Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 133 results: After finishing Tito Ortiz, Rashad Evans wants to 'teach Jon Jones a lesson'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Rashad Evans finished Tito Ortiz -- once and for all -- in the main event last night (Aug. 6) of UFC 133 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and earned himself a light heavyweight title shot in the process.

And a ticket to Denver, Colorado, to challenge the winner of Jon Jones vs. Quinton Jackson at UFC 135 on Sept. 24.

Of course, while a win for Ortiz last night would have undoubtedly been good for business as the Huntington Beach hype train would have only built more and more steam, UFC President Dana White is surely seeing nothing but dollar signs at the possible 205-pound title match-ups.

Article

Post #1   8/7/11 10:35:24AM   

ShadowFighter

Learning to Sprawl

ShadowFighter Avatar

Career:48-40
Camp: Conquest Fight Club
Chips:
i think jon jones is a good fighter, but i think evans can beat him no doubt

Post #2   8/7/11 10:46:06AM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Career:857-609
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
Jon Jones is going to smash Rashad. If Rashad looks small next to Tito, he is going to look a whole weight class less then Jones.

Post #3   8/7/11 11:06:12AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by BelXavier420

Jon Jones is going to smash Rashad. If Rashad looks small next to Tito, he is going to look a whole weight class less then Jones.

I said essentially the same thing in the UFC forum

Post #4   8/7/11 11:24:23AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by BelXavier420

I would even say 2 weight classes to be honest. Rashad could make it down to 185 without a whole lot of trouble and Jones could easily be a heavyweight.

Even without the size difference, Jones is just a better fighter IMO and will roll Rashad pretty easily. I don't see anyone at 205 beating Jones anytime soon.

Post #5   8/7/11 12:04:29PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Jones wouldve beatdown the Rashad from Round 1 of the Tito rematch last night.

Post #6   8/7/11 12:06:15PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
If I did not know anything behind the scenes of Rashad and Jones, I would definitely pick Jones over Rashad without hesitation.

Let's take a closer look at the recent events surrounding Rashad and Jones:

1. Jones wins the championship
2. Rashad challenges the title
3. Jones pulls out of fight with Rashad for surgery or something
4. Rashad is now set to fight Davis
5. Jones is healthy suddenly and signs to fight Rampage(*chuckles*)

Under the circumstances surrounding the two fighters and with the rumors of Rashad beating Jones in practice, I am compelled to pick Rashad and hope Rashad knows something I do not.

Last edited 8/7/11 12:36PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   8/7/11 12:35:33PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

If I did not know anything behind the scenes of Rashad and Jones, I would definitely pick Jones over Rashad without hesitation.

Under the circumstances surrounding the two fighters and with the rumors of Rashad beating Jones in practice, I am compelled to pick Rashad and hope Rashad knows something I do not.

You'll be considerably more successful at picking fights if you base your decisions off of what you have seen fighters do first-hand rather than off of speculation and rumours floating around the internet. I'm sure there was a day in practice at some point where Rashad schooled Jones, it's going to happen when you practice together every day, but one story about a guy getting the better of someone in one practice session is a really bad way to pick fights. If you really think about it, the fact that we have heard about exactly one time where Rashad held Jones down implies that it was an incredibly rare occurrence, otherwise Rashad would say something like "I beat you sparring/wrestling all of the time" not "remember this one time that I beat you?"

Even if we assume that Jones' surgery story was an excuse to get out of the fight, there's no way we can reasonably assume that it's because he thinks Rashad will beat him. There are so many possible motivations. Maybe he just doesn't like Rashad and wanted to screw him out of his title shot, maybe he still sees Rashad as a mentor and doesn't want to fight him for that reason, who knows?

Based on what they've both done in the octagon, this is a real easy pick, I wouldn't over-complicate things so much, just my advice.

Post #8   8/7/11 1:02:35PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Just a guess but mine is Jon Jones wasnt going 100 percent in practice...And Rashad was...the reason for practice to is to be put in precarious positions and work on getting out of them....

JOn Jones would not be learning and evolving as a fighter had he owned Rashad all the time in practice...but I doubt Jones is gonna say to Rashad I let you get me in this or that...He just doesnt strike me like that...

Also Rashad said if Rampage doesnt evolve as a fighter he wont make it outta the first roiund with Jones...

I think Rashad is trying to convince himself and get in Jones head...After all he has a degree in psychology...

Jones by more destruction....

I wish Rashad would fight Machida again..

Post #9   8/7/11 3:32:43PM   

Patchedup15

MMA Regular

Patchedup15 Avatar

Career:514-380
Chips:
PLEASE LET JONES WIN.. no lucky punches by rampage

Post #10   8/7/11 3:58:16PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Well said gentlemen. I do not necessarily believe half the stuff I post anyway. I wanted to spark a thought and see how playground responded.

There may be truth to the circumstances I am referring to but yes, I agree Jones has shown to be the more destructive and better LHW fighter than Rashad. The guy has tentacles which could sting you from across the octagon.

Rashad's best bet is to keep dancing and lure in the giant squid and hopefully secure a take down. It was difficult for Rashad to touch Machida in the stand up and I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be to touch the body of a giant squid. Not only does Rashad has to worry about the tentacles wrapping around him, he has to avoid the stingers as well.

I will be rooting for Rashad and hoping the giant squid has a weakness.

Post #11   8/7/11 5:12:19PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:

Posted by ShadowFighter

i think jon jones is a good fighter, but i think evans can beat him no doubt

I want to know what aspect of MMA that Rashad is better that Jon in????? Jones is much bigger stronger, faster, strikes better, and has just as godd wrestling. As for BJJ its a toss up??? I cant come up with one...............Maybe the trash talking/hyping of a fight? But that **** donsn't win titles! Jones will smash Rashad in devastating fashion when they fight. I am willing to put my AV on the line for a year!

Last edited 8/8/11 7:35PM server time by bustedknuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   8/8/11 7:30:54PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jones isn't stronger than Evans. Just look at their Build. Im not saying Rashad is better, because he's not. But Jones is not going to be physically stronger than Rashad nor Tito.

Post #13   8/8/11 7:52:35PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Jones via TKO in the first.

Post #14   8/9/11 11:08:37AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
One thing I don't think anyone has brought up is the reach advantage Jones has. Longest reach in the ufc and at light heavy no less. Rashad is gonna have a problem with that when he tries to come inside on Jones and gets hit before he can.
And as for the height disadvantage Rashad has against Tito, if you look at the picture from the weigh-ins, Tito is wearing shoes while Rashad is barefoot. Tito is still bigger but not what the picture showed

Post #15   8/9/11 11:21:11AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2