Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor thinks stoppage was early

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't think it was early at all
Hendo would have kept dropping bombs on him

Post #31   7/31/11 7:11:53PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I was there, about five feet away in the third row. When I saw it live I thought the fight was ended early. First couple replays I thought the fight was stopped early.

Now I'm not so sure. At the very least, I don't think you can fault Herb Dean.

I'm pretty confident that Fedor could have kept fighting and probably made it to the end of the round. He's known for taking punishment and fighting back. Especially since they were on the ground. However, the way he dropped after that first shot gave Herb a good reason to jump in. He was definitely out for a second or two. I don't agree with the people who are saying that he only came to after the fight was stopped though. He clearly started rolling and moving BEFORE Herb had stopped it (although he was on his way in.)

One thing that a lot of you might not be thinking about: That was a very quick turn around. Fedor had Henderson down and was landing good shots. Herb was probably watching very closely to see if he needed to stop the fight in FEDOR'S favor. Then, in about two seconds, Henderson hit a switch and knocked Fedor out. Herb Dean was probably as surprised as all of us when he saw that. Only difference is that there's a lot more pressure on him. It's his job to protect the fighters. That pressure combined with the sudden shock of a turn around might have lead him to make a quicker decision than usual.

So to sum it up if you don't want to read my whole post: Could Fedor have kept going? Mosty likely. Does that mean Herb made a bad call? Not at all.

Edit: xdanish020 gave me props for this post but said I should have mentioned how Fedor "got up like a drunken monkey." Its true that Fedor was on very wobbly legs. I'm not sure that really factors in to the discussion though. We've seen fighters fight through a bad case of the wobbles before, like the Kongo v Barry fight mentioned before. Especially considering they were on the ground. I doubt any one is trying to say he wasn't hurt (which the wobbles would disprove) they're saying he could have recovered.

Last edited 7/31/11 8:54PM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #32   7/31/11 7:13:13PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

It looks like his elbow is flopping when he is on the ground! He's intelligently defending himself! Terrible stoppage!!!

LMFAO

I have to spread the love otherwise you would be getting some props for that

Post #33   7/31/11 9:44:35PM   

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:
Fedor was out. He was out of the fight (not defending himself) therefore a KO/TKO victory for Hendo was called. Congratulations to Dan, F**k the Fedor nuthuggers!
Something tells me Dana was like

Post #34   7/31/11 11:16:24PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
not an early stoppage, but a very quick victory

Post #35   8/1/11 12:20:55AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
All I know is that if this fight was fought in Pride, Fedor would have received every opportunity to continue and possibly pull a come back.

Some Japanese referees tend to give well known and or established fighters a fighting chance when the fighters are seemingly unconscious (except for the case of Sakuraba vs Shamrock and maybe a few more)

Was Fedor knocked out? Yes, for a very brief moment.

Could he have continued? Without a doubt.

IMO, the most important question is - Was Fedor intelligently defending himself?

Fedor did not see the uppercut from the bottom which flatten him out. That punch does not count. The next punch hits him in the back of the head it seems>>>Fedor responds quickly to get to a better position while eating one or two more shots.

A great argument can be made for stopping the fight and a great argument can be made for letting it continue.

I believe Fedor suffered a flash knock out and Fedor came out of it as fast as it happened. There is no doubt in my mind Fedor was coherent when he made the transition to get to a better position to defend himself.

What I believe is the tragedy of this fight is the fact Fedor was on all fours when the flash knock out took place. It sent an ugly and disturbing image to the viewers and official(s) as they witnessed a fighter collapsing and being flatten out in front of them.

Had Fedor been on his feet when the flash knock out took place, I am confident he would not have fallen limp onto the mat. He would be wobbling and hanging on for dear life as he was when he fought Fujita.

Overall, it was a great fight. Fedor wins in stunning fashion and he loses in stunning fashion which is how it ought to be for a warrior of his caliber. No wins or losses can deny Fedor a place in mma history for the tribulations he has endured.

