Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bobby Lashley enlists fellow pro wrestler Josh Barnett for MMA career guidance

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After locking up in rings overseas and rolling backstage between worked wrestling matches, Bobby Lashley (6-1) has found an advocate in Josh Barnett (30-5).

The two recently paired up in Barnett's backyard of Irvine, Calif. After an intense training weekend, Lashley, who hopes to return to the cage in the fall, has seen the benefit of working with the Strikeforce heavyweight and hopes to make it a regular thing.

LINK

Post #1   8/4/11 9:52:11AM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,206-1,363
Camp: Bum Chin Black Belts
Chips:
Think its a great idea for Lashley, Barnett has been there and done it all. Lashely with a good camp, cardio and wrestling could be a force if he really commits.

Post #2   8/4/11 10:42:25AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mattjonesy

Think its a great idea for Lashley, Barnett has been there and done it all. Lashely with a good camp, cardio and wrestling could be a force if he really commits.

He needs to work on losing some muscle and REALLY work on his conditioning. If he does that and learns the game he has all the potential to be a good fighter. That's a lot to ask for though and I'm interested to see if he can really go somewhere.

Post #3   8/4/11 11:27:56AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by mattjonesy

He needs to work on losing some muscle and REALLY work on his conditioning. If he does that and learns the game he has all the potential to be a good fighter. That's a lot to ask for though and I'm interested to see if he can really go somewhere.

a lot of guys that come in from other professions still think its all about the muscles and forget the cardio. Hammerhouse is notorious for big muscles and no cardio

Post #4   8/4/11 11:31:02AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by mattjonesy

a lot of guys that come in from other professions still think its all about the muscles and forget the cardio. Hammerhouse is notorious for big muscles and no cardio

It was very hard to watch Lashley's last fight. He had a very poor performance over a guy he should, in theory crush. I hope he learns from that and starts to evolve into a more realistic looking mma fighter. He's young and still could have a future in the sport.

Post #5   8/4/11 11:42:36AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In my book, enlisting Josh Barnett for career advice is like asking Charlie Sheen to be your sponsor for Narcotics Anonymous. Barnett can hardly fight anywhere that isn't Japan or Mexico lol.

If he is looking for advice on how to **** off his potential, and how to destroy promotions, Barnett is the perfect mentor.

RIP AFFLICTION!!!

Post #6   8/4/11 12:02:14PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I think Lashley needs to learn how to fight standing, in the transitions and scrambles, he also needs to learn how to react to getting hit. Just learning a rnc after getting ko'd, isnt gonna help.

Post #7   8/4/11 12:03:24PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

In my book, enlisting Josh Barnett for career advice is like asking Charlie Sheen to be your sponsor for Narcotics Anonymous. Barnett can hardly fight anywhere that isn't Japan or Mexico lol.

If he is looking for advice on how to **** off his potential, and how to destroy promotions, Barnett is the perfect mentor.

RIP AFFLICTION!!!

Barnett did do in Affliction, along with their record fighter payroll. They treated the fighters well, at the expense of the promotion. I mean on one hand it was good cuz the fighters were making good money but at the same time, as an organization, you have to be smart and think ahead

Last edited 8/4/11 1:07PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   8/4/11 1:05:04PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

RIP AFFLICTION!!!

com'on barnett is a good hw n had really good fights so he got caught with PED doesnt he desreve a 2nd chance, 3rd chance, 4th chance, 5th chance, 6th chance................to the Nth Chance

but for real barnett would be a good training partner cause he is a good figther plus looking at him may sink into lashley that its not a bodybuilding contest

Post #9   8/4/11 4:35:21PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,206-1,363
Camp: Bum Chin Black Belts
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by mattjonesy

Totally agree with you, im guessing its very difficult to loose muscle when u train like an animal for so many years. Brocks the only really big guy in MMA who seems to carry it well maybe Overeem.

Post #10   8/4/11 6:37:23PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mattjonesy

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by mattjonesy

Totally agree with you, im guessing its very difficult to loose muscle when u train like an animal for so many years. Brocks the only really big guy in MMA who seems to carry it well maybe Overeem.

Brock's managed to get a better body for mma over the years. Lashley is just puffed up with muscles that require a lot of energy and that is terrible for mma. It's going to take a long time to switch over and he has to be committed to it. I really hope he does because when it comes down to it he's a strong guy with solid wrestling and that does well in mma.

Post #11   8/4/11 6:42:51PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Wasnt he wrestling at like 180 in college?

BUt yeah, i agree with the thread. Lashley is doomed to be mediocre at this sport unless he sheds off like 50 pounds of unnecassary muscle.

Post #12   8/5/11 1:46:04AM