Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Evans, Baby

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

npayant

I've gained some weight...

npayant Avatar

Career:1,859-934
Chips:

Posted by NickJames

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by NickJames

We have never seen Bones on his back

There's a reason for that.

Yeah, because the best wrestler he has fought is Ryan Bader lol.

He has never faced anyone with the ground skills that Evans has.

1. Bader's wrestling credentials are better than Evans' (not that that really matters in MMA all the time...but what you're saying sounds like Evans is the better wrestler)

2. Nothing against Rashad...he's a great fighter and will probably beat the majority of people at 205 right now... Jones is on a whole other planet. He's a freak. Have you watched his fights?!? Evans has never looked even close to as impressive as Jones, imo. If that fight ever happens I predict Evans looking rather silly and completely outclassed (like all of the others). It's going to take another freak or a miracle for Jones to lose his belt right now. My 2 cents...

Post #16   8/7/11 1:45:35AM   

NickJames

Learning to Sprawl

NickJames Avatar

Career:8-3
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by NickJames

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Jones >>>>>Evans

Really?

Explain..

Because I would agree that Jones' stand up is superior to Evans' but I think in both takedowns and the ground Rashad is a far more advanced fighter.

We have never seen Bones on his back and how well he works.. and with each fight Rashad is getting better and better at pounding his opponent out on the ground and finishing fights from there.

and with each fight Jones is getting better and better at pounding his opponent out on the ground and finishing fights from there.

True, but I still don't think Jones has a better takedown or ground game than Evans. Not after the way he dominated Silva, Rampage, and Tito.

Hamil/Vera/Matyushenko <<<< Silva/Rampage/Tito

Post #17   8/7/11 2:08:38AM   

NickJames

Learning to Sprawl

NickJames Avatar

Chips:
Jones' stand up is the best in the game right now, aside from the spider's. He's a freak in that aspect.

But he hasn't faced someone that has DISPLAYED the takedown/ground skills that Evans has shown against top contenders. Screw the credentials.. it's all about what you've done in fights.. and Rashad has the most explosive takedowns and ground in pound in the LHW division.

The way Jones responds the first time he gets put on his back in that fight will answer everything.

Post #18   8/7/11 2:14:25AM   

NickJames

Learning to Sprawl

NickJames Avatar

Chips:
See Evans is very fast at closing the distance with punches (specifically body) and going straight into the clinch and backing his opponent into the cage. From there I think he will trap Jones' long legs and bring him down everytime. I think Rashad is physically stronger than Jones.. just look at them. 'Shad has more mass.. Jones is built for stand up.

Post #19   8/7/11 2:20:52AM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
lol Gsquat is that you?

Post #20   8/7/11 2:22:48AM   

NickJames

Learning to Sprawl

NickJames Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by NickJames

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by NickJames

We have never seen Bones on his back

There's a reason for that.

Yeah, because the best wrestler he has fought is Ryan Bader lol.

He has never faced anyone with the ground skills that Evans has. There's a reason why Jones dodged him because of a finger injury then as soon as Rashad signed on to fight someone else Jones suddenly didn't need surgery. I'm not bashing Bones Jones but I think that whole situation is pretty suspect.

And the main thing that impressed me about Rashad tonight was the fact that he put one of the most experienced fighters on the ground in a Crucifix hold. Jones might of did the same thing to Matyushenko, but to do that to Tito.. thats saying something. Tito might be old, but you don't forget positioning and blocking transitions.

Vera is an established Greco-Roman wrestler. Hamill is a 3x Divission III National Champ plus has success in International freestyle and Greco-Roman competition. Matyushenko was a Soviet National Wreslting Champion on top of being a 2x National Junior College Champ. Bader is a 2x All American, placing as high as 4th in the country. Ortiz wrestled in college.

Nobody has ever TKO'd Shogun or made him quit due to strikes...Bones basically did both.

Bones has owned every opponent from start to finish. He has made some of the best wrestlers in the division look like children. He made of the best strikers in the division look like an amateur and make him want to quit. All of this while barely breaking a sweat. Rashad is no doubt a great fighter, but he can make none of these claims.

I understand what your saying.. but aside from all those credentials tito ortiz has shown a higher calibur ground game against top notch contenders in the past when it counts. Not in Soviet National championships.. Or any national championships.. but in the octagon. And Rashad put him in a crucifix hold. Thats sayin somethin.

And I am in no way saying Bones Jones isn't the top 1 or 2 LHW. His stand up is ridiculous. I'm not going to use the excuse that Shogun was out for a long time and coming off of surgery.. because either way he dominated shogun rua.

But i'm just sayin that it'll be really interesting to see how Bones responds when he is placed on his back, and when he fights rashad you can garuntee that he'll have to fight off his back atleast once. More than once if rashad hopes to stand a chance.. because standing up Bones will eat him alive.

I'd like to see Rampage land a couple good shots on Jones.. I'm interested in seeing how Jones responds to some pressure from a top contender. I don't see this fight telling much though because Rampage will chase him with that right hand all night until Jones knocks him out lol.

