Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko released from Strikeforce

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,399
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
At the UFC 133 press conference it was announced by UFC president Dana White that Fedor Emelianenko has been released from his Strikeforce contract. Fedor is riding a three fight losing streak while carrying a hefty price tag and a management team with a long history of proving difficult for Zuffa to deal with. That combination makes this a much less shocking cut than the recent release of Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

This does, however, continue the thinning out of the Strikeforce roster and the likely eventual dissolving of the promotion once the Showtime deal hits completion.

LINK

Post #1   8/4/11 3:08:10PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
...back to DREAM for some freak show fights to close out his career.

You'll be missed, Fedor.

Post #2   8/4/11 3:09:58PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
T-Minus _ seconds until the Dana White hate hits extreme levels.

Don't hate on Uncle Dana, hate on the fact that Fedor didn't deliver in his last three fights.

Post #3   8/4/11 3:11:32PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"Fedor is riding a three fight losing streak while carrying a hefty price tag and a management team with a long history of proving difficult for Zuffa to deal with."

That sounds a lot like someone else I know..

Oh wait..

Just replace management team with Tito himself and Zuffa with Dana White.

Last edited 8/4/11 3:25PM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   8/4/11 3:24:08PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

"Fedor is riding a three fight losing streak while carrying a hefty price tag and a management team with a long history of proving difficult for Zuffa to deal with."

That sounds a lot like someone else I know..

Oh wait..

Just replace management team with Tito himself and Zuffa with Dana White.

If reports are true, Tito's pricetag doesn't even compare to Fedor's. Also, Tito didn't have a hardon for co-branding.

Post #5   8/4/11 3:26:53PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Chips:
Didn't see this one coming . Strikeforce is dropping all their heavyweights before the heavyweight GP is even over. Zuffa is in a hurry. Its kinda a bummer ending to a storied career. You will ALWAYS be one of the best in my eyes Emelianenko Fedor

Post #6   8/4/11 3:35:05PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

You'll be missed, Fedor.

It leaves a potential superfight between uber and fedor nye?

Post #7   8/4/11 3:39:19PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
No Fedor, Henderson, Diaz, Shields, or Overeem? Someone please give me a reason to continue to watch Strikeforce.

Post #8   8/4/11 3:52:11PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,478-860
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by emfleek

You'll be missed, Fedor.

It leaves a potential superfight between uber and fedor nye?

That's what I was thinking too.

Post #9   8/4/11 3:53:49PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
He did always put on good fights he will be missed for that....I dont see M1 doing much in the states now thats for sure...

What I dont understand then why even buy Strikeforce...Makes absolutely no sense...Someone please explain it to me...They were about to go under werent they for their own financial reasons werent they? Unless Zuffa thoguht that would get them in the room with showtime to negotiate...

Im confused...

I guess when I think about it theyve really only cut Fedor and Overeem two people who were difficult...I understnad Overeems cut cause he liked to fight elsewhere and thats risky when he woudl prolly headline A card and if he were to get injured and thats something IM sure the UFC has seen too much of this year...

Post #10   8/4/11 3:59:22PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by tn_rebel

No Fedor, Henderson, Diaz, Shields, or Overeem? Someone please give me a reason to continue to watch Strikeforce.

IM betting Strikeforce and UFC combine before the end of the year...I bet new years eve is a big card of fights of the SF and UFC champs for one champion...When Dana said in his interview about big things at the end of the year IM seeing this is all it can be...

Last edited 8/4/11 4:13PM server time by kingsmasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   8/4/11 4:12:46PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Regardless of the 3 straight losses, Fedor is still one of the biggest names in mma. Every indication tells me Zuffa is getting ready to close Strike Force as soon as all contracts have been fulfilled.

The urgency to close out the HW grand prix, the release of Overeem, the refusal to resign Henderson, and the release of Fedor all indicate to me Zuffa is planning to close Strike Force or merge it with the ufc. In any event, some notable fighters will be left out.

Post #12   8/4/11 4:14:17PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,766-1,590
Chips:
I'm not all that surprised. I'd like to see him get a couple wins in a smaller promotion and then call it a day.

Post #13   8/4/11 4:14:57PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

He did always put on good fights he will be missed for that....I dont see M1 doing much in the states now thats for sure...

What I dont understand then why even buy Strikeforce...Makes absolutely no sense...Someone please explain it to me...They were about to go under werent they for their own financial reasons werent they? Unless Zuffa thoguht that would get them in the room with showtime to negotiate...

Im confused...

I guess when I think about it theyve really only cut Fedor and Overeem two people who were difficult...I understnad Overeems cut cause he liked to fight elsewhere and thats risky when he woudl prolly headline A card and if he were to get injured and thats something IM sure the UFC has seen too much of this year...

Maybe just to make sure no one else could buy them. There's always a chance of some Mark Cuban / Donald Trump type person dropping a ton of money into the organization to try to turn some kind of profit if they think they see the opportunity. It would be an easy way to enter the market without having to worry about any of the startup costs. It's probably worth it for the UFC to make sure that they get rid of one of their biggest competitors while farming whatever contracts they feel are worth taking.

Post #14   8/4/11 4:21:57PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by tn_rebel

IM betting Strikeforce and UFC combine before the end of the year...I bet new years eve is a big card of fights of the SF and UFC champs for one champion...When Dana said in his interview about big things at the end of the year IM seeing this is all it can be...

Won't be this year...contracts prevent that from happening.

Post #15   8/4/11 4:25:16PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3