Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

2011 ABC Report on the Half Point MMA Scoring System

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) holds annual conventions, and last year veteran MMA referee and judge Nelson "Doc" Hamilton presented the Half-Point Scoring System as an alternative to the Ten Point Must. A Scoring Committee was then formed to explore the merits of the system and report their findings the following year.

If you're not familiar with the innovative ideas associated with the Half-Point System -- such as the broader gradient of available scores, the referee signaling a near-submission, or the role of the additional fourth judge -- you should be. I suggest reading Doc Hamilton's theory about the existing problems with MMA judging and how the Half-Point System would offer the freedom "to score bouts in a manner that accurately reflects the qualitative difference between the combatants."

The 2011 ABC convention concluded last weekend and I just received a copy of the Scoring Committee's analysis of the Half-Point System. I'm encouraged by the results. The report lays out the positive and negative aspects of each individual component of the system, and their findings indicate a very logical and realistic stance on the judging predicament overall. The entire report is posted in the full entry, but first, I'll extract and compile what I feel are the most noteworthy parts.

LINK

Post #1   8/1/11 8:40:35PM   

stevemeade420

Learning to Sprawl

Career:407-304
Chips:
this could be vary good for mma, id like to see it used in amateur's first to see if it is a better system. i dont really think there is a problem with the 10 point system its the ****** judges that need a to learn how to judge ima not get into this cause it pisses me off to much when peoples records. i wish it wasnt the athletic commission that chose the judges, when it comes down to it, its all the commissions fault for these ****** up score cards.

Post #2   8/1/11 9:30:52PM   

Patchedup15

MMA Regular

Patchedup15 Avatar

Career:514-380
Chips:

Posted by stevemeade420

this could be vary good for mma, id like to see it used in amateur's first to see if it is a better system. i dont really think there is a problem with the 10 point system its the ****** judges that need a to learn how to judge ima not get into this cause it pisses me off to much when peoples records. i wish it wasnt the athletic commission that chose the judges, when it comes down to it, its all the commissions fault for these ****** up score cards.

That's actually a good idea to have amateurs use it first.. i like the idea but was worried if the sudden change would have been wise given it was untested. Maybe a 10-9.5 round would help to explain very close rounds where one fighter is in control but not doing damage. also i think we need more 10-10 rounds.

At the very least we need to know how judges score. is it based off the entirety of the round or who's winning at the end. some fighters like to work their opponent and let them gas then strike. granted these dodgy counter strikers or lay and pray fighters are boring.. but still.. a strategy is a strategy

Post #3   8/1/11 9:38:49PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Patchedup15

Posted by stevemeade420

That's actually a good idea to have amateurs use it first..

There was an article that seems like it must've been almost a year ago about this and that they were going to try it out immediately at the amateur level.

I like the idea in theory. I know they have to get it just right and get the judges proper training but so much for moving things along quickly with the amateur testing like they were planning to.

Post #4   8/1/11 10:01:21PM   

stevemeade420

Learning to Sprawl

Career:407-304
Chips:
Since the start of 2011, California has experimented with a half-point scoring system on its amateur shows, both to get feedback from its judges, and also to compile statistics At the end of the year

copy n paste for site i copied this from for full story the link insert wont work

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/11/2270306/half-point-scoring-system-wont-transform-judging-without-competence

Post #5   8/1/11 10:18:53PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Chips:
aha, that makes sense. So they're already over halfway through compiling the data on the amateur fights where they're using this system.. Thanks Steve

Post #6   8/1/11 11:32:00PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Chips:
If it is Cali it's probably CAMMO.....the Cali Amatuer MMA Org....I just don't see the point as it is still the same thing with a different name. 10 point system allows for a 10 8 round.....judges just wont utilize that option.

Post #7   8/2/11 12:07:55AM   

TheBlackChip

MMA Regular

TheBlackChip Avatar

Career:775-367
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Why do people keep insisting that there is something wrong with the scoring system? This whole little study is just the commission trying to find excuses for their incompetent judges. Seriously, every time a bad decision is made, the majority of seasoned MMA fans know it. It's not because they're using a half-point system in their heads, it's because they have two eyes and a decent understanding of the sport. MMA judges should be great MMA minds, and they're not, and that's the problem.

