probably best to put Hendo on ice and push for a unification bout at that time. If the merger is too far down the road for Hendo's comfort he can still come over and fight the champ; but to market it as a unification bout at that point would be a tad foolish. It would make more sense at that point for Dan to simply vacate the Strikeforce belt and sign a new UFC contract.

I think the best course of action would be to ice Hendo and expedite the merger (close the promotion as soon as the Showtime deal expires) and promote a title unification fight at that time. That probably the best way to drum up some heat for Hendo's return.

IT ISN"T A UNIFICATION.. he is a free agent and can vacate title

Post #11   8/9/11 8:06:50PM