Post #36   8/1/11 12:53:47AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,063-1,277
Chips:
I think the stoppage was fine.... but then again you think about the Kongo/Barry fight...and how that wasnt stopped, but this was....

dont leave it in the hands of the judges or refs.... either knock them out cold where they are not moving for 5 mins, or break a limb or put em to sleep

Post #37   8/1/11 9:16:10AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
I feel the stoppage was fine. But i think herb had already made the dec when he saw fedor face plant cause otherwise i dont see how u dont DQ hendo for what looks like bombs to the back of fedor's head. from the position they were it looked bad too so i can see y he did stop it just cause face planting usually mean the punch put you out. I know he recovered quick but it doesnt discount the fact he was out face 1st into the mat. plus i think he only recovers becuase herb came in n hendo stopped otherwise hendo keeps going n fedor never recovers.

i know this is off topic how did fedor not get a point for the fence grab cause it looked clear that hendo was bout to slam him and was only prevented by the fence grab. it may have been the 1st offence but it cleary stopped a TD

Post #38   8/1/11 10:28:46AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Manak

I feel the stoppage was fine. But i think herb had already made the dec when he saw fedor face plant cause otherwise i dont see how u dont DQ hendo for what looks like bombs to the back of fedor's head. from the position they were it looked bad too so i can see y he did stop it just cause face planting usually mean the punch put you out. I know he recovered quick but it doesnt discount the fact he was out face 1st into the mat. plus i think he only recovers becuase herb came in n hendo stopped otherwise hendo keeps going n fedor never recovers.

If you look at the GIF I posted on the first page, you'll see that Herb runs up to get a better look at Fedor's face...once he confirmed that he was out, he stepped in. When a fight is pretty much a wrap, those shots to the back of the head go unnoticed. It's actually more common than you'd think. They only seem to get this sort of scrutiny when the credibility of the stoppage itself comes into play.

for example

i know this is off topic how did fedor not get a point for the fence grab cause it looked clear that hendo was bout to slam him and was only prevented by the fence grab. it may have been the 1st offence but it cleary stopped a TD

Herb warned him that another grab would cost him a point. I've never seen a point deduction on a single fence grab though, no matter how significant it was.

Post #39   8/1/11 11:24:59AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Manak

If you look at the GIF I posted on the first page, you'll see that Herb runs up to get a better look at Fedor's face...once he confirmed that he was out, he stepped in. When a fight is pretty much a wrap, those shots to the back of the head go unnoticed. It's actually more common than you'd think. They only seem to get this sort of scrutiny when the credibility of the stoppage itself comes into play.

for example

Herb warned him that another grab would cost him a point. I've never seen a point deduction on a single fence grab though, no matter how significant it was.

that makes sense, i guess i meant if he had let it go on then how do u not penalize him at least a point or worse

Post #40   8/1/11 1:22:25PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manak

that makes sense, i guess i meant if he had let it go on then how do u not penalize him at least a point or worse

Yeah, if it were to continue, I agree that would be a sticky situation.

Post #41   8/1/11 1:47:37PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jekyll

sorry your hero lost, grow a sense of hurmor...

Find a new website to troll. You're done.

thank you! tried props but spreading the love is a bitch

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #42   8/1/11 2:09:51PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
Kongo/Barry
Sanchez/Penn
Carwin/Lesnar
Fedor/Hendo
Diaz/Daley

one of these doesn't belong, can you guess which? 4 of them had flash KO and/or constant beatdowns which most fights would have been stopped but were allowed to continue. the other one had a flash KO and fight was instantly stopped. all 5 fights were main events where we all know fights are allowed to continue a bit longer

Edgar/Maynard II might have a case to join the 4 as well

Last edited 8/1/11 2:21PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #43   8/1/11 2:18:51PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Kongo/Barry
Sanchez/Penn
Carwin/Lesnar
Fedor/Hendo
Diaz/Daley

one of these doesn't belong, can you guess which? 4 of them had flash KO and/or constant beatdowns which most fights would have been stopped but were allowed to continue. the other one had a flash KO and fight was instantly stopped. all 5 fights were main events where we all know fights are allowed to continue a bit longer

vaild, but i think the main diff was outside kongo/barry they were title fights (i still think the carwin fight should have been stopped) but I do not remember any of those guys out face 1st in the mat, fedor looked bad from point of veiw, I think this topic can go either way i see both sides so im done, time to relax the brain

Post #44   8/1/11 3:23:39PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Kongo/Barry
Sanchez/Penn
Carwin/Lesnar
Fedor/Hendo
Diaz/Daley

4 of those fights had a fighter in serious trouble...the one that doesn't belong was the one with the fighter unconscious and eating canvas.

Post #45   8/1/11 7:07:03PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3