Post #21   8/7/11 2:33:21AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The point was that the best wrestlers are getting tooled, regardless of how good they are...which happen to have much better credentials than Rashad. The reason I went down that road though was simply in response to your statement.

Tito was once a wrestling powerhouse in the division 5 years ago. He's now nowhere near the top of the food chain in that regard now. In fact, the last person that Tito was able to take down with consistency was Ken Shamrock in '06. Just being a college wrestler no longer cuts the mustard in the UFC. And Tito took down Rashad tonight. On the other hand, much better wrestlers have not even come close to taking down Jones...actually quite the opposite. Putting Tito in a crucifix is nothing compared to what Jones has done to his opponents. It's not even in the same ballpark IMO. Rashad will never even get close enough for a TD either. Not only does Bones have the longest reach in the UFC, he has nearly a foot reach advantage over Rashad. I see Jon owning Rashad in all areas of the fight and for every minute of it as well. The fight is not too far away though, so I guess we'll see once it happens.

Post #22   8/7/11 3:06:38AM   

NickJames

Learning to Sprawl

NickJames Avatar

Chips:
Rashad's takedowns are equal to the explosiveness of GSP.. his former training buddy. If he wants to take Jon Jones down.. he is going to do it. The first high kick Jon Jones throws will result in a takedown.. especially in the 1st round, because Rashad is too explosive. From then on Bones' stand up will be limited because he has to stay prepared to defend the takedown.

Stop acting like his height is going to stop him from being taken down or that its this unheard of advantage.. plenty of tall fighters have been taken down and pounded by smaller guys, or guys with more muscle mass.

Like i said, we'll see how Jones does then when he's on his back.

How do you think rashad wont even get close to attempt a takedown? Evans will close the distance with punches forcing Jones to swing or block.. he'll tie up in the clinch push him into the cage.. trap his legs.. and waa-laa.. takedown. There isnt a person in the LHW division that is going to stop Suga from doing that. That is his gamplan, thats what he trains every single day, and that is his bread and butter.

And don't forget.. Jones was the one that ducked HIM.. not the other way around. They used to train together.. they obviously know something we don't. I bet Bones couldnt get off his back when Rashad was on him.

I'll be glad when this mystique around Jones is blasted out the park.. ya'll act like he's this untouchable guy who is going to reign forever. Do you know how many fighters have gained this same mystique and been crushed? Alot.

Jones has the best stand up in the division.. Evans has the best takedowns/ground game in the division. It'll be a great fight.

Post #23   8/7/11 3:51:46AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
lets be honest here...i think its safe to say rashad has never fought jones with jones really wanting to hurt him.....rashad use to be a fav fighter but jones is gonna work rampage and then him...

Post #24   8/7/11 8:39:29AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,016-1,193
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

lets be honest here...i think its safe to say rashad has never fought jones with jones really wanting to hurt him.....rashad use to be a fav fighter but jones is gonna work rampage and then him...

I actually agree with you for once, kingsmasher. The reach advantage of Jones will keep Evans takedowns in check and keep him on the outside, exactly where Jones wants it. IMO, Jones striking is too diverse for Evans. Plus, if you thought that Tito was bigger then Evans, wait till you see that weigh in. It's gonna be laughable

Post #25   8/7/11 11:14:31AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,419-833
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I hope Quinton lands a bomb and ruins everybody's plan

Post #26   8/7/11 11:16:33AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Jones will beat everyone in the ufc and hendo as well
I won't be picking against jones for a few years

Post #27   8/7/11 2:18:22PM   

DrenologyMMA

Learning to Sprawl

Career:84-80
Chips:
I agree, everyone knowing what Jones is capable with his attributes inside the octagon. If we do see Rashad get the takedowns on Jones then its straight sweeps from there with his long legs I mean, I can't see Evans doing anything from full guard or trying to get to half or barely gettng into side control. Plus that game plan is so wack, why do you think Evans and Rampage fight was butt? He's going to try to use it cause his reach is minimal to Jones and he has no other choice but to shoot for the takedowns.

Post #28   8/7/11 5:36:11PM   

NickJames

Learning to Sprawl

NickJames Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DrenologyMMA

I agree, everyone knowing what Jones is capable with his attributes inside the octagon. If we do see Rashad get the takedowns on Jones then its straight sweeps from there with his long legs I mean, I can't see Evans doing anything from full guard or trying to get to half or barely gettng into side control. Plus that game plan is so wack, why do you think Evans and Rampage fight was butt? He's going to try to use it cause his reach is minimal to Jones and he has no other choice but to shoot for the takedowns.

For the casual fan takedowns and ground control might seem boring.. but in the sport they are the foundation for great MMA.

That spinning back fist/elbow that Jones loves.. he better scrap that altogether when he fights Shad because it will result in him getting taken down every time. High kicks? He'll be taken down.

A wrestler of Evan's calibur will limit ALOT of the **** that Jones throws standing up.. we've yet to see how Bones reacts to that type of pressure. Not to mention on his back.

Post #29   8/7/11 9:17:27PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

I hope Quinton lands a bomb and ruins everybody's plan

Post #30   8/8/11 9:16:56AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3