Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Johnny (Johny?) Hendricks

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I thought dude looked pretty damn good last night. Pierce is another big, strong wrestler, and his center of gravity was giving Hendricks a tough time. Having said that, I would say overall Hendricks won that one. His striking was excellent, much better than I recall it being before.

Hendricks also showed a great chin! Pierce hit him with a wicked uppercut/right combination that would have slept probably anyone else. (maybe not Rick Story, speaking of chins...) Is it the beard? Superior genetics? I'm not sure. But I liked what I saw last night, and I like Hendricks' attitude. He seems very humble, and he was very critical of his own performance last night.

I can't wait to see him fight again.

Last edited 8/7/11 12:23PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: stupid grammar
2 total post edits

Post #1   8/7/11 12:22:11PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Both guys were throwing hard, but neither seemed to get hurt really.

Post #2   8/7/11 1:04:05PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:

This is true. Both guys deserve a lot of credit for taking some big shots and having great chins. Pierce definitely looked more lumped up after the bout, but both guys got hit hard. Both definitely have great careers ahead of them.

Post #3   8/7/11 1:59:41PM   

calitrees

MMA Regular

calitrees Avatar

Career:1,487-871
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i thought it was a really good fight Hendricks was volume punching and mixing it up, and peirce was throwing more power punches. If the power puncher doesnt finish the volume puncher usually wins the decision. Was going for pierce and thought it was very close. I was just happy to see it was a split decision because it was so close. Im happy with the judging last night as a whole and thought they called it pretty good.

Post #4   8/7/11 2:04:46PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Curious to see who he fights next
It was a good fight. Maybe he will face matt brown next
Or kim

Post #5   8/7/11 2:08:15PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Pierce won that fight and the guys from Sherdog play by play agree...easy won the second was easily the more aggressive in the third and got the TD

Post #6   8/7/11 3:07:13PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
I think pierce won the fight aswell.
hendricks hasnt impressed me at all.

Last edited 8/7/11 3:51PM server time by beer
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   8/7/11 3:50:36PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Pierce won that fight and the guys from Sherdog play by play agree...easy won the second was easily the more aggressive in the third and got the TD

Sherdog gave it to Pierce (well, 2 of 3 analysts did anyway), while Weekly and Junkie gave it to Hendricks. To say that any round was "easily" in favor of one or the other wouldn't be doing the fight justice. I can accept the decision going either way, but to insinuate a robbery is silly.

Post #8   8/7/11 4:21:28PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:932-547
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000
I can accept the decision going either way, but to insinuate a robbery is silly.

Agreed.

On the fight picks I picked Pierce I also bet Pierce on bodog (at +130) because I wasnt sure if Hendricks was just going to be content to just throw leather and not really mix it up.
He was getting muscled in the clinch against Rick Story, and against Charlie Brenneman (in that 1st round) so I thought Pierce could make it a close quarter clinch heavy fight and win the decision.

It was a tough, hard nosed fight for them and was happy to see Hendricks mix it up rather than to prove that he has been working on his striking and just be content to throw leather.

Good, close battle.. ok with the decision.. I had real money riding on Pierce so I was hoping he was going to get the nod because it was a close fight.. but ok with the decision definitely not a ROBBERY (which is a term thrown too loosely IMO). Just a back and forth scrap.

Post #9   8/7/11 4:55:17PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kingsmasher

Sherdog gave it to Pierce (well, 2 of 3 analysts did anyway), while Weekly and Junkie gave it to Hendricks. To say that any round was "easily" in favor of one or the other wouldn't be doing the fight justice. I can accept the decision going either way, but to insinuate a robbery is silly.

Who said it was a robbery? I said Peirce won I didnt say he crushed Hendricks and got robbed...Im aware it was close but seriously for anyone to say Peirce did not win the second is crazy...And did he not push the pace in the thirs and get a takedown...

I think it was just a case where he looked beaten by his face...and hendricks did not...It was close and I picked Hendricks....but he did not win the fight IMO...

nuff said

Post #10   8/8/11 11:04:31AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:
I think I remember MMA Mania and Bloody Elbow scoring the fight for Pierce. But as I watch that fight, I think the judges call was correct. Here's how I saw the fight. This is my analysis of the fight as a whole based on what I recall:

Pierce was trying to walk down Hendricks, and Hendricks made him pay. He tagged Pierce with a good number more strikes than he got hit with. And Hendricks had success with knees to the body and head, leg kicks, elbows, punches, you name it. He even threw in a couple head kick attempts, as did Pierce. Hendricks is not a volume striker. He certainly had a greater volume of strikes though. Hendricks was not pitter-pattering, in my estimation.

Pierce's success was in clinch striking, working short elbows and uppercuts. Granted, Pierce threw some kicks in that fight, but really not many. To me, Pierce was stalking, and being outstruck doing it, and not really having success in bullying his opponent around the cage. He only got one takedown....

That is just a hard fight to judge or pick the winner. When the fight was first made, I had Pierce picked to win. I had it picked for FOTN, and I think it probably should have gotten it over Tito-Rashad.

Edit: Just to clarify, I do think that fight was close enough to be scored for either fighter, or a draw. Those two are ******* beasts, and I am sure we all debated for some time on who to pick. I know I did! Those guys are super hard matches for anyone.

Last edited 8/8/11 11:38AM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: clarification

Post #11   8/8/11 11:33:53AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kingsmasher

Who said it was a robbery? I said Peirce won I didnt say he crushed Hendricks and got robbed...Im aware it was close but seriously for anyone to say Peirce did not win the second is crazy...And did he not push the pace in the thirs and get a takedown...

I think it was just a case where he looked beaten by his face...and hendricks did not...It was close and I picked Hendricks....but he did not win the fight IMO...

nuff said

I never claimed that you "said" that it was a robbery. I said you "insinuated" it. Stating something as fact, with no room for deviation, would cause one to infer that.

Last edited 8/9/11 12:23AM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   8/9/11 12:22:37AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

but seriously for anyone to say Peirce did not win the second is crazy...

I think that's crazy.

Post #13   8/10/11 1:41:05AM