Last edited 8/2/11 12:12AM server time by TheBlackChip
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   8/2/11 12:10:16AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Chips:
I have not read the article yet, but I am going into it hugely skeptical.

What's the difference between a 29-28 and a 29.5-29? It's the close rounds that are the problem, the ones that the judges are getting wrong. Making it a half-point does nothing to make those decisions easier. If anything, the only benefit is that in theory it will give more weight to a clear round winner, but the same thing could be achieved with being looser with the 10-8 rounds.

In fact, I would bet that an adoption of the half-point system would result in 10-9 becoming 10-9.5, and 10-8 becoming 10-9.

Even worse, what if the greater amount of choices for bad judges results in less of them getting it right. Think about it. . . If you are having problems with people making the right choice from 5 possibilities (10-10, 10-9, 9-10, 10-8, 8-10), does it make sense to give them 9 choices (10-10, 10-9.5, 10-9, 9.5-10, 9-10, 10-8.5, 8.5-10, 10-8, 8-10) and think they are more likely to choose the right one?

Post #9   8/2/11 12:13:34AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

I have not read the article yet, but I am going into it hugely skeptical.

What's the difference between a 29-28 and a 29.5-29? It's the close rounds that are the problem, the ones that the judges are getting wrong. Making it a half-point does nothing to make those decisions easier. If anything, the only benefit is that in theory it will give more weight to a clear round winner, but the same thing could be achieved with being looser with the 10-8 rounds.

In fact, I would bet that an adoption of the half-point system would result in 10-9 becoming 10-9.5, and 10-8 becoming 10-9.

Even worse, what if the greater amount of choices for bad judges results in less of them getting it right. Think about it. . . If you are having problems with people making the right choice from 5 possibilities (10-10, 10-9, 9-10, 10-8, 8-10), does it make sense to give them 9 choices (10-10, 10-9.5, 10-9, 9.5-10, 9-10, 10-8.5, 8.5-10, 10-8, 8-10) and think they are more likely to choose the right one?

coudlnt agree more, the problem is not the scoring system but the judges. although i think a 9-9 should be in place. why should it 10-10, no one won the rd so y get 10. who cares if it makes the math easier if it was a tied rd then neither fighter won. prb makes no diff But maybe sum judges do not know simple math

so many things factor into a mma fight and judges needs to be well educated in mma to understand. i hate this topic of mma judging too much to say

Post #10   8/2/11 8:59:18AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
I'm in favor of a half point system, but I'm not sure if that's gonna change the way the judges see the fight. How many time have the scores indicated that the judges don't understand what's going on during a fight? Too many to count. I would rather the commissions find judges that understand the mma game. I'm in favor of hiring only ex refs and ex fighters. It may prove difficult tho. This is just a suggestion and not a whole solution

Post #11   8/2/11 12:47:29PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I’ve always thought that they just need judges that are more focused on scoring specific parts of the fight. One judge for Submissions one for grappling and one for striking.

Post #12   8/2/11 1:11:33PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

I'm in favor of a half point system, but I'm not sure if that's gonna change the way the judges see the fight. How many time have the scores indicated that the judges don't understand what's going on during a fight? Too many to count. I would rather the commissions find judges that understand the mma game. I'm in favor of hiring only ex refs and ex fighters. It may prove difficult tho. This is just a suggestion and not a whole solution

i dont think u can do ex fighters because their judgment might be blurred by training partners or friends

Post #13   8/2/11 2:25:45PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
There is already a fighter judging fights I just can't remember his name. If anyone on the playground can help me with that, I got a prop waiting with your name on it

Post #14   8/2/11 6:37:37PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

There is already a fighter judging fights I just can't remember his name. If anyone on the playground can help me with that, I got a prop waiting with your name on it

Matt Hume used to do fights in Japan, but I am not sure if he does anymore.

Post #15   8/2/11 7:46:30PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2