Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos at UFC 139

Print  
Who takes it?
Cain Valesquez 24 57%
Junior dos Santos 18 43%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Looks like Zuffa is using UFC 133 to unload a bunch of big news today. While it's been reported as far back as June, reports indicate that the UFC is set to officially announce that Cain Velasquez's first title defense will take place against Junior dos Santos at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California.

The real news, however, is this MMA Fighting bit on Velasquez's shoulder injury:

Velasquez was first injured during his UFC 121 championship victory over Brock Lesnar, tearing his right rotator cuff, a setback that was expected to take between 6-8 months to heal. After a long layoff and rehabilitation, he recently ramped up his workouts and is said to be progressing well.

LINK

Post #1   8/4/11 11:53:36PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I hope Cain will be 100 percent for this fight. I like both fighters but I will be rooting for Cain.

Something tells me one of these fighters will be the GSP of the division and the other will be the Fitch.

Post #2   8/5/11 1:29:59AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Heavyweight fight, pick the finisher.

Post #3   8/5/11 1:34:34AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,136-1,243
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
YES!!!! I'm SO pumped for this fight. It wouldn't surprise me if this fight is a fight of the year candidate when all is said and done. Cain has amazing cardio and his wrestling is on point every match. Dos Santos has great standup to go his jiu-jitsu. Both have ko power. It's a toss up. Glad we finally have a date for when this is gonna go down

Post #4   8/5/11 2:04:29AM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I hope Cain will be 100 percent for this fight. I like both fighters but I will be rooting for Cain.

Something tells me one of these fighters will be the GSP of the division and the other will be the Fitch.

What do you mean by that? They are going to be boring? and not finish fights? Junior wins this Rd 2 KO in pretty dominating fashon

Post #5   8/5/11 8:33:32AM   

otacon279

MMA Regular

otacon279 Avatar

Career:669-401
Chips:
JDS

Post #6   8/5/11 9:42:24AM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
Cain is the best, he takes it.

Post #7   8/5/11 9:46:36AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
So excited for this.

Both Cain and JDS have proven that superior skill and athleticism can beat size and power in the heavyweight division. Will it last forever? I doubt it, but it should for a while. Plus, these guys are clearly at the top of the division now and each has a valid chance of winning the fight.

The big questions with Cain for me are two-fold - will he be as hittable as he was in the Kongo fight, and will he be able to impose takedowns on JDS who's shown rather good takedown defense and scrambling? Cain has an excellent chin and the best cardio at HW along with impressive hands, but he'll lose the fight if he eats too many jabs then fails when looking to change levels. He may also be looking to land more leg kicks, but he'll need to time them properly to avoid counters. He may not even need to nail too many takedowns at the start. Constant pressure might be the key for him, since based on past experience his cardio seems better than JDS's.

For JDS, I'm questioning his gameplan and his cardio. He fought smart against Carwin and looked fresh at the end, and I think a similar gameplan could be effective against Cain. Carwin has the best one-punch power of all of them, but combinations will mess you up as well and Cain is ridiculously good at stringing his punches together. JDS should have the height and reach advantage, so staying on the outside is to his benefit. And while he was breathing easy at the end of the Carwin fight, he did punch himself out a bit at the end of the first round. If he's having to scramble too much or if Cain finds a way to hold him down and work heavily from the bottom, he might start to fade. Remember that before Carwin, JDS was a bit sluggish towards the end of the Roy Nelson fight, and that was almost entirely on the feet.

Personally I'm picking a healthy Cain in a clear 5 round win with some stiff resistance from JDS towards the first half of the fight, but I think if Cain's not fully healed or if JDS is in crazy awesome shape with a solid gameplan, he can definitely take the belt.

Last edited 8/5/11 10:12AM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #8   8/5/11 10:10:32AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tn_rebel

Posted by KungFuMaster

What do you mean by that? They are going to be boring? and not finish fights? Junior wins this Rd 2 KO in pretty dominating fashon

One will own the division and the other will be the runner up for a while. I thought it was self explanatory. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

Post #9   8/5/11 12:29:55PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:
Cain and Junior are two of the smartest fighters in the heavy weight division. Both will come in with excellent game plans.

Junior's game plan will not differ from the one he put on against Carwin. He will try to use his reach to stick and move. He will employ his jab and stay on the outside and try not to let Cain get in too close. He will be hesitant to throw bombs because he will be worried about Cain's take downs.

Cain's game plan will be to pressure Junior and force him to attack. Cain will be looking to land punches but at the same time he will be looking for take downs. He will throw combinations and maybe follow it up with a kick. He will have Junior back pedaling for a good duration of the fight.

In the precipice, when both fighters are committed to with-holding their ground, Junior will throw bombs and Cain will look to punch his way in for a knock out or a take down.

My prediction: I have never seen either of these fighters wilt but I think Junior will will after a few rounds of being pressured and clinched.

Post #10   8/5/11 1:02:35PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Chips:
The only Cain had with someone who was a as good of striker as him was Kongo and if it wasn't for Cain's shoestring takedowns, he would have probably been finished 4 or 5 times in that fight. In my opinion Junior is far better on his feet that Cain, and has far better takedown defense than Kongo. I don't see Cain being able to tie his shoestrings together the way he did Kongo's.

Post #11   8/5/11 1:10:17PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
a healthy Cain will win this fight easily 49-46. his wrestling and scrambles are far better than JDS.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #12   8/5/11 1:28:53PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I will be there just hope faber vs bowles is not co main event

Post #13   8/5/11 3:02:13PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by tn_rebel

The only Cain had with someone who was a as good of striker as him was Kongo and if it wasn't for Cain's shoestring takedowns, he would have probably been finished 4 or 5 times in that fight. In my opinion Junior is far better on his feet that Cain, and has far better takedown defense than Kongo. I don't see Cain being able to tie his shoestrings together the way he did Kongo's.

how can anyone not bring up the kongo fight, cain was rocked everytime he got close but was able to secure the TD to recover, I dont think he will be able to do that to JDS everytime n will get finished.

Another huge factor which no one is bringing up is RING RUST, cain torn his shoulder and it will have been over a YEAR since he fought. I dont know the odds but i feel like JDS is an easy pick for me. either way it will be an awesome fight but I feel JDS just to much going for him right now

Post #14   8/5/11 3:07:15PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by tn_rebel

how can anyone not bring up the kongo fight, cain was rocked everytime he got close but was able to secure the TD to recover, I dont think he will be able to do that to JDS everytime n will get finished.

Another huge factor which no one is bringing up is RING RUST, cain torn his shoulder and it will have been over a YEAR since he fought. I dont know the odds but i feel like JDS is an easy pick for me. either way it will be an awesome fight but I feel JDS just to much going for him right now

Got to spread the love but your exactly right.

Post #15   8/5/11 3:10:55PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2